eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
anyone want to know how to a cartwheel on a staff? I can do one but i can't be bothered to type on an indepth description if no one wants to know. It's actually really easy!!!------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I'd like to know smile

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
as in using the staff to support your weight? confused

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah - I'm interested to know how you do it too...I've seen a few different variations.please tell us!Josh

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Psst! What's the secret? wink

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
wow what a tease grin

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
wow, i didn't anticipate such a response!!basically, you just put the stick under the armpit of the arm that you would normally put down first if you did a cartwheel. Grab that hand pnto the staff in front of you. Then place your other hand near the end of the staff in front of you. Next, you just stick the end on the ground an try and kick your legs over. Start of by doing it with your legs fairly horizontal and as you get more confident, bring your legs over properly vertical. If your lower hand is too high up, you might break the stick, so be careful, Its best when the flame of the staff is low, so you don't burn yourself. It looks better if you pop your body out in the end too.Hope this helps.------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I do a one handed cartwheel, without touching the staff to the ground..just thought I'd mention that.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Raving lunatic's cartwheel is the most common one I have seen.Simply practise doing a one-handed cartwheel until you feel confident with it.Then you can do a cartwheel holding the staff in the other hand, or even do a cartwheel over a grounded staff and pick it up (excellent for drops or for begginning a performance).Please don't try two handed cartwheels with metal staffs as you will bend them in the middle...Thats my 2 cents worth, its an easy skill to pick up and the crowds love it!Cheers------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to master the dropped staff pick up cartwheel recently but have been hampered by bad weather... . nay mind. It can't rain everyday... grin------------------C@ntus

Meh

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
another good dropped staff move is to put your foot under it, about 3/4 of the way to either side. pull STRAIGHT up with your leg and the staff will spin, allowing you to catch it on the 540 or 360 and walk away looking cool even when you drop your stick.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Charles or RavingLoony - can you describe where you put the staff when doing the cartwheel, and which hand you dont put down (leading or rear)?I always get tangled...Funnily enough - I can sometimes get it with poi, the extra length of the staff does me in.Josh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Damn...you got me Josh grinI can't actually do the cartwheel *blush*. But there are heaps of peeps in NZ who can. i've had lots of people explain it to me (hence my um..er..knowledge) and have watched them often but never quite got around to doing it... blushFor a non-pickup, they tend to hold the staff across their body or above their head and just cartwheel without changing grip. This way it never touches the ground. I've also seen some who keep horizontally across their waist (horizontal in relation to them, not the ground)The hand you don't put down is the hand you are most comfortable with doing one-handed cartwheels WITHOUT the staff. And remember to keep the other arm slight bent.A great idea i thought of was to try it holding an egg in your hand, if you feel comfortable without breaking the egg, then it stime to try with a staff...(I was hoping to get away with this without anyone actually asking me how "I" do it)Chalk up one for yourself, Josh!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
LOLthats cool dude, there are heaps of Gymnastics coaches out there who know a shitload more about doing loads of difficult technicques than most gymnasts, but cant actually do them.not being able to do it doesnt invalidate your advice IMHO. smileJosh

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
try doing normal cartwheels with the stiff in your mouth grin has to be a short one though!------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Er... I meant staff, not stiff. Although you could try that too. Would have to be a long one though...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
ummm...blackbird, is it reasonable to ask you to edit your post with the "st** in your mouth" bit...I know it's only a typo and funny at first but not necesarily appropriate for the board... grinBut aside from that, I don't see why the staff would have to be that short (unless you are continuing on with the pun winkFor a cartwheel with a 1.4m staff in the other hand, you can keep the staff horizontal to your body and above your head.This is because it completes a circle that is static in relation to your body. The staff doesn't spin in the middle, but merely begins a circle above the ground and passes close to the ground at the halfway point. It's basically travelling a circular path rather than spinning on an axis.At this point it is parallel to the ground and won't hit as long as it completes the rest of the circle in the same way it began.Does this make sense? One end of the staff is 'leading' the whole time and if you did the same motion without the cartwheel, your wrist would have done a complete 360 turn (ouch!).So if that can be done att the outermost point of a cartwheel (ie above the head), theres no reason except maybe jawstrength, as to why it can't be completed in the mouth. This would make it closer to the inside of the cartwheel, and clear the ground by more distance.The extreme example of this is mentioned above, holding the staff at your waist and doing a cartwheel, where the staff barely circles at all as it is on the very inside of the cartwheel. Another way to think about is in the same way as the inside strip of a record moves slower than the outside edge.So lets see some TOOTHGRABS (tm) at the 2003 convention!CheersCharles (INFERNO)www.juggling.co.nznewdolbel@hotmail.comPS thanks for inspiring another (albeit silly) term for my staff descriptions thread, [TOOTHGRAB!] would love to see more input from you on that thread too.PPS I just did a TOOTHGRAB with my practice staff here at work (no cartwheel yet though), it's ugly as hell, and needs a lot of work, but I DID IT!!!! (yay me).[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 19 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
Josh, the way I learned it was being extremely fried and drunk at a 4:20 party and being bored with my moves.so I decided to try a cartwheel.What I did was get the staff going in the basic frontwards figure8 motion in my right hand. I start from my right side, bring it across me as if doing another figure 8, but put my left hand down and do one handed cartwheel. The staff is then on my left side and doesn't get tangled in my legs. When I come around out of the cartwheel, I switch hands without missing a beat. grin I don't know if that is a good explanation or not, I hate trying to explain staff moves. it's in my competition video, you can see it there eventually.you can also do a slightly flashier version by doing the cartwheel then tossing the staff to your other hand as you come around, but I think it looks less smooth so I don't do that one.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
heeheehe :-)wow, how cool to see my new favourite move described by you, eyemonkey. I worked it out a few weeks ago, and it's sooo much fun. I used to do gymnastics as a kid, so things like cartwheels are pretty much already programmed into me. I was ecstatic when I realised this trick was possible. I'm trying to get my fitness back to that acrobatic level, and I think if/when I do, it should be possible to do walkovers etc in the same manner. Maybe that'd be easier with 2 staffs. Hmm, now I think of it, I wonder if handstands like this are possible? Would take a lot of balance, but it could work with practice. Charles - I have an aluminium staff, and if you do this move right, it doesn't bend. If you do it wrong though.....eeeek you need a new staff ;-) Personally I'd be more worried about wooden staffs snapping on me.have fun kids, (and don't impale yourself!)xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
I don't see how people are bending their staffs or breaking them..are they actually trying to support their weight on the staff?when I do it, the staff doesn't even touch the ground.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
my original post was for a cartwheel in which you actually use the staff to support your weight as you go over.I didn't mean a cartwheel with the staff in your hand and not touching the floor, i meant a cartwheel on the staff.hope this clears things up.------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Xaeda - Does "doing the move right" mean not putting much of your weight on the staff?If not, could we have a small description?I'm paranoid about bending my staffs, as I tend to do it almost as often as I light up, and it makes some of the faster moves more dangerous and the fireballs much smaller.So don't listen when I harp on about staffs bending, unless you hate it happening as much as me...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nzPS Wooden staffs don't snap, if they are reasonable quality, I have 3 wooden practice staffs I bought from a martial arts shop, and i dropped on after a 15 metre throw on some concrete...the CONCRETE BROKE! I think they will ast me for the rest of my life.[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 27 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hmm, I'm having login problems, I promise I'm still me though.hey charlesSorry, didn't mean to make it sound like there's a "right" way to do it. Although I'm guessing any way that doesn't break/bend the staff is "right" ;-) Um, the way I do it is to hold on reasonably low on the staff, although not low enough to get burnt. And it's sort of a balance thing.....you have to be rotating over and moving *with* the staff, not working against it. And I kinda lock it in under my arm and up the side of my body neck so that my weight is spread out a bit. I think a lot of it is in the cartwheel itself though......if you can't land an ordinary cartwheel perfectly every time, this trick will be a bit more difficult because you need that instinctive balance to 'move with the staff'. You'll see when I send my video in smile And eyemonkey, you better be sending one in too, k? Also, I think snapping would be a bit more of a risk with this kind of movement than with just dropping it (although 15 meters is pretty high!), just because of the direction of the force. I don't know a lot about physics, but I'm sure that trying to bend something that doesn't bend (like wood) is gonna stress it out more than just wacking it (i guess dropping it is really just 'wacking it with the ground'). Ack, I'll leave the explanations to someone who knows what they're doing. I have a petty bias against wooden staffs cause someone tried to sell me one once that had beautiful artwork all down it, but was the heaviest, nastyest, worst balanced staff I've ever spun, it was horrid, yet she was convinced it was good because it was so pretty. I'm sure there are good wooden staffs out there though, I just haven't found one yet. xaeda

eyemonkeymember
22 posts

Posted:
i'd love to send a video in, but i don't know what format and all that to send in. If some one tells me what to do, then i'll happily do it. grin------------------peace out,EyEMonKeY

peace out,EyEMonKeY

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Um, Malcom says he can accept *any* format at all, cause he gets it mastered at a video production house. So yeah, no stress there. We wanna see ya!x

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....