JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Could someone please explain to me what wraps are? I keep seeing them mentioned but have not been able to find any description of what they actually are.I thank you all in advance for the help.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
well now, this can get extreamly complicated, but in the simplest terms... a wrap is when you allow the poi chain to touch your body. if the chain keeps wraping until the ball hits you, then I call it a recoil. But, if you conserve the momentum by unwraping the chain on the opposite side of the body I call that a wrap. However most poeple use the word wrap for both. I think the best way to describe a wrap is with a video...We just spent the last two nights filming with the digital camera grin ...and we will be putting all the new videos on our web site over the next three weeks, starting with a few tonight. I have a BUNCH of new types of wrapping and recoiling to put on there. So be watching out for new footage. We don't have any new stuff on there yet, but we soon will (like starting later tonight). www.flamingsphere.homestead.com There is already a little wraping stuff on there (8 beat weave) in the "cool videos" and "top ten" section.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
santanatwo -- It's really hard to tell what's going on in those videos. You're compressor is dropping too many frames frown However, I'm pretty sure that the rev weave wrap you are doing is not 8 beats. It's 7 beats. I can understand why you would get confused. It's difficult to count those weave wraps frown If your pattern is symmetrical though, your weave will *always* have an odd number of beats. On the forward weave wrap, the 7 beat weave isn't really much of a wrap, it doesn't wrap all the way around your arm, so most people do the 9 beat one. On the reverse weave wrap, the 7 beat weave wrap actually wraps all the way around your arm so it works, but the 9 beat weave wrap is kinda hard to do unless you have really long chains. The 9 beat reverse weave wrap wraps a lot more that the 9 beat forward weave wrap. So even though I can't make out the beats in your video (I can't even tell you are wrapping!), I'm pretty sure that it's 7 beat. Also, it looks like you are crossing with your open arm each time. If you were doing 9 beats, you would be crossing with your cross arm each time, and if you were doing 8 beats your crossing arm would be alternating between your open arm and crossed arm.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Some synonyms for wraps are "bump" and "stall" tricks.Essentially all you are doing is arresting your forward (or backward) motion by letting your strings or chains wrap around your body, and then by pulling in the opposite direction you can reverse the way your poi spin. This can be used as a transition, or moreover many people base all the moves they know off of wraps. Though i wouldn't suggest it with fire unless you have some decent practice.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
actually bassman, you could very well be right about it being a seven beat confused (but it might be a 8...read on) , I think I did a twelve beat once, but who can count like that...?!?! not me. It does make sence that most weaves would have an odd number. However: I wrap the left poi on my right arm when they are both on the RIGHT side of my body, therefor the right poi is able to do "extra" rotations while the left poi is wraping (in other word: you can "sneak in" and extra beat with the poi that is not wraping). Incidentaly, there is an alternate (opposite) way to wrap. Example: wraping the right poi on the left arm when they are both on the RIGHT side of the body) I'm not saying I was doing an 8 beat, but I could have been, I am just not certain. Some of this stuff requires velocity changes with the poi, which occure anyways as the poi cables/chains/srtings get shorter during the wrap. But on the brighter side smile , we got TOP 20 VIDEOS now, and they are all brand new. Lots of "recoils" and a few "wraps" here and there. And some "stalls" in the UV... cool

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
well dunno you use wraps to change the directions of yer pois or one of them... well at least i use them for that... with that i change the direction and lemme change from a butterfly really easy to a weave move.... just to give ya an example..

Dance like if noone were watching you

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
santanatwo -- Yeah, I guess that's true. You could do a symmetrical 8 beat weave wrap by going in and out of split-time, but I think it would be harder than just doing the 9 beat version, and it wouldn't look as interesting imo. The velocity doesn?t have to change on the poi that's wrapping. You pretty much have control over speeding up and slowing down the poi. You just have to compensate for the change in the moment of inertia so that the angular velocity remains the same. It's actually not very hard. Just concentrate on making sure that both poi are always pointing away from each other.Looking back at my last post I realized that I said something incorrect frown The forward 9 beat weave wrap does not necessarily wrap more than the reverse 9 beat weave wrap. It's really a matter of which arm you do the wrap on that determines the amount of wrapping required for the desired number of beats.

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I thank you all for the help, but I am affraid that I still don't quite get it. Does anyone have a good video that shows some basic wraps?I watched santanatwo's vid but must not have caught the wrap part 'cus I'm still lost frownHelp is welcome and apreciated.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive