Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
I`m desperete!
Ivè bin trying and trying and you guys and girls at home of poi are my last hope. Is it anyone here that can turn from btb weave forwards and backwards but not moving your feets and make a turn between your legs both on the back and on the front of you. It`s a lite bit trycky to explaine what I mean but it would be so neat to do that one biggrin
//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

Newgabe: Ive seen that somewhere before wink

Indeed I did a bit of light editing and self discipline about what thread to post things!
Congrats on your new move!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
yay at the manchester meet i learned the 3btb, the isolation thing when they roll in fron of you and also managed to go 2 metres on a unicycle biggrin

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
i learned high turn and low turn the other day. i was so chuffed biggrin

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

inpsydoutBRONZE Member
57 posts

Posted:
got the antispin weave forwards and backwards, also managed to do an inside-out 4beat hyperloop biggrin

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Dunno which thread this belongs to so i'm gonna put it on all of them. 2 hrs ago I managed to Stafapoiggle...
3 aerotech globalls in a cascade
2 aerotech meteors in reverse split-time butterfly
and 1 aerotech staff
ALL at the same time!!! yayyy w00t Pictures soon to be available

also 3 beat weave and mikes mess juggling.
Sorry got carried away but I'm ll chuffed spank weavesmiley juggle
biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
yay, my isolations are looking like isolations, not half hearted swings
whoohoo

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
probably not that impressive but i just learned the 5 beat weave! i'm excited at least!

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
double whip catches, atomic buzzsaw and i *think* atomic weave. also lots and lots of flowers to work on thanks to Nick.

God bless uberpoi ubblove

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

ViolaBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
So, I started learning poi about 2 weeks ago.
I have been working very hard to learn poi correctly since I don't have anyone to teach me here.
Within the first week I had all the butterfly moves down.
But what I am most happy with is that last night I managed to finally figure out the weave. It's not pretty, but I can do it. Now I'll just work on getting it to flow more smoothly.

All I know is that after whacking myself in the head about a million times, the first time I got that weave together was just one of the most amazing moments. It's a wonder what you can teach yourself if you just put your mind to it wink

asphyxiastranger
13 posts

Posted:
last night i learned TTN...FINALLY!!! It always looked like it shouldn't have been that difficult...

*jumps around like an oompa loompa on speed*

Yay!

Amor Vincit Omnia

kepki2003Member
34 posts

Posted:
Try 5 beat isolated weave (forward and reverse) into horzontal airwrap combination, into btb5beat weave.

Spin More Poi!!!

StellaPigBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hello you fine folk. I've been an occasional lurker around here for awhile, but I just had to tell someone that I did my first (somewhat sloppy) hyperloop yesterday! Followed by a hundred more attempts, maybe 25 of which did not end in a tangled mess. But at least now I know it's really possible, and not an elaborate ruse. smile

Firefly )O(BRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Well this is what I have within the last week.... I have learned how to do a double elbow/shoulder wrap or doing a leg/crotch wrap with one poi and doing an elbow wrap with the other. I finally got the reverse three beat wave...that was a tricky one for me...{still has bruises} and the one that had me jumping up and down with joy was doing the butterfly with one hand. Ohh...and I accidently did a move that was a cross over between a butterfly and a corkscrew...{I don't know what it is called, but I am sure it has a name.} I have also been playing with tangles, but nothing too interesting yet ...except the pretty shades of blue on my arms and legs smile clap

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
okey dokey, after practising a LOT today, i got some new moves! hurrah!

1. A negative space whipcatch entry.
2. Atomic long arm carries (almost continuous).
3. Isolated atomic buzzsaw.
4. Atomic buzzsaw weave.

Me loves atomics ubblove

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
I have been playing with some pedulums, got a nice round-the-head combo going. I now have to work out all the amazing stuff people were doing at Falmouth!

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

asakuranewbie
13 posts

Posted:
got bored the other day and cleaned up some flowers. got my forward and reverse flowers clean as well as better buzzsaw flowers. then finally got the antispin flower or w/e its called (poi going forward arms moving backward) then i got a few butterfly flowers which look pretty good. hooray, now to do them in buzzsaw
EDITED_BY: asakura (1122434394)

Peace Love Unity Respect, teaching everyone in the community love...

LouchGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
Not sure if this move has a name for it that I don't know, but within the last week I've figured out how to juggle poi while having them spin. I can only do two at the moment with having at least one always in the air but If I can come up with a third similary weighted poi I might, in a few months, be able to juggle three. And it rarely ever lands on my face!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
right, ive learned alot. i think ive generally been getting much more fluid.

but also at falmouth i learned butterfly barrel roll thingys acroos your body... which are pretty fun, i been playing with a few variations on those themse too.

rob showed me loads of negative space stuff hug not sure if ive got it learned yet, but theres defiently a seed sown.

i remember one morning getting up for and meeting simian and doing this crazy waistwrap thing, where my hand would cross over my body one behond and one infornt at the same time, smile

im sure there were loads of other littlke revealtions i had at falmouth, defietly something in the air there...

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
oli care to explain what negitive space is?
if not in type in words in teh car to play?

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Ive fianlly got 5 bt fowards weave both sides and a forwards btb weave, 2 things of my list! next wasitwraps and flowers

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Yay! I can do a buzzsaw isolation, and the more I do it the longer I can do it for! And now my flowers dont look like they were drawn by a pre schooler!

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Yay! Have suddenly had a giant breakthrough! It turns out many of my problems were down to my pois being too heavy for me - I've made some lighter ones and so much stuff i'd been having huge problems with has just clicked. Yay!

to live at all is miracle enough

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
after spending the weekend at the lovely Womad festival i have cleaned up my antispin weave flowers and turns and will hopefully have them almost perfect before shambala and Play.

Nothing else to report at the moment.

Spamenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
New move for me smile

The wall plane weave 7b

Spame
EDITED_BY: Spame (1122978230)

gothic_fire_angelnewbie
1 post

Posted:
i went to a music festival called womad dis weekend. loadz of people do poi's there. my best mate spoke to this lady and asked the woman to show my mate a move. the woman did, but melz couldn't do it. i had watched and kept tryin and tryin and woz the first out of me, demelza and becky to learn it, even tho demelza is da best out of us. i think the move is called the weave. it was really hard to do at first but now i can do it, EXTREMELY fast!
i even did the move wivout no help or any instructions from this site!!!!!
its a gud move once u can do it weavesmiley
lv sian

I'm the Poi Girl from Cornwall

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Wonderful description, do you think you could elaborate on the move a tiny bit more. I can't quite figure which one you mean wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Stop taunting the Cornish Dunc! tongue

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ubbangel

Southern Softies! tongue

Let's relight this forum ubblove

asakuranewbie
13 posts

Posted:
got a clean butterfly fountain, i like it, looks good

Peace Love Unity Respect, teaching everyone in the community love...

Page: ......