Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i got new toys yesterday tongue ubbrollsmile juggle

with them i managed to juggle 555145551 - out of a fountain, starting with the left hand, back into a fountain smile

frown

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:

mwahahahahahaha

then died frown

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
WOHO i got new poi with big tails

be now finally got btb weave
also i can do backwards butterfly over spine down back into forward buzzsaw. lots of bending involved, im trying to do things between/under legs at the mo make my turns and stuff look really good.

ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile juggle sunny clap clap peace angelblue

Hold my breath when you are near
so i don't have to breath you in
look away before i start to endorse
your eyes full of hate and remorse
in to the eye of another
be the silence that screams

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
can anyone do a behind the back forward 5 beat weave?

it must be green

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yea im just starting to get 7bt btb forward and turning weave, damn hard though, usually needs wraps or waist wrap wraps,

Oi got my btb WW 6 bt wraps down though biggrin YEYA! And also btb WW full recoil wraps both poi.

/me dancing round like a :crazy monkey:

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
daaaamn thats impressive. ubbrollsmile

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
The 7bt? Na...its pretty much cheating depending on who you ask, cause all im really doing is a 6bt with wraps, and most people dont count wrap beats :P even then i get lazy on the 5 and sometimes wrap it there ubblol

Though i do know 7 is possible, just dang tricky...and honestly there are easier moves that look alot cooler cool Its not what you do...

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I can now do a (very untidy and poorly timed) 4bt reverse weave!! ubbrollsmile

next step - reverse 5bt ( since thats what i was trying to do in the first place)

redface

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Alrighty, since i posted inthis threa last, I've learned a few things....

1) I can do 3 bt behind the back weave, forward and reverse ad nauseum. I can also flow smoothly into and out of them from any weave type move I already know.

2) BTB bicep/shoulder wraps. You know, the same as you might do in front of you when weaving in wall plane and the poi wrap on your biceps, simply reversing the direction of your weave? Now I got it BTB. Woohoo! This one is really nice to hit behind the back, then come and hit in front. I'm working on extending my arms to full length between the BTB wraps, and regular wrap, so it makes a HUGE circle between the 2. Also working on getting more improvisational with those kind of wraps, both infront and BTB.

3) between the legs weave. Not sure on the actual name here, but it's just letting a forward weave do 2 beats between the legs on it's way to a reverse weave going counter clockwise around the body (aerial view).

weavesmiley

yay!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, I just nailed something fundamentally simple, seeing as how I've been spinning for 3 years:

Whenever I do the windmill, the poi sweep from my right to my left as they pass in front of me. I just today learned how to reverse it. It will take a few more hours of practice until I'm comfortable transitioning in and out of it, and coverting it from windmil to chasing the sun and alternate CTS.

Yes, I'm really that right-handed that it took me 3 years to figure out how to reverse my windmill. rolleyes

Which means that I just doubled the number of moves I can do, since I now no longer have a "front" and "back" to my routine. ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
how to snakeboard ubblove

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
josh said a while ago:

Quote:

and speaking of Mills variations, in site swap, wots the one that breaks the Mills on each side when the hands are open with one pass of a full shower?

so i randomly asked jonny moohaahaa this and he says 'its like 441 innit' and i say 'but there's 3's in there?' and he says 'yeah there is' - which made me think a bit more clearly...

so 44133 might be it i reckon.

but to make sure i asked the internet juggling geeks and they tell me that this is right but if you force the the sync version into having equal height throws it looks even more beautifuller smile

that version is: (2,4x)(4x,2)(4,2x)(4x,2)(2,4x)(2x,4)

this weekend i did very little new: got 4 throws of 3b shower round my waist and a perfect 3up pirouette indoors.

cat, watch those knees man - i hate snakeboards mad
and remember to keep that head warm wink

juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
1/4 time weave, getting there with isolated 1/4 time buzzsaws, reverse butterfly airwraps and double arm/bicep wraps in butterfly hyperloops.

Quote:

Well, I just nailed something fundamentally simple, seeing as how I've been spinning for 3 years:

Whenever I do the windmill, the poi sweep from my right to my left as they pass in front of me. I just today learned how to reverse it. It will take a few more hours of practice until I'm comfortable transitioning in and out of it, and coverting it from windmil to chasing the sun and alternate CTS.

Yes, I'm really that right-handed that it took me 3 years to figure out how to reverse my windmill. rolleyes

Which means that I just doubled the number of moves I can do, since I now no longer have a "front" and "back" to my routine. ubbrollsmile

Don't worry, I only got round to being able to do it properly a while ago... it's surprisingly difficult to get the other way smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
windmill the other way? umm

i don't think even dom is very good at those...

impossible if you ask me - one of the very small list of moves that don't work backwards...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I can do those....

confused

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yer they ain't too bad...

utterly disgusting when you first start.
lovely when you got it down cause it gives you sooooo much scope for stuff.

snakeboard doesn't hurt my knees at all. gives me cramp in the fet but knees feel like a breeze, and this from someone with historically [censored] knees.

head keeping warm. after all i've been keeping it sunny for a while wink

send you one of my exised bits? eek?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Forward glide, box/square glide (aka "True Moonwalk") and neatening up my side and back glides.

Poi-wise - erm... nothing smile

CJ - Loooooooaaaaaaaads of isolationy stuff (What? You're meant to roll the ball? Naaahh - that's dull) whilst waving and popping with a little hint of liquid biggrin

Much more fun than repeated shin and face bashing that comes with learning new poi moves smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
jon:

well done sir.

can you write your abbreviated hop name backwards too?

write it down, then read it out, but say it like you come from derry.

durbs:

where do you get your glide info from?

i think i found a man in west ham that can help but a net resource/net video/a book would be really handy...

roboito:

do you have any that are totally or partly blonde?

if so, i would love one to add to the collection biggrin
EDITED_BY: coleman (1084205815)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
juggling juggle
-Ramsteins Revenge
-423 Millers Mess
Cole when i next come to london i'm gonna have to corner you for some numbers juggling clarification!

Poi weavesmiley
-Improved Hyperloops/Airwraps
-Butterfly waistwrapy stuff

General devil
-Upshirt Burner (vertical staff burnoff to up the t-shirt chest hair destroyer) Not recommended!!! redface

Surely if you can do corkscrew both ways it's the same for windmills? Next project is to sus out the matrix...

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i managed to do one handed butterfly behind my head with both hands smile but still having trouble with reverse 4bt/5bt weave frown

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Quote:

jon:
well done sir.
can you write your abbreviated hop name backwards too?
write it down, then read it out, but say it like you come from derry.

Years ahead of you mate wink

You just havent been on HOP chat biggrin

Its still funny everytime I say it. I also find it works if you say it like Jo Derry.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
UCOF - On Soulseek do a search for "illdills gliding instructional" (I've got it if no one else has) and also "Gliding Instructional" which is quite comedy as it's like Sesame Steet stlyeeeeee video. The gliding in it isn't actually that great, but the theories sound.

Annoyingly, it seems gliding is about 20% technique, 10% timing and (quick bit of maths) 70% foot/toe strength i.e. you just can't do it for the first few weeks/months as your feet aren't strong enough frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
or in Lamens terms... Moonwalking???

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well...

"Moonwalking" existed before Michael Jackson did it to Billy Jean. Only he did it differently and called it the Moonwalk - so there are now 2 definitions of Moonwalking.

What MJ does is technically back-gliding (although he keeps his feet on the floor, a true back-glide has the sliding foot hovering off the floor)

A "True Moonwalk" is a glide hitting four corners of a square so you spin round - again do a search on KaZaa Lite of Soulseek for "True Moonwalk" there's a 5 second clip of one.

Meh - I'll show you when I see you, it's much easier than using words biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

tenticleenthusiast
275 posts

Posted:
poi: forward iso 5bt, 3bt iso ttn, 10 tangled beat hyperloop (has 3 transitions), butterfly handcuff wraps where you do odd things to get them undone, bfly to bth bfly with thru wraps on the wrists and biceps (and ocasionally nose).

staff: the weathers been nice so i've been out doors where theres room... a steve. a 360 horizontal neck roll. btb helicopter foot throws and catches. lap roll, waist roll that goes down the leg, other weird leg rolls in my quest for a contact staff handstand, and some odd things where you stand on the staff that come after watching several hours of rodney mullen videos.

skateboard: a 1" ollie.

double chopstick butterfly finger spinning, slowly. contact chopstick, for those inconvinient chinese-resturant-no-staff-spinning-rule situations. also works with pens. although people get annoyed if you keep flicking your pen at them in lectures. or in chinese resturants.

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
Whoop Whoop!
I did a windmill hyperloop last night. now that i have been arsed to actually look into hyperloops instead of just being generally confused by them i think they may be getting easier! weavesmiley

and i can juggle 3 balls now as well! i am the best! biggrin

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
YAY YAYA sems silly but i finally masterd the concept of a 4bt/5 bt weave. still polishing it but its looking fgood, i find i naturally slip into 4bt instead of 3bt

i taught someone how to do weave, butterfly and chase the sun in 2 hours today was cool as

i am proud lol ubblol ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

in to the eye of another

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
the things bluecat does on black and blue where you hold both ends of the poi and loop it around the other one.

rolleyes

thank you for the ideas.

also a sketchy airwrap release, that works someof time. (working means i catch it and it comes untangled)

smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
After about 6 months of hitting myself in the face, I have finally sorted a reverse 5bt weave.
cool
Strangely, it feels more comfortable than a forwards 5bt! confused

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

graceBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
i was trying to do a reverse forward weave tonight and got arm cramp and had to stop. i think i got the concept of it though which in my mind is halfway there.

in to the eye of another

Page: ......