Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...6566676869...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

Leif
Leif

Total posts: 56
Posted:A double pinwheel (buzzsaw) wrap! Enter from a five beat. Just make sure when the wrap switches back to the oposite arm you give enough room to pull the poi between the arms. It does not seem that you can reel this move until you get to the second stage, which is a regular pinwheel (buzzsaw) wrap.

Man that one felt good to find!

What else can I say? TamingFire.Com

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Forget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
Total posts: 632
Posted:Whoo! I just nailed a basic Hyperloop, rev ttn and a butterfly weave, but that btb ww is an absolute git. i've nailed reverse 4 beat windwill, and improved my btb butterfly stuff, but stil can't get the one trick I've been wanting to do all summer! aaargh!

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Posted:Finally! After the entire Summer, I finally managed to spin a full waist wrap! *dances happily* I also improved by Butterfly weave, my hyperloops and can now do a rather nice isolated reverse buzzsaw too.

I also managed a couple of cycles of a 7 beat weave, but its ugly and my elbows hurt when I try, so I doubt I'll be doing that one much.

I've got lots of time in the evenings, so poi's been the best way to make the evenings go by. I'm not addicted or anything... honest!>,<

Next tricks to do, 3 beat forwards btb weave , 5 beat btb weave, flowers (which I still can't do), maybe learn some more reels, and after that... some more wraps, some more stalls, and then, get on with learning some more techy stuff.

Delete

TiffX
Total posts: 76
Posted:I learnt hoe to do the 3 beat weave yesterday morning, i havnt been spinning for very long so i proud of myself!

Peace xxx

Pass the dutchie on the left hand side!

Delete

Julie2022
Julie2022

Total posts: 145
Posted:Sweet - I finally can do a reverse mexican wave and alternating butterfly without killing myself!

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

Delete

Suibom
Suibom

addict
Total posts: 577
Posted:Progressing well.. need to do a new vid. This week I got buzzsaws, isolations (mostly) and one handed weave down. Workin on fluidity and general spacial/trajectory awareness. Still having absolutely no luck with btb weaves (btb in general provides me with plenty frustrations).

Sadly, the two poi I've actually bought have largely been crap and provided their own frustrations. My homemade sock poi has been great and I'm workin to create my own "perfect sock glow poi" smile. Just need to find good sock material..

Progression is fun! Thanks to all the HoPers out there that help others out.
smile

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3099
Posted:i just got btb weave and i've sort of got 7,8,9 and more beat weaves but i really just cheat and use a hyperloop in middle. also i've got some sort of turning weave thingy switching between revers and forwards weave. and i think a sort of 1 handed weave which i've been able to do for a while but never knew it was really a move till i read the post above.

i know it's not all that impressive but considering i do staff and only touched poi like 2 months ago i'm content with it

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:just now i learnt split time long arm butterfly 180s and 360s, one of those simple things ive never been able to do

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:Yoni - Adding a hyperloop to a weave isn't adding more beats. It's a transition from weave to Hyperloop. With a weave, you cross your hands as you move across your body with the poi. A hyperloop, however, you have your hands apart and go through buzzsaw plane as they are tangled. Not adding extra beats to a weave. If you mean airwrap, that's another thing totally as well, not a hyperloop. Again, technically not adding more beats, but simply adding an airwrap into a weave. I think you're getting confused with your terminology here. Weaves do not involve separations.

Also, if you've only just learnt two thirds of a fountain, I highly doubt that you have a nine, or even a seven beat weave, for that matter. Sorry to piss on your bonfire.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:nahh it's cool
i need to be corrected cos my terminolgy.
i wasn't exactly sure but i was doing a 5 bt weave then doing a hyperloop that was about 4 beats so just added them up as it were
altho my hyperloops are allot better now and i can keep em going for quite a while

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Delete

animatEd
animatEd

1 + 1 = 3
Total posts: 3540
Posted:By the sounds of it, you also need to learn how to count beats... There's a thread somewhere that'll help you out...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:lol i was judging the weave cos someone told me thats how many it was but i'm not sure bout the hyperloop

Delete

SeGee

Total posts: 12
Posted:Managed 4beat weave today.. but cant get the 5th.. which side does the hand do the 5th? the one that he opposite side / the same side weavesmiley
EDITED_BY: SeGee (1126968495)

Delete

mtbeer
mtbeer

ARRRR!
Total posts: 529
Posted:Edit: moving this to a new thread... Whatchacallit Hyperloop

Got a few new moves sorted out:

4bt. TTN sametime

straitjacket turns

double neckwraps with fire

some bizarre crosser weave turns

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Delete

Drudwyn
Drudwyn

Posted:It's flower power!

Cracked lots more flowers all in split time same direction or in split time opposite direction, and I've been working them into my spins all weekend! The waistwrap is proving to be a bugger to work in, but it's damn easy to spin out of!

Delete

_Poiboy_
_Poiboy_

bastard child of satan
Total posts: 1113
Posted:finally nailed BTB airwrap and also split time double BTL release catch on the other side (180 deg. turn)

Delete

BoomShankar
BoomShankar

Total posts: 95
Posted:continous split time butterfly hyperloop of the isolated variety, bout time too smile

progger

Delete

Dixie
Dixie

old hand
Total posts: 740
Posted:Reverse isolated hyperloops. And loving it.

Important Notice.
Can be found elsewhere.

This signiture has malfunctioned and can currently display no information. This matter will be rectified shortly.

Delete

jesusofsuburbia
Total posts: 27
Posted:just learned how to do a simple butterfly to weave wrist wrap then instantly got the spiral wrap and put together a nice 8 beat wrist to foot to shoulder to weave combo im now in love with wraps

Delete

screech
screech

circling on the edge of madness
Total posts: 889
Posted:happy to get thread the needle in outwards/reverse butterfly i learnt it forwards months ago but kept getting confused going the other way
bounce clap bounce2

finland finland finland
the country where i want to be
pony trekking or camping
or just watching tv

Delete

Suibom
Suibom

addict
Posted:Bwahahahhah.. just cracked the BTB 3bt weave.. yeehaaww..

I'm a happy poi-son...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Delete

Rada
Total posts: 42
Posted:congrats to everyone who has posted before me. It feels good to have a new trick to use.

I finally figured out the 5 beat reverse weave. I learned forward 5 beats long ago, but for some reason i couldnt get the reverse. I can also do a full 2 cycles of 5 beat BTB reverse weave. getting closer.

HORRAY ME.
Rada

Delete

fNi
fNi

master of disaster
Total posts: 3354
Posted:one handed butterfly-double leg wrap-reverse one handed butterfly-double leg wrap- back to start

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Delete

Seaweed_Sprite
Seaweed_Sprite

Total posts: 34
Posted:Mine is probably nothing in comparison. But in the last week I learned the 3 beat wave, butterfly, giant butterfly, corkscrew, a cool twisty behind the back one (don't know what its called), a turn thing....and some other random stuff. and that's pretty good for me (atleast I think biggrin )

But on the other hand, you have different fingers

Delete

Rada
Total posts: 42
Posted:^ gotta start somewhere, those are great tricks. can you do a 3 beat reverse? knowing both forward and reverse enables you to make turns while doing weaves. good luck.

Delete

Dylmts
Dylmts

Total posts: 5
Posted:Hello y'all! Just realised I signed up here ages ago and now I actually know a few moves! I've got to spin in front of real human people in feb so I'm a bit nervous about that but it should all be fine.

Anyway back to my reason for getting up and posting at three am, I had this idea bout doing a through-the-legs butterfly and then rolling over whilst continueing to spin. Has anyone done this, is it even possible? It would be good to know.

I finally cracked some decent reels today and something crazy with a butterfly but I have no idea what it's called! It went over my shoulders and behind my back and all over the shop. Anyways as soon as the sun comes up, I'm giving the 5-beat weave a chance. Anyone got any extra elbows?

Tom

Bugs Duggan

Delete

Seaweed_Sprite
Seaweed_Sprite

Total posts: 34
Posted:I've been working on the reverse one, but it's not really happening for me yet. I just started to pick up the behind the back stuff, and I'm starting to get a little better. I'll have it pegged in no time smile

But on the other hand, you have different fingers

Delete

Seraphire
Seraphire

HoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
Total posts: 270
Posted:I got forwards and reverse 4 beat!! and btb 3 beat (Note Avatar)^^ with outside isolations...and btb thread the needle...major jam session!!! I got a corckscrew with something like the 4-beat wrist movements in it..top and bottomand some weird reverse thread the needle with inside and cross isolations...looks weird..but all is well!!! (From the looks of previous posts we're all learning everything at once.)^^

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

Delete

KittyCatastrophe
KittyCatastrophe

Total posts: 7
Posted:Trying to get the hang of the btb weave right now.....i just need to learn how to dislocate my shoulders & i should be fine....

To err is human
To purr is cat

xx

Delete

Suibom
Suibom

addict
Posted:Written by: KittyCatastrophe

Trying to get the hang of the btb weave right now.....i just need to learn how to dislocate my shoulders & i should be fine....

Hahah.. yeah, it's a pain in the arse.. I still consistently clip my calves or elbows frown (bad planes, poor sense of motion behind me). I couldn't even come close to getting the weave until I extended the length of my poi a bit and added finger straps for holding (I use sock poi). Now I can get one weave (3bt each side) before they lose momentum.. Fun as always tho..

Delete

Page: 1...6566676869...117