• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Total posts: 60
Posted:HEllo fellow peoplesCan someone plese tell me how poi is pronouced? is it said like:"pw-ar""p- oi""po"or am I totally wrong? I keep hearing people say it diffrently... hmmm.Can someone please help me with my verbal difficulties?? I feel dumb!!
Non-Https Image Link
Thankyou all!KRISSY
Non-Https Image Link

Froggie ... Ribbit !!!
Total posts: 4224
Posted:Hi Golden krispyIn French if you prononce the word POI the French way, it'd mean "pea" as in (beans, potatoes and peas"... which in my opinion isn't really nice. So the few french I know tend to want to write it POY in order to have the correct pronounciation.All the people (english speaking I that is) I heard used POI pronounced as POY (like "boy"). Only the Spanish say "Cariocas" instead of poi... maybe because the word poi is close to another one which is "poya" and means eeer well... "penis" actually. :)shine onCassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

HOP admin
Total posts: 984
Posted:GoldenKrispy,Cassandra is right.Pronounced like "Toy", "Boy" likes "Poi"(ie Poy)With regard to Spanish meaning in the Maori poi book it says that 'Poi can be used as a representation of a number of items and beliefs One being of the penis or ovaries and fallopian tubes. Poi dancing had been used in the past to attract a partner. 'RegardsMalcolm

"May your balls always burn"

Rick aka Loki
Rick aka Loki

Total posts: 134
Posted:Heck, Poi dancing is used NOW to attract a partner.
Non-Https Image Link

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp