Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > The Official HOP "I just learned a new move" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...3233343536...117
flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:This space is for all those funksters busy improving their technique by learning new moves - made-up or traditional.

Tell us all about it! We love hearing about our fellow poiers/staffies/misc. toyers succeeding with new things biggrin

It's just hard to keep up with it all sometimes, so if we keep it together you'll be certain to get a little feedback.

here a pat on the back in advance from me

::flash enthusiastically pats your back::

biggrin

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete Topic

arashi
arashi

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2363
Posted:hey maybe we should cut and paste this juicy stuff to cole's thread, huh? i think it'd spur more conversation there...

something to remember is that going from clocwise btb front right wall plane to btb inside is basically NOT crossing over at all, just moving your hands. so there'd have to be a crossover somewhere to unwind your hands again... argh too many variations to explain! gotta go!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Delete

coleman
coleman

big and good and broken
Total posts: 7330
Posted:balls:

slowly getting hold of 615...

can now do (4)55613(4) from both sides.
managed to catch (4)5 561561 3(4) twice (starting on the right) which i'll be extending to (4)55 615615 613(4) as soon as possible.

633 is still killing me but i get 633633 most times now.

4b mills is thinking about being neat and tidy but ball number 2 on each side keeps deciding to hit the others.

10 catches of the sketchiest inverse 5b cascade in the world.

and i'm writing a 3b routine that i can't do umm

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Total posts: 1376
Posted:4 beat same-time butterfly weave and just about 5-beat split-time butterfly weave. "Forwards" anyway, need to work on backwards.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Total posts: 7263
Posted:not really sure how to describe it sooo I'll try my best.....

4bt semi isolated buzzsaw butterfly hyperloop

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Delete

elasta
elasta

addict
Total posts: 645
Posted:that's ridiculous Duncan, you're just putting a random collection of words together and pretending it comes out with an amazingly complex and great looking move!

"yes, well I can do a TTN one handed BTB isolated 13bt reverse weave whilst balanced on a juggling club" Only when this is true will I be truly impressed!

there's nothing quite as fulfilling as a tasty airwrap

if you're full of sh!t, at least you're fertile

"we are all flowers growing in God's garden... and that is why he spreads the sh!t around" - David Byrne

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:Bah, it's not as superior as my isolated inside BTB waist wrapped horizontal 360 degree buzzsaw turn I tell you!

Note... this is a real move and I've seen it done!

Delete

simian
simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
Total posts: 3149
Posted:that'd be our very own mr weasel, would it not? biggrin

today i did some:
stick: continuous wallplane elbow rolls
poi: normal and btb opposite direction crossers

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:Yup smile

Anyway, 4-beat BF weave both directions now. Now to get them split-time for proper 5bt BF weave craziness biggrin

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:Written by: elasta

that's ridiculous Duncan, you're just putting a random collection of words together and pretending it comes out with an amazingly complex and great looking move!

tongue actually it's just that I'm crap at explaining!! And I forgot to add "inverted" wink

It's almost like the butterfly split thingie move vid that rev just posted....only betterer (see I am crap at describing stuff!)

Maybe one day I'll be able afford a camera and actually learn to use my free web space so I can host the clips instead of craply describing them. Until then...I'll have to learn to be more desriptive. And besides, you know when you see it at BrizzleJC you'll be copying me tongue

Delete

ChuckS

Total posts: 24
Posted:Woo, Post number 1000, do I get a prize?

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:no, a smack for not writing about a new amove in the 1000th post spank tongue

Delete

ben-ja-men
ben-ja-men

just lost .... evil init
Total posts: 2474
Posted:i got the extended confusatron yay biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:So does that mean you're now finally gonna post that video of it Mr B? Huh huh??

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:id been saving a move for the 1000th post on here. missed it though. forgotton what the move was to.

this one will do. forewards buzzsaw hyperloop from right side, double wrist wrap on right side, spin 180 to right, double wrist wrap on right, spin 180 to right , unwind extra twist that seems to acumulate somewhere along the line, repeat, till everything gets too sketchy, then come untangled.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

rarr
rarr

rrragghh!
Total posts: 121
Posted:umm just learnt backward weave and turn... kinda illrelevent compared to the last post rolleyes

Delete

arashi
arashi

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 2363
Posted:the only difference between the two is that his infection is worse wink
there are no moves, only time

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Delete

rarr
rarr

rrragghh!
Posted:ah but I feel the infection growing.. only been doing it two days and yet I feel the urge to do it constantly

Delete

ben-ja-men
ben-ja-men

just lost .... evil init
Total posts: 2474
Posted:Written by: Custom Bug

So does that mean you're now finally gonna post that video of it Mr B? Huh huh??

nah ill get one of my evil robot minions to do it ..... when the finally work

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Delete

Bzrael
Bzrael

Total posts: 45
Posted:ok... I was messing around with a buzzsaw ( erm.. the move ) and I did somethin' Real Pretty. However I have no idea if it has a name or not.

basically its a very very simple move, you do a buzzsaw with your poi shortened and wrapped around your hand. then one hand unwraps the poi and swings on the outside, while the other hand is still spinning the shortened poi on the inside.
with fire or beaming poi, (from the side) it basically looks like one circle inside another.

Delete

rarr
rarr

rrragghh!
Posted:

the 5 beat forward weave is mine! woop

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:Some basic offset butterfly weaves, getting better at 4 and 5 beat butterfly weaves. And I'm actually getting better at BTB weaves and turning, something I've almost completely ignored since I was able to do them redface

Delete

nearly_all_gone
nearly_all_gone

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1626
Posted:Maybe small, but the Overhead Butterfly and the reverse weave can kiss my ass!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Delete

coleman
coleman

big and good and broken
Total posts: 7330
Posted:Written by: coleman
well on my way to the 423 variation i stole from matt hall.

sorted smile

its 423 but penguin catch the 4's and flourish the 2's.

juggle

Non-Https Image Link

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Delete

Dunc
Dunc

playing the days away
Posted:found a nice new combination by accident (as usual)

start with c/w butterfly, go into TTN to throw the right poi under the left arm into a wibble catch/throw on the right forearm, it flips straight up and into the path of the left poi for a quality whip catch straight back into your hands. Lovely smile

Delete

tenticle
tenticle

enthusiast
Total posts: 275
Posted:crossed planes weave. or something. you kind of start from a buzzsaw weave, and do hand movements like a ttn, and you end up with something that looks like a weave and a ttn at the same time, just squashed together, with the planes perpendicular. then you can weave this crossed plane thing around in 90 degree steps, and if you stop at the 45 degree bits you get regular weave and butterflys. you can move the planes inside your arms, do buzzsaw weave cross arm weirdness and airwraps that could be doing anything, to be honest, as i havn't got around to counting anything in detail. it even works behind the back.

there was a bunch of other stuff i found first, that i couldnt think of a sensible way to describe, things like what would be a btb waistwrap if it didn't go inside instead of behind the back, err.. and what would be a windmill if it wasn't really a watermill, and something that joined that to a watermill, looking suspiciously like what a waistwrap would look like head on, and then something a bit like the last one but in butterfly, then a watermill that you split into hip reels and then into watermill btb (possibly, might be a btb wall plane buzzsaw type thing instead), then a kind of buzzsaw done in wall plane only using two transitions from the buzzsaw fountain, where each poi only goes under the other arm and over its arm. then an opened up buzzsaw that turned into a ttn and then the crossed planes 90 degree weave thing.

if none of this makes any sense, sorry. if it does, whats it called?

-ben

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:I think you're talking about an atom weave... it's where the planes are perpendicular and it is a sort of cross between weave and TTN. I've been shown it a couple of times, but I could never remember quite how it goes wink

Delete

spiralx
spiralx

veteran
Posted:Although saying that your buzzsaw weave and turn 45 degrees advice was good, think I've remember how it goes biggrin

Delete

oli
not with cactus
Total posts: 2052
Posted:making your poi shorter or longer via hand wraps while in buzzsaw hyperloops. - easier than you might possibly think, give it a go.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Delete

Faberg
veteran
Total posts: 1459
Posted:bounce the reverse behind the back weave! yay!! bounce

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_