Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
where's the *jumping up and down with exitement* emoticon huh?

just learnt 1-up pirouette out of and back into buzzsaw...

ooooh the joys of learning to juggle before learning poi....

R smile

(and i'm with rev on the definitions wink)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yay! whilst in SB, i finally got that damn butterfly weave.... the same time one. and all because i tried working with flags (which didn't go so well)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I just learnt how to do a vertical butterfly and bounce it of my stomach/back . And change directions doing it .

And that butterfly weave is really hard we done !.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
haha it feels so good when u finally get the move and it like falls into place lol, i jsut reently learned how to buts a 3 beat behing the back reverse weave and then while trying to learn how to reverse it u jsut do a 180 and wrap your rght poi on behinud your forwarm and the left on your lag then unravel them into a reverse 3 bt weave:))

it must be green

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Quote:

haha it feels so good when u finally get the move and it like falls into place

That is a great feeling smile I picked up my negleted poi today and for some reason the 5 beat btb forward weave fell into place, through no conscience effort on my part. Thats how poi seems to work for me, I can try and try with no success and than the poi will decide to "give" me the move. I consider the 5beat btb forward weave an aniversery present of sorts, it'll be 2 years this january since my poi and I have been together biggrin

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I just learnt all direct turns with cross-over smile Its really funny do turns with hand crossed and with opossite direction,split time etc. biggrin

POI THEO(R)IST

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
haha i ahve been with mine for about a year now smile and ill neve rlet go lol i already shred everyone i've ever seen at parties xept for 1 guy lol cant wait to c myslef in a few years of practice

it must be green

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
just got btb buzzsaw with a couple of stalls too, now to try and not make it look so camp....... eek

My cat's breath smells like catfood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
6 ball sync flash peace

okay, so i've only ever done it once but it'll get more and more regular as ejc approaches... biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SlightlySingedGOLD Member
82 posts

Posted:
Does dancing count in this thread? I've learnt to dance with poi. I've been getting more and more relaxed over hte last month, learning to un-learn all the rigid moves I know and to just flow with it. And I finally got it last night, listenning to a paul van dyke cd (politics, i think). Really moving to the music, mixing it up with wraps and weird timings, changing styles depending on the feel of the trance. I was even doing some sort of 6-plane move with two isolations in each plane as I circled.

Yep, I'm obssessed.

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

PaliGOLD Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
Of course dancing counts! It's the best part of poi, if you ask me.

I've been learning to turn and spin more - putting those butterfly weaves and under-the-arm windmills to work.

As far as technical things go, I've learned the easier under-the-leg patterns and am trying to figure out where to go from there.

peace ubblove biggrin

Genuineness only thrives in the dark -- like celery.

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
winkGot my under the leg hyperloop down, and after some inspiration from a crazy poi guy i met on new years eve i've gone butterfly stalls crazy. just starting to isolate my btb weave and i'm happy. tongue

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
under the leg hyperloop, isolated btb weave .... biggrin

*is impressed*

as for me ive been playng around with the butterfly and stuff. learnt a cool sequence of moves yesterday. from thread the needle, with right arm go to behin the head then keeping poi and arm in straightline go to behind the back while moving left poi to behind head, then bring right poi in front and do the straight arm thing with the left, repeat - this looks pretty, and is easy smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
confused wow. im so crap. only just started learning. i no its sounds really easy but i learnt these 2 moves in the oast coupla days. I can do one handed butterfly for about 6 beats before cbecomming a tangled mess of pink nylon and blonde hair, but i can still do it, lol and the other is where i start off in a corkscrew the make both the same time above my head, kneel down and arch my back so that the poi go into sort of an atom shape, then the trick is coumming back up again lol. biggrin

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
I'm still learning alot of moves and all but in the last couple days i've learned thread the needle, high turn, tuck turn and the backwards weave, the windmill, the mexican horizontal wave and the alternate butterfly combination! i still have alot to learn tho and i think the behind the back stuff will take alot of practice!

weavesmiley Christina*
EDITED_BY: firekitty (1073845905)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
errm, i showed the london crowd my new backwards flowers, and they loved them! and last night i managed to rotate a 4 ball stack!

T :boing:

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
he's right - those flowers were damn pretty smile

i finally learnt rubenstein's.
it's not as hard as i thought... rolleyes

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
mr oli
Under the leg hyperloops aren't really that hard. Do you remember the wierd misinterpreted hyperloops i was doing in the wall plane when i met you. They really weren't that fantastic. rolleyes. But If you hyperloop in the wall plane as i was trying then all it is, is getting your right hand through and under your right leg (if your spinning clockwise, the opposite if you spin anti clockwise). make the poi to meet on the front side of your body, then they spin on their axis under your leg (giving you a little more room, and avoiding tecticular impact) Now your left hand must be through your legs and pointing kind of upwards in some kind of inverted camp hand. The poi should untangle. It's getting my hands and poi back out that if find the hardest and i can't really explain very well but give it a go.
I can do another one with the reverse weave under my leg and then just hyperloop it as a normal, " but still only in one direction.. mad..."

I got a waistwrap airwrap yesterday few more misspent hours and turn them into hyperloops aswell......

Give them a go oli your hyperloops looked beautiful and controlled when i saw you, and were then definatly better than mine you should get them no problem.

peaceTennis peace

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
tennis - ive tried them a few times my leg allways gets in the way though... grrr

more practise needed, but thanks for giving me inspiration... biggrin

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I feel liek such a goober... I can now add behind the head weaving to my repetoire... I don't know why I never thought to go there before.. I mean I guess I didn't really think of it in those terms at least...

ubbidea

weavesmiley

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I learned one of the most important parts of becoming a good twirler and thats to Flow! I don't think in terms of move anymore i look at the big picture and what would be visually pleasing and most importantly what feels the best for my style. Joining the site has made me into on of you darn Poi addicts. Someday they'll have to open up P.A. meetings (Poi Anonymous) especially for members of this site ubblol peace

Peace, Love, Circles

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i am sooooo thankful to my weekend in kent.....i learned a grip of new moves biggrin i learned the fountain, the 4beat weave (almost, still tangle a bit but i have a huge bruise on my arm from jelly wrestling so it's impeding my learning at the moment), turning with the windmill, and a few other turns and plane manipulations biggrin

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Quote:

the 4beat weave

Yeah to pounce! biggrin good going girl!
To everyone else- you so needed to be there to watch pounce learn this! I was in pain from laughing trying to teach it. ubblol

I managed to learn reverse 5 beat weave at kent. I'd never really tried it before, as I'm not incredibly good at reverse 4 beat, but it just clicked and happened. Unfortunately it later 'unclicked' and I smacked myself around the face a lot! ubblol Hopefully I can do it again now though... biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

nunchukamember
2 posts

Posted:
whats the last thing a fire dancer says before going up in flames? watch this!!!

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Just got straight-arm hyperloops going, now need to try the same thing underneath my legs instead smile And get those damn extended hyperloop turns working properly as well...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Reverse TTN biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
*apologises in advance for adding to the many non-poi moves in this thread*

cole i dedicate this one to you amigo:

yesterday i did 17 flats in a row.

biggrin

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
from flashy's original post:
Quote:

This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.
Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things

you are definitely a funkster and clubs count as 'misc toys' i reckon smile
bon travaille mon frere bleu. hug

my flats are still all wonky and point a bit upwards but drew made me try try flat-half-full-half-flat anyway.
30 throw sequence apparently.
confusement formidable confused kiss

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Wow, errrm...I've just been out for a spin, whilst in a really strange mood.

I had loud tunes in my headphones, lots of thoughts in my head, and suddenly I realised I was doing a new move.

Sorry, but I've absolutely no idea what it's called. rolleyes

It looked quite nice though. smile

(its kinda split time butterfly, where you bring both hands round to the right hand side and behind your body (right hand behind waist, and left hand behind head), back to the front, and round to the left. Each place (in front, behind right, and behind left) has 3 beats.

Make any sense? confused)

EDITED_BY: Mand (1074560083)

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
completly non-poi moves... Built an indoor rope dart out of a 1.5'' monkeyfist on the end of about 12' of 1/4" rope. Great fun! Through wraps on my arms and legs, you can get some really complicated knots going with that much string... and of course the best bit about rope darts, making it flick straight out at unexpected times. you can do it off feet, hands, elbows... if you let it come forward over your shoulder, you can catch it on another part of the string (held taut) and through wrap it of that, in a kind of bad-planed-hyperloopy-kind-of way.

--Ben
(should be revising and so have been spinning and watching martial arts movies.)

Page: ......