Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
6:30

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
anti-spin Zan's diamond.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I thought it was always done in butterfly?

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i can spiral wrap orbital now!!!

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
Huh? What's a spiral wrap orbital? This sounds interesting o0

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well its actually a shotgun hyper wrap with a turn at the end as to end up in a orbital i plan on making a vid tonight for all to see

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
What is a hyper-wrap? Stop pulling these terms out of nowhere tongue2

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
ok goto learn and in the wraps section of poi look up hyper wrap its almost like an airwrap that is a shotgun spiral wrap because you push your hand through it and then upon exiting the move you turn to the side and come out in a orbital

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok now this sounds like something I MUST LEARN NOW!

Ok that was not as exiting as I thought it would be laugh3 But still another cool trick.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1283995958)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I just learned this totally delicious split time butterfly reel turn. So simple, so elegant, and I'm going to be doing it the whole spin jam today.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
For some weird reason I have stopped being unsuccessful in my attempts at orbitals: a large percentage are actually wrapping and unwinding perfectly, or at least better. So if I have failed at failing orbitals, have I succeeded or is this in fact a larger failure?

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
A lot of really good spinners fail to get out of orbitals, so that probably means you're getting worse. Sorry to bear the bad news! tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

2,280 posts

Posted:
I fail at getting out of orbitals! Woohoo! Does this mean I'm good now? tongue2

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have not even bothered learning them, so technically cannot get out of them either. tongue2

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i am just now learning how to get out o orbitals its a very tricky thing but the easiest way i have found so far is turn to where its on the wall plane and treat it like a air wrap

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Took me forever to get anywhere with releasing orbitals. After seeing Nick Woosley do it a long time ago I had to learn. Nowadays I get it probably 75% of the time. Takes some focus and time thats for sure. Still screw it up though, its just something you can't get every time.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah it's kind of a luck thing considering that if it's dark and it's chain and you can't see it well or if it's just dark out and you can't see your cord. You have a 50% chance of getting out flawlessly or making a tangled mess. I tend to get the tangle mess pretty much half the time.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I go with how it feels, and hope I'm right. Works nicely when I need it to

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I can do it in pitch dark, I tend to be able to feel where it is much better than I can see it.

hug

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I have been learning so many new moves lately, but I'll start from the beginning.

I got into poi because I wanted to do fire poi. I am very comfortable with fire and have a lot of fun with it. Because of my comfort level, it is very easy to transfer new moves to fire very quickly. I've been spinning fire for 4 or 5 years now, but I never did much complicated stuff.

In fact for a very long time, I could do a forwards 5b weave, but still couldn't even do a backwards 3b.

I think my move list for a long time was:

forward 3b weave (I am very comfortable with this move and I bring it all over the place.... around my sides, low, over my head while bending backwards, kneeling down, laying down, etc)
forward 5b weave
butterflies (both directions)
forward thread the needle
corkscrew
Then a series of body wraps that I quite enjoy doing. (this was almost entirely my focus while spinning for a long time. Let me try to list them all: around my thighs (both directions), corkscrews to torso wraps, leg wraps, around my arm wraps, shoulder wraps, arm wraps, corkscrew to individual leg wraps, and all kinds of transitions to and from these wraps while doing the above list.... this is the kinda of fire spinning that I absolutely love).

I'm pretty sure that that set of moves was the entirety of what I could do with my fire poi.

Then I restarted the juggling club at my university and met two great poi spinners/teachers.

Through there help I have recently learned:

Backwards 3b weave
Backwards thread the needle
Doing a 3b weave (both directions) while occasionally throwing the right poi in the air (I have done this on fire and I don't use a counter weight)
Rope Dart style under the leg moves.
My friend calls the move "the atom"
Butterflies over my head
Thread the needle over my head

Things that I "sorta" have down, but don't have perfectly to infinite muscle memory yet, but I would still say I "have them"

A lot of stuff with stalls as direction changes.
Reels (all kinds, but I can't seem to remember how to do all of them, so it needs a lot more work)
Windmill (I can do it occasionally, but I can't quite seem to work it into the fountain yet).
Fountain (if I can just sort out my windmill problem, I should have this down)
Wheel Plane Flowers (3 and 4 petal ones) - These need a lot of work, but I have the basic idea down now.
Pendulums (need tons of work, but I have the idea down)
Neck Wraps (very similar to rope dart neck wraps, but they are much more difficult with the shorter poi)
I guess I should include buzz saw here as I have learned how to do it, but I am not comfortable with it yet.
Corkscrew with one poi going under both legs as I spin in the direction the poi is spinning.

Now this brings me to now and my reason for looking for this thread to post in.

I thought I was very far away from btb weaves, but my friend/teacher told me a great exercise for getting comfortable with accessing my wheel planes while my hands are behind me. I started playing around with those 3 days ago and have worked on it a bit each day since.

Tonight I went outside for an hour and planned to just get btb weaves down. I think it took me about 45 minutes, but I can say that I have reverse btb 3b weave down almost perfectly now. With another 40 minute session I think I can get the other direction down.

Once I finished that I worked on my windmill, fountain, crossers, under the legs, btb crossers, and some butterfly stuff.

I now also have solid:
Btb Butterflies (well technically they are behind my head), some thread the needle transfers with occasional movements behind my head, forward front crossers.

All and all tonight was very successful. Sorry for the long post, but I have made SO much progress in the last couple months.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Have fun with learning! You are in the funnest part of poi, the time where you are learning a barrage of new movements and concepts smile I'm starting to get same time butterfly extension pirouettes down. But after like the 3rd turn they fall apart. Actually it was the one and only Pali Endi that helped me with that one in person grin as it is the only flower/extension pirouette combination that I can't do and it angers me.

zephyrrstranger
1 post

Posted:
i just started today. after much practice, and many hits to many places i don't wanna talk about... i finally got it!
i love you, poi smile

Aaron_DuffPLATINUM Member
stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Congrats Zephyrr!
Getting past the initial awkwardness is a big step it seems. After that there's a long and rewarding road ahead with new cool-ness at every corner!

I'm new here (Been doing poi for 4 months) so I guess I'll try to skim over what I know so far and sum up what I'm learning.

I've got a great handle on all the basics (or at least what I know as the basics)

Can do all these both ways, in time, split time, and with turns -
Butterfly
Crossover
3 beat Weave
5 beat weave
2 beat Corkscrew
Wheel
Windmill

Learning and/or perfecting
BTB backwards 3 beat weave (Pretty well got this mastered)
BTB forwards 3 beat weave (Pretty well suck at this)
Every butterfly/TTN/turn/crossover I can try. LOVING butterfly moves.
REALLY working on (Not sure of the proper name) Butterfly with one hand across the back and crossing over to the other side in split time. Cutting down the number of rotations it takes me to get comfortable enough to do this fluently.
4 beat corkscrew (I just recorded a video of myself and man... I make this look soooooo awkward)

I think it's safe to sum it up with... as I saw someone post earlier... I'm at that super fun and interesting part where I can start turning anything into anything else and it's a whole fluid world of.... make S*&T up as you go and enjoy the heck out of it. Now all I need to do is move to a part of the world where there's more than just me and my g/f that spin poi within a 400 km radius so that we can learn with and from others!

mew!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Aaron_DuffNow all I need to do is move to a part of the world where there's more than just me and my g/f that spin poi within a 400 km radius so that we can learn with and from others!

Yeah. Exactly that....

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Color me embarrassed, so I can add meltdowns to my list. Ive apparently been doing them for about a month not realizing it. I had gotten my names confused. The move I've been wracking my brain on is the btb crossers, which I've still had no luck on.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
Btb crossers are a bitch to learn.

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I did my btb weave on fire last night, so I think it is safe to say that I am comfortable with it now!

I also learned this fun move where you just do butterflies, and then separate them a bit so you make two circles that dont intersect, than do a butterfly with full arm extensions, then go back to the two circles, then the full arm extension.... repeat.

Pretty fun!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
You can also alternate that, with one giant and one static spin, switching from one to the other.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
And then into basic polyrhythms!

hug

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts