• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:Yeah, Bear1970, cos it makes sense to compare your progress with the rest of the world. tongue2

hug

Delete

Bear1970
SILVER Member since May 2009

Bear1970

Huggy Tart

Total posts: 233
Posted:Oh it does I know!! wink lol My tongue was firmly in cheek I promise!! smile

And please, call me Bear!! wink Only my mum calls me Bear1970 and that's just when she's annoyed!! grin

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

Delete

aston
SILVER Member since Dec 2007

aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League

Total posts: 4061
Posted:Keep going. Maybe your country's rugby will get better too. wink

:idle whistle:

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

MelissaRhae

MelissaRhae

I have dibbs on Zack Attack

Total posts: 11
Posted:ok i am a dork. My two beat weave was a two beat weave not a three beat weave. how i got them mixed up, well I was looking at myself do teh two beat weave in my head so yeah that was my issue. But now I am proud to say I can do two beat and three beat forward and backwards with either hand leading. I think so far the backwards stuff was really hard to learn not becasue I didn't understand it but trying to get my arms to do what I wanted them to do lol. But the most trouble I had was two beat weave backwards with my right hand leading. My left arm wanted to lead not follow so i am lucky i use soft poi otherwise i woudl be black and blue lol

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

Delete

MelissaRhae

MelissaRhae

I have dibbs on Zack Attack

Total posts: 11
Posted:ok this is prob really bad since this site has learn how videos, but this is where I leaned my begginer moves ( like this week seriously)nathaniel really breaks it down and even over exagerated moves so that you can see how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NathanielEverist
br>
Also Nick woosley is also a great teacher. These two will have you spinning like a pro. you just have to get your arms to do what you head tells it to. ( that is my issue sometimes lol)
http://www.youtube.com/user/meenik
br>
I hope this helps

I am not smiling because I am happy... I am smiling becasue you have all finally driven me insane!

Delete

Bear1970

Bear1970

Huggy Tart

Posted:Originally Posted By: astonKeep going. Maybe your country's rugby will get better too. wink

:idle whistle:

LMAO!! We can but hope Aston!! We can but hope!! I won't go into a frustrated match analysis here!! wink

Originally Posted By: MelissaRhaeok this is prob really bad since this site has learn how videos, but this is where I leaned my begginer moves ( like this week seriously)nathaniel really breaks it down and even over exagerated moves so that you can see how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NathanielEverist
br>
Also Nick woosley is also a great teacher. These two will have you spinning like a pro. you just have to get your arms to do what you head tells it to. ( that is my issue sometimes lol)
http://www.youtube.com/user/meenik
br>
I hope this helps

Cool smile I'll have a look at those tonight!!

On related notes I bought my niece and nephew a set of poi each a couple of weeks ago and they're both enjoying playing with them!! My nephew (17.5yrs) is going great guns and looks to be a natural!! grin

Delete

Derwyn

Derwyn

Lightworker

Total posts: 88
Posted:I did fire tonight for the first time!!!! It was the most amazing feeling ever!

"When we dance with the faeries, we dance with the reflections of our true selves and the true inner self of the world."

"If you keep thinking like that, you'll never get to meet a Unicorn."

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:grin

Glad it went well Derwyn.

Delete

T-S-A

T-S-A

Magic Monkey Juice

Total posts: 252
Posted:This week:

Finally got a BTB 3 beat weave the other day (about time)... Been trying that on and off for ages, moaning and grumbling that I can't do them. I finally spent some time on it the other day and think I have it now. Started working on the hand movements of the BTB 5 beat so I don't end up getting stuck in a 3bt pattern, making it harder in future.

Managed to get down reverse 5 beat weave too after AGES of hitting myself and failing, all it took was a slight hand ajustment.

Been experimenting with stalls too, have just learned to go from TTN, stall/wrap(?) on arms and flick out into a hyperloop. Got orbitals a little tighter, having swivles has made them last LOADS longer, enabling me to move them around my body too.

Been toying with split time opposite flowers and throws/whip catches too.

But my biggest achievement lately has been normal and antispin isolated buzzsaw flowers.

Am planning on lighting up for the first time tomorrow, am really looking forwards to it, a little nervous, but I think it would be a bit irrisponcible not to be. Just going to stick with the basics to start off with, if I get confident I may try some more advanced stuff (for me anyway)... We shall see how it goes smile

EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1246926284)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Delete

Kiwido
BRONZE Member since Jul 2009

stranger

Total posts: 3
Posted:I am so proud! I learned the 5-Beat-weave yesterday. Well, the poi tended to hit delicate parts :-) and sometimes went a bit "out of round", but it is a 5-Beat-Weave! Yeah!!!

Delete

T-S-A

T-S-A

Magic Monkey Juice

Posted:Originally Posted By: KiwidoI am so proud! I learned the 5-Beat-weave yesterday. Well, the poi tended to hit delicate parts :-) and sometimes went a bit "out of round", but it is a 5-Beat-Weave! Yeah!!! Awesome... I love 5bt weaves grin

Keep at it and you will get it smooth.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Delete

ChrissssEH!!

stranger

Total posts: 5
Posted:-giggles cutely- I can do doubles, shoulder reels and hip reels... like they're nothing! -giggles cutely more- it is new, trust me! I know know the name of what I do! -giggles insanely cutely and runs off to play with her poi-

though it's been said many times and many ways....

the cute ones are always the ones who'll kill you.

Delete

Bear1970

Bear1970

Huggy Tart

Posted:Just about getting the hang of take outs now though my left side is still very, very poor!! lol

3 beat weave is remaining elusive *sigh*

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Posted:You've probably read this already because I think I post it just about every time someone can't get the 3 beat...

But can you do the 2 beat with each hand on top?

If so, just try going from your least natural hand on top and swapping over to the most natural hand on top (This will require an extra beat)

If that fails, I have other tips...

Is there a need for a 3 beat weave tutorial? I don't know how comprehensive the ones out there are... I'm happy to make one if someone feels that I could create a more comprehensive tutorial than what is already available.

hug

Delete

Bear1970

Bear1970

Huggy Tart

Posted:There is a 3 Beat Weave tutorial video on here but the guy spins so fast it's hard for me to really get what he's doing!! lol

And I'm not sure what you mean by the hand on top thing either!! grin

I frustrate myself sometimes. lol

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Posted:Do the 2 beat. Look at your hands... one hand will ALWAYS be on top. If its changing then its a 3 beat.

hug

Delete

Bear1970

Bear1970

Huggy Tart

Posted:I'll have a ponder next time I have my poi out!! grin Which could potentially be tonight if I get along to Spinning@ for the first time!! Scary thought!! New people and all that!!

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Posted:Go! Someone can help you there, I'm sure!

I need to buy a new camera charger so I can start making tutorials again.

hug

Delete

Letsgrooveagain

stranger

Total posts: 1
Posted:its not a really fancy move but its feels cool and it flows nicely...pretty easy too.

you do a btb butterfly then move to a reg butterfly and then behind your head then back btb...its makes one hell of a cool picture..like a figure 8 then you got trails behind your back 2

Delete

keb84

stranger

Total posts: 10
Posted:I'm stuggling with the 3 beat backward weave - any tips?
My planes go to pot when I cross the poi in front when spinning backwards! This generally ends up with hitting myself in the face. Luckily I practise with soft poi.

Delete

T-S-A

T-S-A

Magic Monkey Juice

Posted:Do it slowly, practise it as a 2 beat on each side. Once you have that confidently try starting on the strongest side, and go for 1 3 beat and then back to wheel plane on each side. Repeat this on the other side until you have that stronger. Then repeat it each side until you get the transition between the 2 a little more confidently, then it's just a case of putting it all together and hopefully you should have it soon.

This is the method I used to learn it, others may have better ideas. Don't be afraid of hitting yourself either, it's only a few bruises smile

Good luck

EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1248224285)

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:MNS: The current ones are quite comprehensive. They are also pretty common, since it is viewed as such a basic move.

Maybe someone should look for some video tutorials and put them all in a thread like Simta did ages ago....

If no one objects (and/or does it before me), I may do it in a few weeks.

Delete

Bear1970

Bear1970

Huggy Tart

Posted:Inordinately pleased with myself tonight!! smile

I finally got the 3 beat weave sussed thanks to seeing a video that showed the hand movements from above!! grin

Might not sound like much but it was really bugging me!! wink

Delete

NeverDoll

NeverDoll

New and Improved!

Total posts: 16
Posted:I have at last managed to do a reverse 2 beat weave with my right hand leading! I could do the two beat forward with both hands, and reverse with left leading but that right lead took me an hour and a half! Very begginner I know, but I've only had about ten hours of practice total. clap

Now...to start BTB....

Love All, Trust Few, Do Harm To None.

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Nice going!

Took me forever to do btb stuff.

Delete

JayKitty
GOLD Member since Nov 2004

JayKitty

Mission: Ignition

Total posts: 534
Posted:Yay! I just did my first uber loop and omg are they addictive.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Delete

Wraith_Dividend
SILVER Member since Mar 2009

Wraith_Dividend

Bunny Bane

Total posts: 205
Posted:ghad loops piss me off majorly....even more than BTB weaves which make my back hurt due to bruises

how the hell (aston/MNS) do you do BTB? i watch all kinds of vids and read everything i can aout them but for the life of me i just keep hittin me or the poi hit each other

PS: could this just be the tails? (relation to other topic)

if life is for love then to love is to live
-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
and i while typing this im just itching to get back to my toast
-
YAY TTTTOOOOAAAASSSSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
-
oh and by the way you just lost the game

Delete

aston

aston

Posted:Well, I started with one. If you are spinning backwards, instead of crossing in front of you, you can cross behind you. Going backwards means it will be coming at you face, but you can use your other (empty) hand to ward that off, so hopefully saving a bruise or two. You can follw pretty much the same steps used to learn it in front of you, except you cross behind you back. Sounds a bit trivial I guess, but it really is that simple.

The other thing that helps is to keep the poi spinning in one plane and to rotate yourself into it. Nick Woolsey covers this in one of his tutorials and it is a good way to get used to it.

Otherwise, find soft poi and take the hits. After a while they hit less.

The tails may be part of it, but it depends on what is catching where.

Also, you might want to stretch before this, since most people do not have much range of motion behind them. Also, because of this, it may take you time to get the required flexibility to get your hand all the way around your back.

Hope that that helps.

Delete

Posted:been poiing about a month now, just started practicing the 3 beat weave 2 days ago, and got it down yesterday while waiting for the bus. hmm, what to learn next...=P

Delete

Wraith_Dividend
SILVER Member since Mar 2009

Wraith_Dividend

Bunny Bane

Total posts: 205
Posted:i realise that i posted my last post on the wrong topic

SO to make up for it i managed to learn the 5 beat weave forwards last night grin
it's still a bit sloppy and its easier with my socks. but nonetheless i am feeling very good about it smile

if life is for love then to love is to live
-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
and i while typing this im just itching to get back to my toast
-
YAY TTTTOOOOAAAASSSSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
-
oh and by the way you just lost the game

Delete