Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Basic Staff Moves Descriptions (all staffers input required)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Ok Ok It's been a while now since the thread about a dedicated staff forum was begun, and there seems to be heaps of support for it, but there are several relevant issues brought up by the moderators.I suggest, instead of pleading with them, that we overcome the issues they mentioned first. IE put our money where our mouths are.As far as I know, they all contribute their time for free, and we should be grateful to them for the work they already do (inspirational music played in the background).Anyway, by far the biggest problem I have come across in all the previous staff threads has been lack of detailed descriptions and terms for moves, as well as the huge plethora of moves and variations available. I'm certain that this was an issue with poi a while ago as well, and we need to make a concerted effort, as a group, to start defining some of the basic moves so we have a common language.Bec & Elke's book is probably a good start, and I would like to us to all start making up simple, easy to remember descriptive names, starting with the video clips on this site. This way we can see exactly what is haening and there will be no misunderstandings at the begginning. We can move on to other moves later, but for now I would like us just to stick to the SINGLE STAFF VIDS OF XAEDA.If we can start talking about moves in the same way as the poi'ers, then we'll have won half of the battle, and will start learning more from this site as well... *** I suggest *** *** "Static Vertical 360" *** *** to describe the first move of Xaeda's (ie spinning in front in a circle)1. Static, because the arms and wrists stay in the same position relative to each other, only the hands are turning. This will be good in the future for verbally seperating moves where the arms/wrists change positions. Also, this does not matter how or where your fingers are or what they are doing, as we all seem to do finger moves differently, it wil be impossible to describe these fully but it doesnt matter, as long as the staff, arms and wrists are doing the same thing, it will all make sense.2. 360 as a term for a full rotation in the same airspace, with trails it would look like a plate or disk with no other movement apparent.3. Vertical, because the plate/disk mentioned above would be vertical (ie, you look from below or above, and it will only be a line)If we think about the names and how they affect future descriptions, rather than just choosing a cool sounding name, I'm certain we'll progress much faster.How about a corny catchprase too, like "Go and get STAFFed!!!" (dont choose this one, im sure you guys can do better...Please put in a suggestion for the second move, but put your reasons why you chose it in full, as above. Try not to disgree with the terms used, as long as the descriptions make sense, we should adopt it, to stop arguements...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 11 September 2001).][This message has been edited by Charles (edited 11 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
right. i just wasted god knowhs how long reading all this crud. here goes the explanation:1.tie a ribbon to each end of your staff.2. when you are twirling it at either SIDE of your body,3. the ribbons will appear as a wheel, annulus,ring etc to be rolling in the same direction as you are facing: THIS IS FORWARD 4. when the ribbons form a wheel (annulus ring)appearing to roll in the opposite direction, this is backwards or reverse.all this assumes that you apply a notion of friction between ribbons and ground.erm. sorry if i offend.o-o

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
arm is that spanner moving fwd in the wall plane, or fwd in the juggler's plane?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
WHATTHEHELLISTHISDOINGINPOIMOVES?!?!

MOOOOOODERATOR!!!

Please moderate this post elsewhere. It only serves to remind me of more things I can not do.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
It only serves to remind me of more things I can not do.
what like dress up in pele's cloths and be a real girl.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

POI THEO(R)IST

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey, I think that Pele and I would both agree that I'm more of a girl than her.

Leather-clad poi goddess? No, that's her. But girlie girl? Seems more of a me thing.

Thanks for thinking of me anyway.

(Move this thread damnit!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
right enough of this stuff about NYC being a leather clad goddess

I know NYC knows why this thread is in poi moves, but some of our newer members might be interested to know.

This was WAAAAAAYYY back when myself (not a moderator then) and a few other diehard staffers were trying very hard to get a "staff moves" section on HoP.

The section this is in was originally called "moves", rather than "poi moves" and had about 200 poi posts for every staff one.

Funny how things change, huh?

I'd like to leave this in the poi moves thread just for the historical significance.

IF YOU POI GUYS ARE OK WITH THAT?????????

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The historical significance of totally confusing newbies?

You're a strange one Charles....

Wouldn't the new staff kids get something out of having this in Staff?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
They might, which is why there is a thread linking to this in the staff moves thread.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
long may be the reign of staff!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
some of my flegling posts are ion here,....

N?

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Grrr - pesky staffers invading the poi section.

C'mon clear off the lot of you! Just cos staffs don't tangle - it doesn't make them cool

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Trait Of 1112™:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
It only serves to remind me of more things I can not do.
what like dress up in pele's cloths and be a real girl.

The only reason he wouldn't be able to is because my leather pants would be too long on him!
Yeah, NYC is definately the girlie girl of the two of us, though I could make comments about having a "staff" that would negate that NYC!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Its Pinky, Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain...

starring charles as Brain
KoB as Pinky
HoP as the world...

Pinky: So what are we gonna do tonight then brain?

Brain: Same thing we do every night, Pinky! Try to take over the world...

"later"

Brain: Pinky, Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but can the Gummi Worms really live in peace with the Marshmallow Chicks?

never mind... (KoB at himself before wandering off mumbling something about it being funny to him at the time...)

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

Page: