• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Good work. smile

Feels good, yeah?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

LkL
LkL

journeyman

Total posts: 79
Posted:haha, i had reverse 3 beat btb weave down, i was proud and i was letting my eye heal, i knocked my self good and blacked my eye with it. but had it down and started working on 3bt btb again and i seem to have to not necessarily relearn it but get my groove back, i can do 3bt about 2-5 times in a row and then my arms give out on me or get confused or something, and im still working on trying to figure out how to 3bt forward, but dont leave it out to long or you may be in same position i am.

Delete

Bam_Bam
Bam_Bam

Raver X
Total posts: 15
Posted:Yea i just weighed my poi down with golf balls inside of my tennis balls. Used the great stuff to keep the golf balls form moving inside my tennis balls. I picked isolation up right away. Im so happy smile

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Hmmm.... I should go through this thread at some point and see what shiny things are buried in the dim past.

Well done on the new stuff by the way. smile

Delete

LkL
LkL

journeyman

Posted:same direction crossers
FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!

Delete

JaredW
JaredW

enthusiast
Total posts: 375
Posted:Just started this weekend. So far I've learned a few basic things, forward and backward spinning, split time, high turn, low turn, tuck turn, 2 and 3 beat weaves, along with cursing and knotting lol. Next up I think is going to be windmill and buzzsaw.

Delete

JaredW
JaredW

enthusiast
Posted:Well I lost power last night and couldn't post, but yesterday I managed to get a 5beat weave. Still a little sloppy, well maybe more than a little :P, but it's getting better.

Also learned to turn my body around mid weave and go from a forward to a reverse, and got a few turns down with the poi spinning in opposite directions.

Was raining last night and my ceilings are a little low so I didn't get to practice a windmill as planned.

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

owner of the group property
Total posts: 1277
Posted:Woot! Crossers are hella fun.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

LkL
LkL

journeyman

Posted:oh i love crossers smile.
I am working on uta crossers now so i can transition from crossers - uta crosser back to weaves and reels and what nots
and working on my damn btb weaves trying to clean them up and get them exact/ trying to still get forward btb weave =/

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Crossers took me forever to nail. Then I realised that I was doing them anyway via a something completely different. Now they are fine. smile

Delete

JaredW
JaredW

enthusiast
Posted:Been a bit since I posted in here, but since last time things have been a little too stressful around the house for me to get much time to spin. Have picked up a few new things though, got the windmill down fairly well, which I actually kinda learned on accident. Every time I try a corkscrew it wants to slowly drift up into a windmill laugh3

Now working on air wraps and butterfly.

Delete

Ringshadow
Ringshadow

journeyman
Total posts: 81
Posted:I just got my furry poi in the mail today. Working on forward/backward spins without them crossing toward each other, naturally. I'm really only posting because I creamed myself in the face and sent my glasses flying (they're fine but my nose hurts now). Felt the need to share. :\

Happiness is a skill, not a commodity
I have been kidnapped by hooping.

Delete

JaredW
JaredW

enthusiast
Posted:Well today was a good day. Butterfly, reverse butterfly, split time butterfly, 4 beat corkscrew and windmill, fountain.
Almost got the hyperloops down, and an overhead spiral but I'm still just a little off plane spinning overhead so they're hard to catch.

Not really an impressive list of things I know, but what made all the difference today was for some reason I just kinda hit a point where things just flowed together really well.

Delete

Lye
Lye

Fate Keeps Telling Me To Stop

Total posts: 270
Posted:I just learned reels again. And I learned windmill extensions.

Delete

Derek_Faughn
DerekJF85
Total posts: 101
Posted:Windmill extensions. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. They feel so pretty!

"Dream as you will live forever, and live as you will die today"
James Dean

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
Total posts: 2280
Posted:How are you just learning those? Lol, and they do feel pretty and they look awesome with fire grin I learned those when I learned windmills because I remember my exchange student Lukas doing those. As for what I just learned, I finally got my reverse 7bt weave down.
If you want to know something else pretty, do one beat of each of these in order and repeat: Butterfly, behind the head butterfly, butterfly (extend on the bottom for transition), angel wings (1bt remember that!), and repeat. It looks amazing with fire grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

owner of the group property
Total posts: 1277
Posted:They're great. They're also my favorite way to go into wallplane flowers: half way through it you reverse direction and go into antispin. Also with both butterfly and windmill extensions, pausing part way through to spin an isolation with both hands also got a pretty good reaction when I did it.

Insert rainbow + star and "the more you know" music.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

Derek_Faughn
DerekJF85
Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitHow are you just learning those? Lol, and they do feel pretty and they look awesome with fire grin I learned those when I learned windmills because I remember my exchange student Lukas doing those. As for what I just learned, I finally got my reverse 7bt weave down.
If you want to know something else pretty, do one beat of each of these in order and repeat: Butterfly, behind the head butterfly, butterfly (extend on the bottom for transition), angel wings (1bt remember that!), and repeat. It looks amazing with fire grin

DOOOOOD! I used to do those all the time!!!! Take pictures of that!!!!!!....They turn out looking so cool! The pattern it make on camera looks like a some kinda spacecraft made of light that around you! You just gotta see it. And also instead of doing angel wings with this, you can just do a BTB butterfly, and it also looks uber cool.

James Dean

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
Total posts: 2280
Posted:Now you got me curious, I want to take a pic of it. About how long should the lens be exposed because that's a lot to capture. Nvm, I just realized, it only feels like forever XD I am currently working on getting my btb butterfly looking solid, I could do btb thread the needle almost immediately, but the catch is! I can't get past more than a few beats, I've gotten up to about 5 or 6. And then I want bth thread the needle, this is just because just learning teaches you to greatly improve your planes making it look tighter and giving it that nice look of it bouncing up and down.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

Derek_Faughn
DerekJF85
Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitNow you got me curious, I want to take a pic of it. About how long should the lens be exposed because that's a lot to capture. Nvm, I just realized, it only feels like forever XD I am currently working on getting my btb butterfly looking solid, I could do btb thread the needle almost immediately, but the catch is! I can't get past more than a few beats, I've gotten up to about 5 or 6. And then I want bth thread the needle, this is just because just learning teaches you to greatly improve your planes making it look tighter and giving it that nice look of it bouncing up and down.

Fo Show. Btw it capture more of the move with LEDs then it does with fire.

James Dean

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Gone back to some basics I neglected, finally got split time btb butterfly. Just sort of ignored it, still not sure why I decided to learn it, but what they hey....

Delete

EpitomeOfNovice
EpitomeOfNovice

Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
Total posts: 787
Posted:I just learned the wall plane in spin butterfly flower and the angel wings as well! *proud of self* grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Delete

Dekan
stranger

Total posts: 8
Posted:WOOT ME!

5 beat forward weave is now mine!!!

Delete

Teamo
Teamo

Almost again
Total posts: 124
Posted:Yussss! Butterfly crosser, you belong to ME now! MWAHAHAHA!

Delete

Dannyspin
stranger
Total posts: 1
Posted:hi guys, I'm new to this. sounds like you guys are loving learning some new tricks. Me too. I've just been checking out some of the lesson videos on this site and didn't realise quite how much there is to learn!
Actually I was wondering if anyone knows where in London the workshop is. I know it used to be at Spitalfield market on a Tuesday night but I heard it has moved to The Rag Factory. Does anyone know if this still happens as I'm thinking of going next week.

Thanks, Dan

Delete

Jameth
Jameth

enthusiast
Total posts: 378
Posted:@ Dannyspin - you might have more luck with either the Events and Gatherings section or the Meetings section, both in the International Section near the bottom of the page (I'm in Newcastle NSW, no idea wrt London meets)

Delete

brenonfire413
brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch
Total posts: 514
Posted:ONE HANDED BUTTERFLY FTW!!! =D

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

Paddington Bear

Total posts: 118
Posted:ok, got my first poi for christmass. got the forwards weave and the forwards butterfly nailed now. still working on the backwards weave and reverse butterfly smile.

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

Paddington Bear

Total posts: 118
Posted:1 and 2 handed tuck turn are now nailed smile
just need some polishing
oh and the giant butterfly

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Whoohoo!

Delete