• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...5859606162...117
flash fire
BRONZE Member since Jan 2001

flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal

Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

pup_on_fire

pup_on_fire

Total posts: 1
Posted:oooooh yea.... when i picked up the poi swings for the first time 1 week ago by fluke at a friends... I had no idea it would envelop me soooo much! It was as if I knew how to do it right away.. I've still had to learn the tricks by looking up stuff on here, but I just absolutely love it. Today, after a few knocks in the head, arm, and...well...valuables, I finally got the alternate butterfly down, and am on my way to the Mexican weave! Oh yea! haha - glad i found this sight, thanks for the tips on moves!
pup on fire
(bryan)

peace, love, light, two spirits.

Delete

Trippie Hippie
BRONZE Member since May 2002

Trippie Hippie

old hand

Total posts: 733
Posted:Well as all i seem to do now is poi, and my staff is being left to gather dust in a corner, i figured that i should start posting in here so heres the first....... (Of many i hope!!)

BTB Butterfly hip reel (I think!) - Thanks Pink....? hug
Loads of love
Taking it easy
Trippie

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

Delete

.:star:.
SILVER Member since Jan 2005

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:BTB butterfly waist wrap bounce

Thank you thank you thank you fluffy for giving me some pointers on sunday...it all sundenly clicked into place!

bounce

Delete

inpsydout
BRONZE Member since Oct 2004

Total posts: 57
Posted:Got a six beat hyperloop down and a a couple of eight beats are so nearly there smile smile smile

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

Delete

mtbeer
GOLD Member since Aug 2004

mtbeer

ARRRR!

Total posts: 529
Posted:Grrr, I'm envious inpsydout... I can get the 2 and 4 beat hyperloops somewhat consistently but 6 and 8 are out there. I think I need different chains or something.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

Delete

inpsydout
BRONZE Member since Oct 2004

Total posts: 57
Posted:i havent had a chance to try it with chains yet, just socks (cheating a bit i know) although the knots still slip and slide all over them.

i cdnoult blveiee taht i cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht i was rdanieg!

Delete

Beth

Beth

Miss Whippy

Total posts: 1262
Posted:Whip catches with fire... i may be insane but it works and looks wicked!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Total posts: 1376
Posted:Thanks to a week in the sun in Tunisia I can now do suicides and genocides (most of the time) starting same direction and usually get them going opposite direction.

Turning same direction BTB waist wraps.

A proper (i.e. three circles and a carry) BF BTB waist wrap finally.

Isolating tangles under and over my arm both sides and both directions.

Dodgy underarm BF hyperloops.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

infinite

infinite

Total posts: 110
Posted:Double forearm stall from the butterfly corkscrew, butterfly corkscew more then bounce wrap off of waist to overhead TTN. Corkscrew butterfly TTN. Same move can be done in buzzsaw plane.

IM close to doing two butterfly hyperloops and then inverting tehm over my shoulder sothey stay tangled, or untangling the butterfly hyperloop behind my head. I have perfected the Behind teh head airwrap that is at the end of The chicago glowsticking video, I ahve also perfected spirals with fire and am learning the weave thru my legs turning. I can do allt eh tech stuff, need to work on my large body motions. I also learned the 5bt butterfly weave, and the double TTN where you reach over the top arm again and still put the poi into the front plane so they dont hit, need to learn upside down , though I am recovering from dislocated elbow and cant straighten my arm all teh way.

I saw Forrest here in ashland, he was doing BTB thru the leg weave and then turn so poi are still behind back and then weave thru legs. Poi are in front of the body except for the turn behind the back and poi thru legs in fron again. Try to learn if you are bored, I need to learn the BTB weave thru legs, soon.
peace thanks for inspiring me everytime- I love HOP

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Posted:A mindgame thingy, and now I've got the knack I'll be having a play around with those smile

Delete

garthy
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

garthy

old hand

Total posts: 717
Posted:bounce At Last I'm getting Anti-spin turning flowers. biggrin

"**grumble*spuriouswindmills*grumble**" - Coleman
"if poi was only for girls there wouldnt be many good poi spinners...." - Nx

Delete

Psyri
SILVER Member since Apr 2003

Psyri

artisan

Total posts: 1576
Posted:in my attempt to bag btb reverse weave I have so far managed a 2beat which has satisfied me so far.....

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:cool

Im very, very close to learning buzzsaw isolations smile

Yes, Im that crap smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

Posted:I just learned a butterfly neckwrap (not sure if there's a more legitimate name for it though). Now on to the btb weaves (so far, their status is "grr")!

############
#steal this sig!#
############

Delete

Psyri

Psyri

artisan

Posted:my btb revrse is happening NOW! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY!

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:lots of lovely offset tempo things ubblove

an inverted weave where only one beat is outside.

isolated fountain (edit: this is an actual isolated fountain - i.e. no buzzsaw, all beats are outside arms) is getting more 'round' and isolated waistwraps are looking more tidy (isolated carries still go really wonky though).

uberpoi... biggrin bounce2 biggrin

cole. x

edit because i forgot to mention these bits: wallplane inversions with vertical exit, over the head airwraps (front-back) and a lovely same-time link between longarm vertical airwraps ubbrollsmile

EDITED_BY: coleman (1119279957)

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

spiralx

spiralx

veteran

Posted:Can usually do all 4 BTB same direction WWs now after a decent session on Saturday and turn and go in and out of them. Forwards BTB BF WWs are getting there, but still a bit wonky.

Delete

Dunc
GOLD Member since Aug 2003

Dunc

playing the days away

Total posts: 7263
Posted:Lots of throwiness....showers, cascades, pin wheel(staff throw while pass other to BTH thingie?) double throws and isolated double throws much nicer now too ubbrollsmile Starting to nail The Jesus more times than not and also found the best/easiest way to carry poi in the world ever when you don't have a bag/pockets which has accidentally and wonderfully lead onto something much more fun to play with biggrin

berpoi... biggrin bounce biggrin hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

oli
SILVER Member since Jul 2003

not with cactus

Total posts: 2052
Posted:Written by: coleman

uberpoi... biggrin bounce2 biggrin

Written by: Dunc
berpoi... biggrin bounce biggrin hug

scubapoi? ubblol rolleyes tongue

redface hug i just learnt some sort of corkscrew (at first and then i tilted my arms downhill..) inversion thing, i think, but i havnt learnt it very well. so im still confused and i cant do it back the otehr way yet becuase my poi dont like going uphil, they are a bit hefty or something... but biggrin weavesmiley

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Rev
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Rev

Bastard Newbie Messiah

Total posts: 1269
Posted:that's because you have to learn the old people trick and go dwnhill both ways.. wink

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Delete

tenticle

tenticle

enthusiast

Total posts: 275
Posted:Stuff poi, a biro's way more fun.

But anyway, drunken poi. and monkey poi. drunken poi is suspiciously easier when sober, which is why i never really got it before...
and some nice stuff where you let the poi wrap in such a way that the strings hold themselves onto your wrists by warping over themselves
and some interesting combinations of exactly which poi goes under which leg from what direction when and who's leg it comes out from under again.

--ben

Delete

Rev
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Rev

Bastard Newbie Messiah

Total posts: 1269
Posted:Written by: tenticle

and some interesting combinations of exactly which poi goes under which leg from what direction when and who's leg it comes out from under again.

who's leg it comes out from under? dude that is the most impressive utl trick I've ever heard.. you gotta teach me how to go under my leg and exit out someone else's.. wink hug

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Delete

duballstar
SILVER Member since Sep 2003

duballstar

slack rating - 9.5

Total posts: 2216
Posted:eek cole's been spinning poi?!!? must be some strange ubervoodoo goin on... wink

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Delete

Hanz

Hanz

veteran

Total posts: 1328
Posted:hmm... havent updated this yet...

Since Christmas I have also been trying to get the Overhead butterfly, and I think I finally have it... just need someone to check it for me biggrin

Man, I feel like such a newbie to this, but it still feels amazing learning these (what some people find, but I dont) easy moves

Delete

SILVER Member since Jan 2005

Pooh-Bah

Total posts: 1785
Posted:woo hoo!
All sorts of BTB goodnesss - waistwraps, butterfly variations etc
bounce
my arms are so achey

Delete

coleman
SILVER Member since Aug 2002

coleman

big and good and broken

Total posts: 7330
Posted:i made some new poi yesterday - ones that i can throw smile

last night i learnt:

2 poi shower (half spin)

2 poi shower (single spin)

a sketchy 1up pirouette (poi clockwise in wallplane, throw right poi under left arm as a double, carry left poi through a 360 and catch right poi again).

and for my friend nyc there is this: tongue

juggle weavesmiley juggle

i knew i'd get to post juggling moves in here again one day man... devil wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Psyri

Psyri

artisan

Posted:I have just bagged the butterfly weave n variations YEY! So yeah things are looking good, I havent had a learning curve like this in a while

Delete

Posted:Yay!! BTB weave - 2 and 3 beat!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

My sincerest thanks to Norma from the Glasgow Juggling Club who had the patience to take me through the steps.

What's next?

biggrin

Delete

Jil
SILVER Member since Jun 2005

Jil

Total posts: 32
Posted:Because I'm a complete noob to poi *yes yes another witles convert* I'm happy that I have just managed to get the basic weave. without thumping myself in the head.

Trying ohsohard to get the reverse weave but failing miserably. *sigh*

Delete

tainted

tainted

addict

Total posts: 422
Posted:Ok was abit slow in getting this but im soooooooo proud ive just got the one handed butterfly in both hands biggrin

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

Delete

Page: 1...5859606162...117