Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Don't feel cr@p, feel proud biggrin

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
aww man, dont feel bad, we are all just learning, and its nice to say when youve learned something, encourages you to learn more, and you can go back.

Happy travels

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Hehe yeah like I said, you'll have to put up with us newbie/intermediaries!

I got quad corkscrew into quad windmill this morn. biggrin biggrin

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
well apparently i can do both a buzzsaw and isolated weave, thanx to Sprialx for the clarification. he also showed me butterfly waist wrap + i got a few okish hyperloops this morning, thanx again dude...beerchug

can contact weave staff + just about piroette behind the head as well as a few neck/shoulder spins thanx to dave + simian... beerchug still a long way to go before they're smooth and linking but i'm lovin it! biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Quote:

well apparently i can do both a buzzsaw and isolated weave, thanx to Sprialx for the clarification. he also showed me butterfly waist wrap + i got a few okish hyperloops this morning, thanx again dude...beerchug

No problem smile

I've got butterfly hyperloop double wrist/bicep wraps now.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
very nice... that looked sweet when laura did it by accident so it must be even better when it's intentional! biggrin

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
clock time.

double hyps

some contact....

3 ball start...

T wave

-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yoyos
(poi)

reverse yoyos(took me [censored] ages to get the blind catch last night....)

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
OMG OMG OMG

I FINALLY LEARNED THREAD THE NEEDLE!!!!! this took me for [censored] forever to learn. spitfire tried for ages to teach me, and i just finally gave up. but tonight i was chilling with some friends, and my boy fraggle taught me in like less than a minute! he sooooo rocks!!!! *sigh* i'm so happy now.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
wooo hoo! go pounce!

errm,

'reverse' weave.

something else i cant remember....

T wave

-><- Kallisti

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
woo hoo! go me!

multi beat airwraps, clean biggrin biggrin biggrin

both side slam (nanana cole! tongue )

T ;wave:

-><- Kallisti

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
A true TTN weave (butterfly weave, whatever it is called)... before I had this strange added beat where the butterfly seperated for a beat, got rid of it making it a real one.

BTB throw, half rotation, BTB catch
Throw > BTB catch
UTL throw > BTB catch

Something I like to call the "Oh **** wrap"... reverse weave, when right hand goes to the right side, bring it behind you and through your legs, wrap on left arm (left poi spinning on right side of body), turn 90 degrees in to butterfly. It is called the oh **** wrap because if you miss your arm, and you're a male, you're going to be in a lot of pain and a lot of **** as it hits you in the crotch ubblol

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Quote:

A true TTN weave (butterfly weave, whatever it is called)... before I had this strange added beat where the butterfly seperated for a beat, got rid of it making it a real one.

Same here, there was definitely an extra beat on one side when I first "got" this move, think it was because I kept drifting out of split-time. Having got my control down a bit better I've sorted it out.

Umm, what've I learnt? All kinds of tangle-y bits, higher order tangles and so on. And some other stuff which I then promptly forgot, doh!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

both side slam (nanana cole! tongue )

slams, shuffles or or fast shuffles?

learn them all!!! ubbloco

still can't do more than 3 throws of fast shuffle into my right hand frown

stick an extra 4 into your 5344 and make sure the 5 is an over the top and you'll have a pretty 4b tennis (53444) smile

the only new thing i did this weekend was break a light in my living room.

i think i can repeat it but it doesn't look that cool anyway...

new things coming soon though (in a couple of weeks anyway wink biggrin )

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hey.. i got shuffles, on both sides and kind of shuffle weave today. wasn't going to mention it but was just struck by the co-incidence of you two mentioning it and decided to do so anyway! tongue

also decided to go back to 5 ball basics by learning three ball follows and improving my flashes first. still nop getting very far though...

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
BTB waistwrap with extra beat
BTB waistwrap with extra beat airwrapped with out moving your feet (just twist your body around) - instead of that one I've got at the beginning of Black and Blue Part1

ubbrollsmile

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I finally got more that 6 catches of 3 ball millsmess ubbrollsmile I can kinda do it for quite a while all of a sudden and man it's fun.... biggrin

Oh and double yoyos too... smile

EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSheep (1081352779)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Quote:

where is the extra beat blackass...?

is it a separation when they are infront?

or an extra beat to make it a fwd to rev btb 3bt weave in wallplane?

and where is b&b part 2...?

3b flash into contortionist (just to the left at the moment).

3 club contortionist (again, just on the one side for now).

and a new addition to half shower with wallplane flats is turning the other throw into a wallpane single spin.

last night i got 531531 with clubs a good few times, just the one successful attempt at 531531 with bth 1's btb and i also caught a supersmooth 531 during 4 count passing.

dss - that is perfect timing dude!

getting mills solid the week before a juggling convention is a brilliant coincidence biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
watermills biggrin

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

where is the extra beat blackass...?
is it a separation when they are infront?
or an extra beat to make it a fwd to rev btb 3bt weave in wallplane?

The latter of those

Quote:

and where is b&b part 2...?

pending release biggrin

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
had the most awfull day of poi yesterday, everything just kept hitting me in the head. frown

however....

anti-spin airwrapped flowers (very hard, really fast)

bth exit from backwards tangle B

Colemans-yo-yo-mutiplex-thingy. at last. i think. looks good anyway. (it might be diffrent cos im shure he makes a horisontal multiplex and i make a vertical one....)

some subtle jugling tricks.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mrrrp.

also 531531531 with first 3 btb, second 1 btb, and last 5 and 3 both half pirouettes.

under the leg on stilts smile

5 back crosses..... grrrrrrrrrr

smileR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I'm getting clean with my 4 beat weave, 360 degrees around. It's nice to be able to throw an extra beat in wherever I want for a little spice, and I can consistently throw a fifth beat in there, but only on one side (i.e. 4 beats reverse on left, 4 beats as I turn right, then 5 beats forward on right).

Also, I finally got a smooth wrapless transition between butterfly family and weave family moves, which is also giving me a new flowing transition through different planes.

Cleaning up some isolations, and working on some hyperloop/airwrappy type stuff. finally getting to the point of flowing through different moves and different planes seemlessly. Combining these with the wraps I've been working on in my glow twirling is really taking my spinning to the next level, I think.

My next aim is cleaning up some tangly moves, and combining them with wraps.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Does a learning a routine count? cos i got 3.... ok so maybe i wrote them too....

thanks blue for kicking my butt.

T wave

-><- Kallisti

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Lots of crazy ass moves with double 3.5 metre sticks - just you wait till BJC!

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
inside weave-buzzsaw weave-inside weave-reverse buzzsaw weave about twice before getting lost on the reverse bits.
some fun 2 handed fishtaily type stuff.
a six step involving a staff.
and a couple of interesting hip-throws ending with evil aikido holds. (it's kind of object manipulation. and you'd be amazed at how much staff crosses over to limbs)

--ben
(supposedly writing my dissertation)

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Hurray! I finally figured out what everyone was talking about "butterfly weave." Got it this past weekend. I'm so proud! ubbrollsmile

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Well, one thing i was half heartedly thinking about doing, but am not quite suicidal to try, is a combination of fire poi and fire aspiration. If i were to do it, which i wont, not for a loong time yet, anyway, then i'd take the kero in my mouth, and start spinning. i'd prolly get going into a fairly quick 3 beat weave, or a butterfly, and as the wicks pass my head, aspirate the kero. voila, massive fireball, with poi spinning around it.

I really dont think this would be a very good, or safe, idea, but i reckon it would look very cool nonetheless.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
right... Smit decided to call this one 'Pants on Fire'. It's kinda similar to the Rope dart 'neck wrap to head inferno' but funnier. here's how it works....

1. wear your jeans really low round your waist skater stylie. umm

2. make a habit of wiping your parafin soaked hands on the backs of your jeans/ exposed cotton boxer shorts throughout the evening. rolleyes

3. towards the end of the night, with your flaming poi start doing lots of btb moves making sure to brush up against your lower back/ tops of your legs. various waist wraps are quite good for this. wink

4. you should by now start feeling a nice warmth around the buttocks. keep going for a while until things feel toastier and then exclaim 'it feels like my bum's on fire' to which everyone else should reply 'that's because it is!'. they should then struggle to run to your assistence while trying not to fall over themselves from laughing so much... ubblol

WARNING: this trick results in the rapid disintergration of underwear. it may also be quite dangerous and should never be attempted intentionally.. eek

stregAi*member
44 posts

Posted:
Got my first hyperloop a few days ago biggrin

Ok, they still feel strange and a bit out of control.. I'll go on working on them weavesmiley

Thanks lovely scoiattolo,

ubblove
kiss S

"We're all mad here!"

The adventures first! Explanations take such a dreadful time...

Page: ......