• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...1213141516...117
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

flid
BRONZE Member since Aug 2002

flid

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3136
Posted:my first corkscrew hyperloop

Delete

Lux
BRONZE Member since Aug 2003

Total posts: 71
Posted:i had a truely great day yesterday, after my friend went home i stayed in the park to poi alone, ive had a few days of feeling a little frustrated with knowing the little i know and not knowing where to go, so i decided to nail the butterfly (did i mention im a newbie ) and attempt a reverse weave and got em both! *jumps* the reverse weave is VERY shaky and i cant quite stop looking like im dodging lava balls or summat but it made me happy and renewed my enthusiasm - and placated the perfectionist inside...

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
SILVER Member since Sep 2001

TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow

Total posts: 2629
Posted:Last week I got the quarter-time weave, which is one hell of a bizarre move.

For no reason whatsoever, Simian and I have named it the 'Mother..... It's Cold'

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:this week i have mostly been learning how to stall my poi

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

frostypaw

Great balls of fire

Total posts: 643
Posted:it's a LOT harder to clean your planes on the reverse weave... but you'll get there

corkscrew here... tho i'm having to oddly hitch my left poi into the under-arm plane with my thumb at the moment... works a treat but it's just not *right*

weave/mexican wave turning's great fun though just got that too and glad to hear someone else likes it but it'll be a while before i dare do that with anything burning... too much whizzing behind my head!

I can SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Delete

yannicus
GOLD Member since Jul 2003

yannicus

Total posts: 169
Posted:btb weave (my calves are so raw)

split time ttn, although it doesnt appeal so much, looks fnny

and, well thats all, i could lie, but lets not push it

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:quote:Originally posted by Stone:
spiral fountainomg!!

i have no idea how it would work as i stopped learning to spin clubs when juggling started to take over.
that sounds like it would look gorgeous though
note to self: go back to learning to swing snakes and spirals.

i've learnt nothing new really so i feel a bit cheeky posting here but i had to say something - i didn't even know a spiral fountain existed!

441 with clubs generally gets to the third go now before it gets really messy. 531 refuses to work from my left hand side.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

space cadet

Total posts: 19
Posted:Finally mostly cracked the BTB reverse weave. Awww, yeah.

Delete

FlamingMonkey

Total posts: 50
Posted:i just got the five beat weave and the four best corkscrew, so i'm happy

Monkey see, Monkey do...

Delete

Jello

ambiguous

Total posts: 646
Posted:quote:Originally posted by FlamingMonkey:
i just got the five beat weave and the four best corkscrew, so i'm happy dude, I was just going to say that

Delete

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tire

Total posts: 51
Posted:I learned everything on the first part of the 'Art Of Poi' vid ! yay! with much pain i might add.

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

Delete

DarkDevil

DarkDevil

Total posts: 233
Posted:I just learned something... its like a 5 beat weave only with a short buzzsaw in the middle, to lazy to look for the proper name, but i love it.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

Delete

Eera
BRONZE Member since May 2003

old hand

Total posts: 1107
Posted:Pretty boring I know, but just managed to get the 3 beat BTB weave after several months of doing a 1 beat instead. Oh, and the 7 beat weave too. 2 moves in a day, both of which hurt...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Delete

Beth

Beth

Miss Whippy

Total posts: 1262
Posted:Hurrah just managed two moves in a day! Air wraps and the butterfly weave, me so happy

Now for the BTB 3bt weave! this is gonna hurt!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Delete

overdose

Total posts: 13
Posted:ehh...i dont really know any tricks (i can do the 3way and a weird weave-like thing) but i saw my friend brandon bust out with a neat-o trick.
he was doing a one handed butterfly, and transfered it to hhis mouth. he did kind of a head-bangin' butterfly. it was swell.

Delete

[Nx?]
BRONZE Member since Nov 2001

[Nx?]

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3749
Posted:sounds like someone has been watching tepooka vids.... hehehe

*tips hat to steve*

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Delete

tennis
BRONZE Member since Jun 2002

confused and abused

Total posts: 363
Posted:Never posted on this thread before but dead proud today, just got two or three complete 7 beat btb forwards weave motions. Oh joy oh joy!!!!!!!!!

T e n n i s

Beth Please please show/teach me the butterfly weave when we hook up I have never even seen it before but it sounds funky. please....pretty please......pretty pretty please...

My cat's breath smells like catfood

Delete

Beth

Beth

Miss Whippy

Total posts: 1262
Posted:Ill do my best tennis but im still a little rusty have been practicing it loads these past few days so should (if i keep on practicing) have it down by the party!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Delete

Angel_Xpress

Total posts: 55
Posted:Mission Impossible became possible over the weekend

the Butterfly Weave

it's a bit messy but im working on it.

I am an Angel

Delete

Rev
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Rev

Bastard Newbie Messiah

Total posts: 1269
Posted:after weeks of not poi'ing I picked up my stuff last night and got the BTB 5 bt butterfly weave, BTB 7bt weave.. and this funky hyperloop/buzzsaw/hyperloop/halfwrap tangled mess thing...

woot...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Delete

tiamat_22580

tiamat_22580

I will kill all mods

Total posts: 210
Posted:i just learned the btb hyperloop yeah!

i was surprised its easier than a btb forward weave

Delete

yannicus
GOLD Member since Jul 2003

yannicus

Total posts: 169
Posted:new moves: butterfly weave, i think because the descriptions are wierd, i manage a split-time btf in the wheel plane and bounce it on each side.

reverse weave hyperloop, which is much easier to do than the regular weave hyperloop.

and these two moves i saw in a poiinthepark video, one is like from a windmill you separate your hands and make four circles in the wallplane in front of you, its like four circles moving in a cross. i can't be bothered to explain the other one

second, i firespun at a rave for the first time, hard-tek french rave, nothing candy-ish about it. twas fun. but considering the quantity and variety of tings i ingested at the party, i thought i would be useless and hurt myself, but i got even more excited and pulled off some amazing stuff. (and completely destroyed my friend's brand new jumper by doing arm wraps.)

sorry mathieu

raves r wikked

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

Delete

Wizz

-er-pops

Total posts: 206
Posted:Yesterday I manged to do the behind the btb butterfly and the reverse weave for the first time ever.

Big beaming smiles

It has taken me a wee while and a lot of pain, esp the reserse weave when I hit myself in the nose twice in a row causing what I call a Rudolf effect.

Poi... it's an obsession.

Delete

SlightlySinged
GOLD Member since Jun 2003

Total posts: 82
Posted:I've been playing with 5-beat weave, doing a behind the back beat half way through. So when doing the 5-beats on my right side, i spin the poi on my right behind my back to the left side, then bring it back to the right and continue with the last beat or two before moving the weave to the left side. Then repeating it on the left side. Not too sure how it looks.. but it feels cool.

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

Delete

Nove
SILVER Member since Aug 2003

Nove

Unremarkable

Total posts: 277
Posted:In a burst of inspiration last night, I got a (tenuous) hold on the 4-beat weave -and- the btb butterfly!

*dances around doing the 4-beat weave before smacking herself in the shin*

But they both still need some work... No matter- I'm still so very happy!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Total posts: 1376
Posted:4-beat butterfly weave so far, still working on the other side... damn planes have to be spot on! Same with the BTB butterfly weave...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

Ape

Total posts: 4
Posted:Finally. Now I can do both 5-beat weaves...

My pois felt in love with wraps I have to do new fresh combos again and again. My hands and legs are really deformed...

Poi is like a sex.You can't stop and sometimes it hurts... ;)

Delete

Ape

Total posts: 4
Posted:Oooooh.
My
first
well-done
HYPERLOOP.

Poi is like a sex.You can't stop and sometimes it hurts... ;)

Delete

Bird
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Bird

now available in "advanced"

Total posts: 6086
Posted:YAY!!

I have succesfully mastered(????) a 4 beat weave by attempting a 5 beat and getting it wrong!!

Thanks to Oli and Tennis for demonstrating this at Polzeath at the weekend otherwise I would still be totally clueless!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Delete

KristieEB

Total posts: 108
Posted:

i got the reverse weave ... and for about 2 seconds it was UNugly.

Delete

Page: 1...1213141516...117