• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
Total posts: 2280
Posted:I've been learning handle changes with glowsticks. SUPER FUN grin Although I hate those counter-weighted throws.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

brenonfire413
brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch
Total posts: 514
Posted:Under the leg windmill
Btb buzzsaw turns improving
As are btb 3bt turns
switching the poi between hands is pure gold

However the btb crossers is proving to be my Stalingrad: the time and physical toll far exceeding previous notions. I've pulled muscles and chipped a friggin' tooth because of that move. I've learned dozens more moves or variations of existing patterns in that time and still success in that one area is being achieved at such a high price.

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I love btb crossers!!! When you get that you should learn btb crosser meltdown. You should probably learn crosser meltdown first.

Still getting better at straightjackets, hopefully I'll get the meltdown that I do with crossers with straghtjackets.

Delete

brenonfire413
brenonfire413

Fire Spinner Exarch
Total posts: 514
Posted:I can do them now for a few beats on each side but either have to transition or will most likely hit myself on the calves. I'm not yet to the point where it can be sustained much longer. It is definitely a lesson in patience!

"Are you sure it's safe to drink bleach?"
"Yes, bleach is 90% water, we are 90% water, therefore: we are bleach."
-Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse

Delete

JoshDG
Total posts: 49
Posted:Originally Posted By: Atrum basically, right foreward, left backward, and you weave just like you would a normale foreward 3 beat.. if anyone wants i can dig up a camera and post a video up on youtube..

Ummm yes please! I'm intrigued beyond beleif...belief... :S Eugh I'm tired. I can't seem to picture what the hell is going on in that description but that's just me lol.

Delete

Midkiff
shadow stranger
Total posts: 462
Posted:and after you learn the butterfly weave you can also do a butterfly fountain type thing thats on wall plane

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

Fco. Martinez Fd
Fco. Martinez Fd

More Fire !!! aqui en Costa Rica Pura Vida
Total posts: 4
Posted:I have several problems to learn the 5 wave move --- I really like to watch Yuta's videos online... I would like to know if I need to wait in order to learn from those videos??

Jose Francisco Martinez Fdez.
San Jose, Costa Rica

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Can you do a 3 beat weave? Because if so you can do a five.

And no, you do not need to wait to learn from Yuta. Just remember to keep on working on the basics of plane-control as you do.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

MusicalTNT
MusicalTNT

Womp Womp Womp
Total posts: 14
Posted:Just got my flowlights this past weekend, and started basic spinning stuff.

I can now...spin grin

~I am makes muzaks~

Delete

1020benny
1020benny

Southern Spinner
Total posts: 13
Posted:i love hugs. ::))

-I'm so Psily ::))

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Total posts: 161
Posted:This thread is seriously deceptive... "Beginner Poi" ... Lies, all lies tongue2

I'm still really new to poi, have been spinning for a whole 5 weeks... So my "new move" is thread the needle grin I almost squeeked when I got it right without them getting tangled *blushes*

Delete

Jameth
Jameth

enthusiast
Total posts: 378
Posted:Go Ash3s! TTN was a big step for me too. smile

You're right - most of the moves discussed in this thread are no where near beginner: it's been a while since HOP had a group of newbies and peeps have just kept on posting in here as they learned.

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Took me a lot longer than 5 weeks. wink

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:I just found out I can do an 8bt corkscrew laugh3

Delete

1020benny
1020benny

Southern Spinner
Total posts: 13
Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI've been learning handle changes with glowsticks. SUPER FUN grin Although I hate those counter-weighted throws.
i definitely want to learn more handles. I've dabbled, but i've seen some people make it look amazing.

-I'm so Psily ::))

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Posted:*bounces in*

Ok... so this is a really simple move for the rest of you guys, but I finally got my head around (and I'm not sure if this is the right name for them) hip reels. Basically swinging them together forward & behind. Ya, I know... really simple, BUT I'm stoked I can finally do them grin Yay! grin

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Reels really open up a lot of movement possibilities. Just btw. wink

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Yeah I still use reels. Hip reels can look very badass. What I like to do is do an extension with bot poi together and when they get to my hip I do a reel and then an extra beat just with them at my sides and start whirling with my poi together or do like a half extension and use antispin to wrap my poi. It's simple, but it's so fun and looks so cool I love it grin Explore hip reels my friend there's more to do than you could think of.

Delete

MusicalTNT
MusicalTNT

Womp Womp Womp
Total posts: 14
Posted:Butterfly and three beat weave down in under a week. Yay grin

~I am makes muzaks~

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Posted:Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitYeah I still use reels. Hip reels can look very badass. What I like to do is do an extension with bot poi together and when they get to my hip I do a reel and then an extra beat just with them at my sides and start whirling with my poi together or do like a half extension and use antispin to wrap my poi. It's simple, but it's so fun and looks so cool I love it grin Explore hip reels my friend there's more to do than you could think of.

Say what?
Ok... Imma gonna try wrap my brain around that one and give it a try...
Reels are a weird one for me... I can do them hundreds going one direction, but try opposite and my brain says "sorry for you". But they feel amazing when they happen smoothly. grin

Originally Posted By: MusicalTNTButterfly and three beat weave down in under a week. Yay grin
Nice! Well done dude grin That's awesome grin I have a bit of a brain flop when it comes to the 3 beat weave... It's such a simple and beautiful move, but the brain to hand connection doesn't always work so well with me tongue2 I'll get there though smile

Delete

Midkiff
shadow stranger
Total posts: 462
Posted:i learned how to use throws for direction changes from either using hand swaps or turning before i catch it smile

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Originally Posted By: Ash3sSay what?
Reels are a weird one for me... I can do them hundreds going one direction, but try opposite and my brain says "sorry for you". But they feel amazing when they happen smoothly. grin

Do work on both ways, it helps. smile

Delete

Smurf24029
Smurf24029

Poi Master Smurf
Total posts: 343
Posted:Originally Posted By: astonOriginally Posted By: Ash3sSay what?

Do work on both ways, it helps. smile

I agree with this 110% I didn't realize I was learning reels when I was. I just thought of it as learning to turn in every direction smoothly, no matter what the poi orientation. Its a great help to free movement and being comfortable with all the space around you while moving.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Posted:It's so bizarre, but going the one direction (right to left) is completely comfortable and the other direction is just uncomfortable. I can do it now, thank goodness, but it's still uncomfortable.

I think that is my biggest downfall, I get into a comfort zone with certain moves and directions, and as a result end up neglecting other things that I've learned. But I'm getting there smile You Tube is a great source of inspiration.

I was looking through the tutorial videos, seeing what I can and can't do as yet... I totally have "moon chasing sun" down grin Yeah, yeah I'm still in the beginners section tongue2

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Posted:It's been an exciting couple of weeks for me in terms of learning new moves. I am slowly starting to get the concept of poi and understand how they move.

So here's the ones I've managed to get to grips with this week:

3 Beat Weave! Forwards, not backwards... I know, every move must be learned forwards, backwards, inside out, back to front, up, down, sideways... Yes, I know... Baby steps tongue2
Hip Reels - Left to right and right to left & sorta split... my timing is a bit wonky.
Shoulder/Hip Reels
Reel Turns
Buzzsaw - still new for me, but I've got the basic move down, now I just need to refine it.
Alternative Take Outs from Forwards Butterfly

I can also do other funny little things that we do at class, but I have no idea if they have names and what their names would be. grin

Delete

thirteen
thirteen

The Death Card
Total posts: 195
Posted:reels! so much fun. working on perfecting mine in all directions, and then integrating turns/whirling. as far as performance goes, I am still more impressed by very fluid whirling reels than I am by much more complicated and technical stuff; they just look so beautiful.

anyway, I just figured out downward stalls today. so happy. still need to practice, but getting the poi to stop dead in its tracks for the first time was a great feeling - no more wobbly stalls!

edit: f yeah I just got the 4-beat corkscrew down too!!! and I'm this close to the 5-beat weave as a result. today is a good day for poi!

edit 2: and today I was messing around with stalls at work and just did my first isolation. can only do it for a few beats right now, so it obviously needs practice but damned if I am not having a good week for poi.

EDITED_BY: thirteen (1299714456)

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Posted:Wow thirteen, you are styling! grin Well done! grin
I've finally got the hang of a backwards TTN and have a butterfly turn down, but need to polish it a tad. It's a bit wobbly still.

Turning is tricky for me because I don't have the backwards stuff down, but I'll get there smile

Delete

thirteen
thirteen

The Death Card
Total posts: 195
Posted:thanks! and congrats to you, butterflies are so hard for me. still haven't got them down. backwards ttn is quite the accomplishment.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

Delete

aston
aston

Posted:Ash: Actually, I know a couple people who learned backwards weaves by just turning around and letting the momentum of the poi do the rest. Just as an aside.

Thirteen: Nice work. smile
I find isolations are something I lose if I do not do them for a while. Due to lack of spinnage in the last few weeks, they have gone downhill. Need to fix that. smile

Delete

Ash3s
Ash3s

Posted:aston: Wednesday is the perfect time for you to practice isolations tongue2

thirteen: How are you doing with isolations? I had a look at them on the tutorial videos and can't quite get my brain wrapped around them just yet.

As for me, thanks to aston's advice and Derek's tutorial videos I've got (or at least I think I have) backwards 3bt weaves down grin I can also turn using it, which is miraculous for me! So great excitement all over grin

I'm half practicing stalls, but am completely useless at them, to the point that I actually wonder if I need a certain kind of poi for them, that's how useless I am tongue2

Delete