Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
quick question, has anyone ever noticed that if you are doing the regular butterfly and then switch which hands the poi are in, you are thendoing the reverse butterfly? that was kind of screwing with me the other day.

anyone got a light?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Finally got the rvs 5-beat weave. This had been eluding me for a long time. A friend, Jeff, who recently figured out made the crucial observation "the chains follow your hands." I discovered that if I twisted my wrists a certain way, it works, really smoothly.Still not at the point where I can do it without thinking about it, but phew! that had been bugging me.Santo--you asked if others are doing the btb fountain? I am, though it's very difficult for me. I've seen others who have the flexibility to do it tucked up high and tight...it looks really different that way, so much so that I thought it was a different move.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
He He, productive weekend on the Poi front (unfortunately at the demise of all the work I should have done).Nailed the reverse 3-beat, have the mexican wave (although not for too long), can 5-beat consistently on the RHS (not always on the left though)and started getting some good transitions between butterfly and weave (wrapping using glowsticks) grin------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

poiwondermember
21 posts

Posted:
finally mastered the btb 3 beat weaves, foreward and backward, working on the turn, but keep hitting my dern leg. also cracked the 5 beat backwards weave. Got the backwards waves and butterfly alternates down pat, plenty fun. Managed to get my poi handles in my mouth for the bf, was having trouble cuz i wasn't used to it. I'm upset because i'm starting to run out of new moves to learn that don't involve wrapping, though i think its prolly time to start working on wraps soon, its the logical next step, but i need new poi cuz mine R 2 long. Also found a nifty little way of making the butterfly get smaller and larger, thats cool.

Hey chicky chick, check slick Nik flick sick tricks with glow sticks and lit wicks real quick!...;) (IM:cmsnr grdn)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Learnt a sort of:-"Overhead butterfly brought quickly down and jump over the poi then quickly bring them back up again to overhead butterfly move"Looks wicked with fire poi as you jump over the flames - hurrah.Very tiring if you do it every other spin smile------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Five-beat circular weave. It is *so* nice.Working on a combo where I alternate a rvs TTN in front, behind the head, in front again, and btb (it's easier with a rvs than fwd).

Storytellermember
19 posts

Posted:
I've been f#%$in' around with the quad corkscrew, and came up with somethin' cool. If you rotate and space the pattern 2/2/2/2 ( bottom left, bottom right, top left, top right), you get an xtremely fast propeller action. wht I need to know is if there's a name 4 it?------------------ Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
one handed butterfly, yeah, right hand only though...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RaVeRxSurGemember
18 posts

Posted:
Hey I just got down the quad. corkscrew/windmill and 360 BTB weave clockwise... i'm trying to learn 360 BTB weave counter-clockwise... it'll look kool when i learn it so i can do circles both directions behind the back... i'm still tryin to learn 5 beat weave BTB... any suggestions on how to do it... on how to start learning how to do it?-------------------RaVeR SurGe

-RaVeR SurGe

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Well the btb 5-beat is pretty useless unless your're spinning with other spinners who know what they're doing. Purely technical, purely to say you can do it. This is the way i do it, to get a reverse btb 5-beat start off from a regular reverse btb weave. The hand movement is pretty much the same as it in front of you, its just your body motion that has to change. Let's say when you do your extra rotation on the left side, make sure your facing the direction opposite, when it goes on the other side turn quickly and guide it. For a forward btb 5-beat you don't face the other way as much its more of an angle than straight on opposite, and you have to move your ass a bit more. Hope that helps.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

space cadetmember
19 posts

Posted:
So, nary a few days after I was bemoaning feeling stuck, I recently got a 4-beat weave and almost* a 3-beat corkscrew.The btb weave remains wily and elusive.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
OK, just got the btb 5-beat weave (shin-bashing) with fire last night (because, as we all know, it doesn't count until you do it with fire {g}).

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
No apparently it doesn't count until you can do it with huge jagged rocks at the end of your poi smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Woo Hoo!One-handed (right hand) forward, reverse, and split time butterfly smileNow working on polishing and transitions. Maybe should try btb too...------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

JyriTmember
10 posts

Posted:
GOt quad corkscrew yesterday at last!! after 1 hour of beating my legs, back, face, etc!I did'n knew how much i can take hits.. Now i know.. winkThere are more moves to figure out, also many bruices left.. (hopefullu they dont last so long than new moves..)-- btw. sorry about my gramman if there are any --

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
been doing this a weak, got the forward weave down, cross body figure eight, corkscrew, the butterfly, split spinning, forward , backwards and such, the low wave... and my crowning achievmentdoing cross body figure eight while wrapping, doing a split, touching my forehead to my knee, then coming back up unwrapping into reverse spinningALL IN PLEATHER PANTS - beat that with your pvc - hmph------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm now beginning my fifth month spinning and I've learned every move on this site forward and backward (with the exception of 5 beat BTB) as well as some interesting trnsitions and wraps that I've learned from individual posts, and I owe it to all of you who have helped me so much. I just cracked the BTB weave and turn as well as the 360 BTB weave. Thanks again to you all, especially you CRD.PLUHRDOC

Let us Light up the Night

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
YYEEAASS!! Got the forward btb weave down!! now for the turning bit!Quick question if you guys can help (PLSE! - and before I get jumped on I searched but got no-where)reverse 5bt weave - on the right hand side I'm trying to bring the left hand back under the right, but ever time (without fail) it hits me ion the head (Argh!) Any tips??M:-)~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
When I'm doing the rvs 5-beat and on the right side, my left wrist winds up on top, with the left hand curled down around the right wrist.I've found that the rvs 5-beat demands a slightly slower tempo, otherwise I'm likely to stuff up. Also, it's helpful to pretend that your wrists are locked together through the rotations.It sounds like you've got a timing issue, so play around with that. Hope this helps.

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
Cheers Adam, still working on it!!! grinM:-)~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
wahoooooo i finaly cracked the 5 beat wave smilethanx alot for your help durbs couldn't of dine it without u

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Had a beautiful practice today!!!!!Cracked the reverse weave with my staff (I guess, according to Mr. Mad C. Juggler, it's a 5-beat). That opened up every turning move that I know.Also came up with a helecopter shoulder wrap, pulled off a full 360 degree neck wrap, and figured out how to keep my rotor shoulder wrap going almost indefinatly. smile shocked coolNow if I can only figure out how to do a "weed whacker" with a six foot staff.... ------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
I finally hit BTB weave tonight. I had never done it before, it just seemed like something my hands couldn't do, impossible, but i've been practicing trying to do it, and then all the sudden I did the weave 3 times, and then i wacked myself in the back of my leg...I'm not getting bruises, but it hurts, i've also been nailing my chest...from my left hand going out of controll...I'm very excited, because I just got turning 90 degrees or so and going from forwards weave to backwards weave, and although sometimes i turn too fast and end up hitting myself, I am getting good at spinning and going from F weave to B weave... and that means I can go from F weave to B weave to BTB weave? how COOL is that!?!?! If malcom could put up more animations that would be great!^_^ And the explanations for BTB stuff usually boil down to, "do what you normally do infront of you behind your back instead"... and that just isn't very helpfull:'( But it is very rewarding to crack that BTB going on just your gut and natural instincts *guttural yelp*. I tried expressing my angst pre BTB weave to my family, and they just say "i'm sure you'll get it eventually" *grumble* and now they are simply saying "oh...that's nice....it all just looks the same to me...spinning circles..." *sigh* Thanks for listening smile everyone have a GREAT CHRISTMAS, or a great non-christmas, just have a great holiday!! (Guess who's getting some poi [not fire:'( not yet wink] under their christmas tree grin) Good night! Peace and PLUR -tallica

Shinomorimember
24 posts

Posted:
yay

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I got the BTB Weave in 15 minutes ! ! !(Well, I didn't time myself, maybe it was half an hour but it felt like 15 minutes cuz I was having fun!)Next to work on is the 180 turn with the BTB Weave!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Just got the turning btb weaves (I can do 3 out of 4 of the turns), btb weave 360's and fountains. I still don't look as good as Jo Derry doing btb weaves...I have to dodge the poi way to much*time passes*Ok I got a thread-the-needle-weave-fountain figured out. looks cool but is imposible to explain. And I now have the btb weave 180 turns in all directions (4 of 4), but I can only 360 turn to the left. [This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 08 January 2002).]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Ok 3rd time I have tried this stupid gov computer. Ok ok start by just doing a front cross with both hands together as you come back down on your right side swind the poi/glowstick between your legs rotate 108 degrees to your left swinging your left leg up and the poi/glowstick out from between you legs. It is still sloppy when I do it but it is getting better. Weather or not this is a new move has yet to be determined but it is new to me but like thats hard. There we go done 3rd time is the charm.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
well, as it seems most of the ppl i spin poi with do butterfly and associated butterfly moves spinning in a frowards rotation...as "me" dont ask why am the only one that can do these moves in reverse such as thread the needle! which as thistle said to me that could be good for passing poi to each other during us both doing TTN grin good i said...but also got me thinking why have i taught myself these moves in reverse when no one else i know can do it that way...well i was just messing around for a half hour in the attic with my poi and taught my self a forwards TTN grin grin chuffed as now!! one more thing..: now that i can fluently do a forwards and a reverse TTN, now means that a behind the back TTN is possible! grin can any one do this move? i ponder, i gave it a try and had a good think about hand possitioning and sod it by the end of the week i'm gonna be doing it i hope. wish me luck grinpkdo you have a vain-ego with poi?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
TTN fountain... ok I'm going to try to explain this. A TTN always has one hand crossing over the other, the trick is always have an arm crossed over, even when turning. in other words, there are two ways of turning from a forward TTN to a backwards TTN, one way the hands come apart for a moment and there is a "gap" in the TTN. The oter wy involves crossing over behind your back with one poi and then turning. in other words if you are doing a forward TTN and you want to turn left, bring the right hand poi around your left side while the left poi is still spinning in front, then turn and have both poi doing reverse TTN. So... always have a pio "crossed over" otherwise you will be doing a butterfly in the middle of you TTN fountain.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I got a new one. Do a double beat alternate low mexican wave (regular), and then turn left into a jump double crescent kick towards the rear of where you started. left leg first, then right. HAH HAH HAH! grin

Page: ...