Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Pls guys help me read it...

Login/Join to Participate

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Today i was on a party... 2 chicks had glowstikcs and the i felt like damn i wanna do some glowsticking(yeah was my first time with public LOT of public)... so i took those glowstick took shoelaces and there grinanyhow.. i started and i doing it... ppl liked it .... but then i realized i didnt have lot of combos man and i repeated too many times the same and the same combo thats fucking bad!! damn im a newbie frown i have get into learn all the tricks too much instead creating combos! bah to myself frownif ya guys can help me typing yer combos all yer combos here would be really NICE and great! and i would apreciate it =) there is a list of what i can do#07 BTB butterfly#08 butterfly#09 One handed overhead butterfly#10 One handed Butterfly #11 The Weave (5 beats)#13 Chasing the Sun #14 Low Turn #15 High Turn #16 Low Wave #17 Tuck Turn #18 Corkscrew(quadruple corkscrew too) #19 Backward Weave and Turning #20 Windmill #21 Horizontal Mexican Wave and yeah i can do almost any kind of wrap i just cant do the neck wrap cause it scare me tongue i always think i will kill myself with it.... other question!if ya dancing with TeChno jeez how you can make combos goes with the son... i mean you know it got the same rythm for a while and then i gotta do the same move for a while to go with the rhymt... is that right? or ya can make lot of combos with the same rythm??... well i guess you cant help me with that and i have to learn it by myself but if ya just asnwer me the question would be okay =)[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 01 September 2001).]

Dance like if noone were watching you

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I don't think you should think of poi as a bunch of combos. I could list you an infinite number of combos but in the end you'll come to one conclusion. 1) Every move is linkable to any other moveGranted, some moves do flow better together.Maybe to make it easier groups these types of moves that flow well together (i like to call them series)Weave/windmill series - Moves that fall under this categories are weaves, btb weaves, windmills, split-time figure 8's, split-time shooting the moon. Chasing the sun series - moves where the poi spin together, chasing the sun, shooting the moon, tri-weave (don't know any other name for it), similar to the weave/windmill series.Butterfly series - Low waves, high waves, X'ing, Butterflies, btb butterfly, split-time butterfly, thread the needle etc. Basically moves that have the illusion of light bounching off each other to the spectatorThen you have your showy moves like wraps, Giants and jumps, between the legs moves etcThat is the great thing about poi are all the options that you can do. This is a small guideline, maybe it will help you maybe it won't. But remember every move can be linked to any other move, this is just something to maybe help you out. So i dunno, do your weave and windmills. wrap it on your arm to change the direction of one of them so it goes to the butterfly series fool around there, repeat.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 01 September 2001).][This message has been edited by phunky (edited 01 September 2001).]

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Can anyone show me a gif or something to see how is shooting the moon?? i never saw that before...what is Xing??? split-time figure 8's? frown how are the split time in general ? [This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 01 September 2001).]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Shooting the moon is the term me and my friends use for a low chasing the sun. It's a common move used by a lot of people, just that no one has really named it. X'ing is like a split-time butterfly just that the plains are crossing each other so it makes an X, some people say it looks like an atom. Oh ya, split-time in general is notmoving your hands together but alternating. To do x'ing you move your hands as if you were playing on the drums. Hope that helps a bit.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
oh forgot i just got the double quad(2 beeats) windmill... i forgot to type up i can do the BTB Weave tonguei dont know hwat you mean with low chasing sun man damn! i sucks ! frowna video would help i just need to look!! smileyou know something before when i was starting i thought those move like 2 beats windmill and also quadruple corkscrew was a experts moves, BTB weave too but now... dunno i see movies of ppl doing weird stuff like Bassman movie about 3poin_tnt_weave... man looks soo cool and i dont even have idea how to start!! and i see many move like those that makes me feel newbie even if i get more and more moves or combos =/

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
shooting the moon - one hand does the forward low wave, the other hand does the reverse low wave.well if you think about it, a 3-point ttn is basically turning a ttn on your left and right side with out turning your body. There's a bunch of variations for moves where all you have to do is either move your body before the move or delay it. Remember when you learned the weave you were facing forward with the weave in front of you? Well i rarely ever do that anymore. All of my weaves i tuck under my arm or over my shoulder so my body is facing the side. Why do i do this? because extra body motions give a move a better look and to maintain "the circle" (go to https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000256.html
if you wanna know what im talking about)------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Phunky,Somehow I missed that thread. Great point. smile