Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

sayamember
30 posts

Posted:
I learned some wraps to yesterday:D They are fun! Even when I get my leg tied up because of the tails ubblol I hope I will have sockpoi's soon, they make wraps a lot easier. (why couldn't my boyfriend just forget to take them home with him?devil)

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Umm this week it's been: Hyperloop (with flag poi!), front WW, reverse 4/6 beat (either I bring it across too early and I miss a beat or too late and I get a wrap), a new lock out flower weave combo thing with pirouettes and a giant circle carry... I think that's it... I'm so totally addicted to the weave it's silly.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
i've had quite a productive couple of days (with regards to poi spinning, anyway) ...

i've now managed to do:
buzzsaw
7 beat weave (without wraps)
behind the back weave, with turns
behind the back 5 beat weave
one handed butterfly, behind the head
some kind of strange turning butterfly weave... i'm not sure what it should be called

i've also been playing with various throws;
throwing both poi in the air, turning around, catching them in opposite hands, then continuing the spin in the original direction.
throwing just one poi in the air (from reverse), catching it, and then spinning it forwards. can be used to go from a weave to a butterfly, or the other way round.

and slightly less pointful, i can spin 2 spins with one hand while the other does 3 spins. no idea what i can use that for though.

and i've managed an airwrap - about twice - after many many attempts. and nearly managed a behind the back threading the needle.

and i think that's about it... phew...

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
I can do the basic flower (damn it's hard getting your body to do what you want it to) with sock poi, but the practice ones with tails are too light and slow down too much when my arm is stretched behind me frown

It's better to burn out than to fade away

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
With plenty of whapping and clocking myself in the face - I have a very crude form of the backwards weave and turn.

I figured out the low wave and the alternating butterfly, too. biggrin

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

632 posts

Posted:
Whoo! I finally nailed 5 beat reverse weave! I just dragged my hands across a bit faster on my left side, and It fell into place!

Then, cos I was bored, I worked out a 3 beat corckscrew... and then, with a wrap, turned it into a 5 beat... and then hit myself in the face. Also did a bit more work on the waistwrap and a 3 beat to cross armed thing... I look like a flamenco dancer!

JastapusBRONZE Member
39 posts

Posted:
got a few air wraps after the happy man had instructed me on what to do. then i got two in a row so wow air wraps in my repitoire

Cogito Ergo Sum

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
A three beat corkscrew - that sounds cool smile

I've smoothed out my backwards weave and I've managed to be able to do a simple routine forwards and smoothly changing directions and then doing the routine - backwards - end to beginning smile

and longarming the weaves is a lot of fun, too - a nice stretch in the workout.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Stick ManBRONZE Member
37 posts

Posted:
I’ve been trying real hard to figure out the tek names for all these moves but half the definitions still confuse me so please bear with me here. I’ve been working on a 5 beat cork screw hyperloop(total of 7 beats over arms 7 beats under arms) with a plane break buzzsaw in between. I can never count the beats on the buzzsaw because I’m focusing on trying to keep the heads 180 degrees apart at that point. Most of the time they end up at 90 degrees. So it goes: 7 beats top horizontal plane, ? beats middle plane(between arms), 7 beats bottom horizontal plane, back to top plane(or middle if I feel lucky). I can do the move 75% of the time, but it looks good(actual split time) 10% of the time.

I ain't been around the world, but I've been around the block. I ain't seen everything, but I've seen enough to talk. I'm not a prophet, I'm not the 2nd comming of christ. I'm just a mason with a will to build and a little advice.

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
i pretty much nailed btb 3btweave 360 yesterday,
managed to pull it off a couple of times.
nearly managed a 540.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

632 posts

Posted:
Yay! I've pulled a 5 beat FW to 5 beat REV weave turn! I wonder if it's possible to pull a fountain in 5 beat? I'm sure it is, but trying to make my arms cross that much and fling that bottom hand around so the poi stay far enough apart each time is bloody hard!

Juile, for the 3 beat corkscrew you just cross your arms, like you are going to pull a 3 beat and move your hand down (or up) rather than across. It flows so easily it's just silly!

Now for more Hyperloopy goodness!

OddBall Ninjanewbie
12 posts

Posted:
i just nailed a buzzsaw and horizontal buzz saw without hitting myself! go team me!!

Life's short, Party Naked

Le Parkour - the expression of freedom

632 posts

Posted:
woot! isolated buzzsaw and 4 beat corckscrew. I have too much time on my hands.

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
I just managed to nail the btb 3 bt weave (reverse, can't do forwards yet).

Just gotta tidy it up so I don't keep clipping my calves...

It's better to burn out than to fade away

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I got like 4 isolations in a forward 3 Beat Weave on either side... inside, inside above then outside, then outside above, variations can switch to the other side. (right to left or visa versa at any point...infinate tight isolations.., been combining it with a buzz-saw and its insane. ^^

(Inside meaning the bottom hand poi is spinning closest to the body).

I've been trying with it all backwards and then combining it, so far its 4 on left, 4 on right, then with combinations its 16, then backwards its 32... then crossing those is 64. I've nailed about 19. I think them all in sucession would look sweet, adding in some leveling higher and lower buzz-saws...and then tying in 4 beats and more...stalls...wraps!!! Considering I've had spinners block of recent, I'm on to something! I can think of about maybe 200+ different variations

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

nat100newbie
2 posts

Posted:
hi, i am trying to teach myself and not being very sucsessful! if anything very boring, does anyone live near Cardiff and got ant tips on how to progress! it's all still pretty basic for me! x

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I saw one nice thing in COL5 from Jools:

She was spinning backward Weave wheel plane, than she fully wrap her Poi(still inna Follow time) aroung wrists so in looked like she had her Poi in her hands. By the way she move her hand around the body at the top to the other side and there were both Poi reciled, voala smile

POI THEO(R)IST

632 posts

Posted:
Whoo! Isolated buzzsaw, 3beat btb rev, some weird but bloody simple weave variation that goes over-inside-across...don't know what it's called, but I think it's cool.

Plus I did a spin involving no 3 beat weaves... which was fun! Kept spinning half 5 beat weaves into 4 beat windmills.

Oh yeah, and I finally managed to do a reverse fountain/windmill. Yay for spnning in the rain!

LeifGOLD Member
56 posts

Posted:
btl ww (left right and center), isolation jump over, full butterfly mexican wave, single poi split bfly ww, a whole new class of weird half wrap-dragon tail moves, isolation grab, btb pinwheel (buzzsaw) wrap, and many other nameless oddoties that would require disection in order to know what they would be called.

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

LeifGOLD Member
56 posts

Posted:
A double pinwheel (buzzsaw) wrap! Enter from a five beat. Just make sure when the wrap switches back to the oposite arm you give enough room to pull the poi between the arms. It does not seem that you can reel this move until you get to the second stage, which is a regular pinwheel (buzzsaw) wrap.

Man that one felt good to find!

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

632 posts

Posted:
Whoo! I just nailed a basic Hyperloop, rev ttn and a butterfly weave, but that btb ww is an absolute git. i've nailed reverse 4 beat windwill, and improved my btb butterfly stuff, but stil can't get the one trick I've been wanting to do all summer! aaargh!

632 posts

Posted:
Finally! After the entire Summer, I finally managed to spin a full waist wrap! *dances happily* I also improved by Butterfly weave, my hyperloops and can now do a rather nice isolated reverse buzzsaw too.

I also managed a couple of cycles of a 7 beat weave, but its ugly and my elbows hurt when I try, so I doubt I'll be doing that one much.

I've got lots of time in the evenings, so poi's been the best way to make the evenings go by. I'm not addicted or anything... honest!>,<

Next tricks to do, 3 beat forwards btb weave , 5 beat btb weave, flowers (which I still can't do), maybe learn some more reels, and after that... some more wraps, some more stalls, and then, get on with learning some more techy stuff.

TiffXBRONZE Member
76 posts

Posted:
I learnt hoe to do the 3 beat weave yesterday morning, i havnt been spinning for very long so i proud of myself!

Peace xxx

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side!

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Sweet - I finally can do a reverse mexican wave and alternating butterfly without killing myself!

"I'm your Huckleberry."

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Progressing well.. need to do a new vid. This week I got buzzsaws, isolations (mostly) and one handed weave down. Workin on fluidity and general spacial/trajectory awareness. Still having absolutely no luck with btb weaves (btb in general provides me with plenty frustrations).

Sadly, the two poi I've actually bought have largely been crap and provided their own frustrations. My homemade sock poi has been great and I'm workin to create my own "perfect sock glow poi" smile. Just need to find good sock material..

Progression is fun! Thanks to all the HoPers out there that help others out.
smile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
i just got btb weave and i've sort of got 7,8,9 and more beat weaves but i really just cheat and use a hyperloop in middle. also i've got some sort of turning weave thingy switching between revers and forwards weave. and i think a sort of 1 handed weave which i've been able to do for a while but never knew it was really a move till i read the post above.

i know it's not all that impressive but considering i do staff and only touched poi like 2 months ago i'm content with it

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
just now i learnt split time long arm butterfly 180s and 360s, one of those simple things ive never been able to do

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yoni - Adding a hyperloop to a weave isn't adding more beats. It's a transition from weave to Hyperloop. With a weave, you cross your hands as you move across your body with the poi. A hyperloop, however, you have your hands apart and go through buzzsaw plane as they are tangled. Not adding extra beats to a weave. If you mean airwrap, that's another thing totally as well, not a hyperloop. Again, technically not adding more beats, but simply adding an airwrap into a weave. I think you're getting confused with your terminology here. Weaves do not involve separations.

Also, if you've only just learnt two thirds of a fountain, I highly doubt that you have a nine, or even a seven beat weave, for that matter. Sorry to piss on your bonfire.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
nahh it's cool
i need to be corrected cos my terminolgy.
i wasn't exactly sure but i was doing a 5 bt weave then doing a hyperloop that was about 4 beats so just added them up as it were
altho my hyperloops are allot better now and i can keep em going for quite a while

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
By the sounds of it, you also need to learn how to count beats... There's a thread somewhere that'll help you out...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Page: ......