Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
this week i have mostly been learning how to stall my poi

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
btb weave (my calves are so raw)

split time ttn, although it doesnt appeal so much, looks fnny

and, well thats all, i could lie, but lets not push it

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone:
spiral fountain
omg!!

i have no idea how it would work as i stopped learning to spin clubs when juggling started to take over.
that sounds like it would look gorgeous though
note to self: go back to learning to swing snakes and spirals.

i've learnt nothing new really so i feel a bit cheeky posting here but i had to say something - i didn't even know a spiral fountain existed!

441 with clubs generally gets to the third go now before it gets really messy. 531 refuses to work from my left hand side.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

space cadetmember
19 posts

Posted:
Finally mostly cracked the BTB reverse weave. Awww, yeah.

FlamingMonkeymember
50 posts

Posted:
i just got the five beat weave and the four best corkscrew, so i'm happy

Monkey see, Monkey do...

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by FlamingMonkey:
i just got the five beat weave and the four best corkscrew, so i'm happy
dude, I was just going to say that

Lasa'nta Dubh Mac Tiremember
51 posts

Posted:
I learned everything on the first part of the 'Art Of Poi' vid ! yay! with much pain i might add.

Nothing goes through the Lunitics dark mind... By his own Decaying HeartI love the little tacos... I love them goood G.i.rI'm gunna roll around on the floor for abit k? G.i.r

DarkDevilmember
233 posts

Posted:
I just learned something... its like a 5 beat weave only with a short buzzsaw in the middle, to lazy to look for the proper name, but i love it.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is not a trick, this is a stunt. The difference between a stunt and a trick is that a trick is something that tricks or fools the audience, a stunt is something that only an idiot would do -Ivan, Ash Circle, 10/04/03

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Pretty boring I know, but just managed to get the 3 beat BTB weave after several months of doing a 1 beat instead. Oh, and the 7 beat weave too. 2 moves in a day, both of which hurt...

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Hurrah just managed two moves in a day! Air wraps and the butterfly weave, me so happy

Now for the BTB 3bt weave! this is gonna hurt!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

overdosemember
13 posts

Posted:
ehh...i dont really know any tricks (i can do the 3way and a weird weave-like thing) but i saw my friend brandon bust out with a neat-o trick.
he was doing a one handed butterfly, and transfered it to hhis mouth. he did kind of a head-bangin' butterfly. it was swell.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
sounds like someone has been watching tepooka vids.... hehehe

*tips hat to steve*

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

tennisBRONZE Member
confused and abused
363 posts

Posted:
Never posted on this thread before but dead proud today, just got two or three complete 7 beat btb forwards weave motions. Oh joy oh joy!!!!!!!!!

T e n n i s

Beth Please please show/teach me the butterfly weave when we hook up I have never even seen it before but it sounds funky. please....pretty please......pretty pretty please...

My cat's breath smells like catfood

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Ill do my best tennis but im still a little rusty have been practicing it loads these past few days so should (if i keep on practicing) have it down by the party!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Angel_Xpressmember
55 posts

Posted:
Mission Impossible became possible over the weekend

the Butterfly Weave

it's a bit messy but im working on it.

I am an Angel

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
after weeks of not poi'ing I picked up my stuff last night and got the BTB 5 bt butterfly weave, BTB 7bt weave.. and this funky hyperloop/buzzsaw/hyperloop/halfwrap tangled mess thing...

woot...

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
i just learned the btb hyperloop yeah!

i was surprised its easier than a btb forward weave

¿

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
new moves: butterfly weave, i think because the descriptions are wierd, i manage a split-time btf in the wheel plane and bounce it on each side.

reverse weave hyperloop, which is much easier to do than the regular weave hyperloop.

and these two moves i saw in a poiinthepark video, one is like from a windmill you separate your hands and make four circles in the wallplane in front of you, its like four circles moving in a cross. i can't be bothered to explain the other one

second, i firespun at a rave for the first time, hard-tek french rave, nothing candy-ish about it. twas fun. but considering the quantity and variety of tings i ingested at the party, i thought i would be useless and hurt myself, but i got even more excited and pulled off some amazing stuff. (and completely destroyed my friend's brand new jumper by doing arm wraps.)

sorry mathieu

raves r wikked

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

Wizz-er-pops
206 posts

Posted:
Yesterday I manged to do the behind the btb butterfly and the reverse weave for the first time ever.

Big beaming smiles

It has taken me a wee while and a lot of pain, esp the reserse weave when I hit myself in the nose twice in a row causing what I call a Rudolf effect.

Poi... it's an obsession.

SlightlySingedGOLD Member
82 posts

Posted:
I've been playing with 5-beat weave, doing a behind the back beat half way through. So when doing the 5-beats on my right side, i spin the poi on my right behind my back to the left side, then bring it back to the right and continue with the last beat or two before moving the weave to the left side. Then repeating it on the left side. Not too sure how it looks.. but it feels cool.

I do poi nearly every day. But it's not like I'm addicted or anything. I mean, sure, I am always conscious of exactly where my poi are at all times, but I'm not obsessed. um.. Anyone have the number for Poi-ers Anon?

NoveSILVER Member
Unremarkable
277 posts

Posted:
In a burst of inspiration last night, I got a (tenuous) hold on the 4-beat weave -and- the btb butterfly!

*dances around doing the 4-beat weave before smacking herself in the shin*

But they both still need some work... No matter- I'm still so very happy!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
4-beat butterfly weave so far, still working on the other side... damn planes have to be spot on! Same with the BTB butterfly weave...

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Apemember
4 posts

Posted:
Finally. Now I can do both 5-beat weaves...

My pois felt in love with wraps I have to do new fresh combos again and again. My hands and legs are really deformed...

Poi is like a sex.You can't stop and sometimes it hurts... ;)

Apemember
4 posts

Posted:
Oooooh.
My
first
well-done
HYPERLOOP.

Poi is like a sex.You can't stop and sometimes it hurts... ;)

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
YAY!!

I have succesfully mastered(????) a 4 beat weave by attempting a 5 beat and getting it wrong!!

Thanks to Oli and Tennis for demonstrating this at Polzeath at the weekend otherwise I would still be totally clueless!!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

KristieEBmember
108 posts

Posted:

i got the reverse weave ... and for about 2 seconds it was UNugly.

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Well, I don't have any neat new moves, BUT I JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST BURN!!!!

WOOHOO!!!

I do believe I'm hooked....

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

poi toymember
9 posts

Posted:
Finally managed to get the 5(6?) beat weave in fwds an backwards...

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Well, I haven't mastered it yet, but I'm finally making progress on the forward 3-beat BTB weave. After bruising myself severely for months without actually making progress on how it all fits together, I'm finally getting the order of operations down, ya know, what hand has to go where in what order.

Now I just need to work on reaching my hands across far enough so I don't smack the ole twig n berries after a couple of repititions. I also need to work out my body movements and get my big ass out of the way of the poi! Fat people just weren't meant to do BTB moves, lol.

I'm getting good at the move where you go from a forward 3 beat weave and turn and stick out your elbows so they wrap on both elbows and you can either bounce them back and forth on your elbows, or just come out of it in a reverse weave. Don't know if that has a name...

5,6 beat weaves? hmmm... I think you folks are a little ahead of me, lol.

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i've just looked thru all the free lessons on this site - and there's a trick i seem to have made up! i thought i was doing the butterfly, but then i saw the video on this site!! it's a bit different to what i do!

i spin the poi in split time forward, then bring my hands closer together in front of my body (one hand a bit in front of the other) till my wrists are about an inch apart. a little kid saw me doing it and said 'it looks like a forcefield!' so cute, but kinda true!

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

Page: ......