Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > arm and back rolls with staff

Login/Join to Participate

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I don't do staff, but I saw this guy on David Letterman tonight that does cube spinning, so I decided to check out his website. He's got this cool video where he keeps rolling this staff across his back and arms. Well, that's not a very good description, but anyway, here's the video:https://www.cubefx.com/video04.htmIs this a familiar move?

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
that was freaking awsome Im going to try it right now thanks!!!!!

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
That looks an awfull lot like devil sticks except using your arms like the other two sticks. It was cool though.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

saffiremember
27 posts

Posted:
Unreal rolling moves. Hmmmm! I'll give it a go!

DONT PANIC
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
xaeda does some cool back roll and under the leg and over the back rolls in the lessons on this site.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
That is pretty cool. Although most of it is simple devil stick stuff, except the roll catches on the shoulders and other body contact moves.I met a staff at Balloonski a month or so ago and tried to show off my neck-catch and roll down the arm routine (which I'm pretty proud of) to him.Then he goes and rolls it around his shoulder and arm, back to the shoulder and over the back etc, without stopping! It was so inspiring, and similar to the smaller segments of what this guy was doing...Put me to shame right there, but, as already mentioned in this thread, it gave me lots of new ideas. What you need to make it easier is a really light, flexible staff, and the weight on one end (in the vid) might make it interersting, I'll look into it.I haven't practiced it much as its been pouring with rain here the last four weeks, but am going to the juggling club tonite and shoudl give it another go...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 10 September 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

jedimastahmember
97 posts

Posted:
I did it WOO HOO cool another move to my arsenal !!!!

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
wow! nice finding bassman. where does this guy come from?charles- if i interpreded correctly i think i can do what your friend does too, but havn't seen much arm/ shoulder/ back rolling moves around. i can't wait to try the throwing rolling catch when i get a lighter staff!beth------------------floating drifting fading awayhow could these stimulants lead us astray?

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

CubeFXstranger
3 posts

Posted:
Hi all,"Trident" is traditional Chinise circus art.This type of acts is very popular in Asia.It`s a weapon type pole (fork on one end) and also have 4 metal circles on the same end. When you roll it around your body it makes different noises ( depends on the trick), it`s pretty loud.Sorry for my English....P.S. I,m in a progress of redesigning my web site right now and I`ll post my David Letterman performance vedeo later this month.Aydar (CUBE)https://www.cubefx.com

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Wow that's an amazing style. I'm in shock, I have a soild grip on my staff at all times unless I'm throwing it. So if that's cube spinning what's the 6 sided staff Idea i've had called? Hehe other then insane grin------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree Charles, it is mostly devil sticks and as I get mor proficient with my sticks (which really isn't saying much) I swear I think that it is easier to use my body than those support sticks!Anyway, some of those moves were very cool, and I will be working on them into my repetoire much later....However..has anyone seen the guys from cirque du soliel who do these things, and not with just a stick but also with an actual cube? Amazing, astounding, mesmerizing, I wanna be like them when (if) I grow up grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CubeFXstranger
3 posts

Posted:
I do all three, Cube, Devil Sticks and "Trident", and I can assure you that it is three totaly different things. I perform professionaly with CUBE for more then 9 years now. I started Trident in 97 and practiced with it for about a year, and then just got bored, so I stopped. I was born in a circus so I did everything starting from acrobatic and finishing with Fire eating. You mistaken if you think that if you very good at devil sticks that it will be very easy for you to learn "Trident". What you saw on my video is very little piece of what is possible to do. Right now I`m trying to do same routine with Fire staff. I know many circus acts who perform with Trident and some of them VERY good. I`m thinking that if I`ll take it to the new extreme with fire, it should look good too. ;-)Aydar (CUBE)https://www.cubefx.com

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey,I watched your cube display...very impressive..in fact I intend to adapt some of what I saw into my fire staff repetoire - Thankyou! and when ppl ask where I learned it, I'll give proper credit.Josh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
very good! I already had a few of those moves, but I am ver impressed, and inspired. I do an overhead thing (like a helicopter) with no hands, just like devil sticks (although I can't do much with devil sticks) During this I can also turn my body while the plane of rotation changes to 30 degrees from vertical, changing the plane of the staff to face another direction (turn the 30 degree plane to the right while keeping the plane at 30 degrees) (this is realy hard to describe, sorry) and from this turning thing, I can also do a role down my arm, across my back to my other hand (sometimes, and not always on purpose)I find it easiest to use a long (2 meter) staff because it tends to not speed up very fast, and it retains momentum better (more stable). I would recomend a lite staff at first because it hurts alot less when you hit yourself in the head. I sent in a short clip of my "no hands helicopter" for the video competition....

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oops, sorry Cube. When I said "simple devil stick" I meant the physics behind the back and forward motions on the video (not all of trident itself). I didn't mean it to sound like it was easy (i can't do it).I do a few devil stick moves with my firestaff and arms, it is not easy at all. And also nowhere near as fluid.Great respect to you man.And keep on the board if you can, it will be great to have a few more carnies (circus people) putting in their opinions.------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
charles - who was the staff guy? sounds amazing, I've never seen anyone do anything like that.xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Can't remember his name, he was a POM with a strong accent and it's all starting to fade in my memory a bit.But I still remember just being blown away by it all...He also did some stuff that he said was part of Thai Chi, where he holds the staff in the middle and rolls it twisting and turning all around his body. The centre of the staff was always touching,kinda like Liquid-Dancing but with a staff. It was great!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
is anyone here a contact juggler? can you do that stuff with a staff? butterfly and stuff?

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Blackbird, don't know what you mean by a contact-staff-butterfly, but I might be getting confused.My first post on this thread was about a guy I met who did contact with the staff, rolling it freestyle all over the place, i was soooo blown away. Have a look further up for more details------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?