Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Splittime butterfly staggered stalls, you are MINE! Thanks to Derek for letting me wrap my head around it, very surprisingly, I needed no practice.

Here's his video for you wink

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Alright guys, today is the freaking day. I vow to get one direction of the btb 3beat weave going today! Haven't messed with it too much seriously aside from getting each hands motion down. But this is it, I draw my line in the sand!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, I got all of these kind of clean now, still don't trust me doin the first one with fire though.

Man those were hard to learn

brenonfire413SILVER Member
Fire Spinner Exarch
514 posts

Posted:
Oh, BTW, after an ongoing duel that's lasted over twenty hours total I finally did conquer the btb 3 beat weave. It was an epic struggle, but I chopped off it's head and sent it back to it's crying wives and children. My ankles are hating me though, they're still sore! I still need to polish it quite a bit and I still suck at the forwards btb, so it's still not complete...

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

2,280 posts

Posted:
that 'tis be true when learning btb.You make me reminisce on all my pain tongue2

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
It's been long since I last updated this, but just do recap what I've most recently learned over the past week.. Got more familiar with Zan's diamond and learned to go through it in all the modes, plus the one Drex showed in last week's blog where the timing changes.. And I got down wallplane meltdowns in all the modes, which is a great victory.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i actually found out you can do a 2 beat butterfly weave yesterday

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i officially just learned the wiggle!

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
I have never heard of "the wiggle".

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
The term is from Michal Kahn's Poi Spinning (at least that's where I first saw it).

It's an extended split time butterfly reel: you kinda wiggle (more of a twist really) as you do it. Fun. smile

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Wow.... There is one I have not heard in years.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
It was the first thing I learnt where my left hand wasn't just following my right: a big step.

It's also one of the things that a lay audience likes if you do it with light / fire, because of the way the poi seem to be all 'round you.

So yay! Well done Midkiff!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well the way i learned it, it is a split time butterfly hip reel alternating to a split time butterfly shoulder reel and back one hand up and one hand down

2,280 posts

Posted:
What my friend is a Wiggle? I'm interested now and can't find it on Youtube.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Midkiffwell the way i learned it, it is a split time butterfly hip reel alternating to a split time butterfly shoulder reel and back one hand up and one hand down

Oh, that. Yeah, I love that one. Feels great, and makes an easy turn in split time butterfly.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitWhat my friend is a Wiggle? I'm interested now and can't find it on Youtube.

I've never specifically looked for it on YT, I don't recall seeing it - I got it from Michal Kahn's book.

Pretty much as midkiff describes, with an extension in front for the third beat so you don't dislocate your shoulder.

So, imagine split time inwards butterfly: right arm goes once behind your hip, extend up to once behind your shoulder, extension in front back to behind your hip. Left arm follows 1/2 beat behind, which leads to the wiggle.

Either hand can lead and if you do it outwards it's reverse so behind shoulder- behind hip-front-behind shoulder.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I have no idea what was just described crazy

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's just raising a hip reel into a butterfly windmill and back, except one hand goes up while the other goes down.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
I haven't heard of the term before either, but from the description I'm thinking that the thing I do in the collab video around 4:32-4:35 would be considered turning with Wiggle (though extremely sloppy) ?

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I just put some kind of weight in the handles on a pair of poi, and have really started to explore throws more. Can do the cool toss each poi to the other hand during an upward stall while spinning opposites.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm coming along slowly with throws, but I just got the hang of putting a random toss into a weave. It's a big step for me to A) not change the direction of the poi when I catch it, and B) to be able to spin with the other hand at the same time.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: ReVoI haven't heard of the term before either, but from the description I'm thinking that the thing I do in the collab video around 4:32-4:35 would be considered turning with Wiggle (though extremely sloppy) ?

It looks like it to me.

I think most experienced poisters would include that combo in passing now and then, without thinking about it, but to me as a beginner it was a milestone.

It's also one those moves 'lay' people like, especially when done with light or fire, because of the variation in circle size and the way it wraps around you.

GrooveBRONZE Member
Groove is the key .
1 post

Posted:
i am very new to poi. just made my first sock poi last week, and i love them.
i have been hooping since last summer so i am just getting te hang of both arts.

i hope to learn from each person i meet on here. :]

2,280 posts

Posted:
Split-time same direction stalls behind my back

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Just starting to get those myself. Also got the notcoleman weave, which I don't really like tongue2

2,280 posts

Posted:
what is the notcoleman weave? it's not on youtube

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's an inverted 3bt weave. For the forwards, when you bring one arm over the other, instead of taking it back to the other side of your body you bring it up between your arms. Basically instead of the single beat on that arm's side of your body, you bring it through the buzzsaw plane.

Nonsensestranger
11 posts

Posted:
ok this is gonna sounds so lame but im very happy i just learned how to do bw 2bt weave grin i just never did anything bw and its very hard for me frown

but next step bw 3bt weave wooooo!!!

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Congratulations! smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
Awesome grin Don't worry, going the other way is harder for everyone. I still suck a buzzsaw flowers the opposite direction than I normally do.