rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
can anyone help me out with some POInters on the btb5beat weave? i can get the 3 beat without two much difficulty and i can get the forward 5 beat easily but i just can't wrap my head around this move. i don't suppose there are some simple tips for dopey people like me? i wish i could see it in real life but i'd have to wait until tomorrow night and i can't do anything else until i get this move. i guess i'll keep practising until one of you angels come save me. sigh...i'm gonna lose my brain

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
well the movement for the the btb 5beat and turning it is exactly the same as it in front of you. When i see people attemping the btb 5-beat i see them trying to stretch there arms and have no movement in there body. Try actually dodging them at first, after that you'll feel the movement. You'll find out like the btb 3-beat theres a certain sway that you do. I thought the sway would be similar to when i learned the btb 3-beat but more exagerated but its a completely different sway. Anyways, btb 5-beat is far from an impossible move like some people have said, just practice and it will come.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
cheers phunky, i can see it now so i've almost got it happy happy joy joy!!!------------------floating drifting fading awayhow could these stimulants lead us astray?

floating
drifting
fading away

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hello...I can do the BTB 5 beat... from which 'circles' do you hail from bethany?As always, visualisation is the key.. smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Strange thing happened to me with this move... after about a week of half-hearted and not very determined efforts to learn the btb 5 beat weave, last night I decided I would actually try it properly. The surprising thing is that it took me all of 5 minutes to figure out, which really surprised me. So at the moment I'm a bit worried as to whether I actually am doing it or not tongue

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
yaaayyy!!! double yaaayyy!!!ok i have it, it's a bit dodgy and i'll need some practise because i'm scared of backwards btb hitting mye in the face, but hey, once that nose is broken it can't matter too much grinsplat- logan way, someone told me you do firefingers??? where you at?endangered sanity- you must be a whole kick ass heap betterer than i cool keep up the good workbeth

floating
drifting
fading away

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
beth - i doubt that smile I think it was something to do with the fact that I had just learnt (finally) the reverse 5 beat weave a couple of days earlier, so it was fresh in my mind. That and the fact that I had been trying it on and off for a week or two meant that my body (and brain) sort of were already starting to figure out how to do it. I guess I was just lucky smile

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
endangered sanity- i couldn't do the reverse btb first, so i guess i need to get a little more comfortable with that first, but this is only my second week spinning, i still have to figure out how on earth i do the quad corkscrew. gulp. the kids had a japanese cultural day today, we had live drums, and toys that were constructed inconspicuously like poi, i showed 'em all my btb and they loved it. kids rockbeth

floating
drifting
fading away

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
This is your second week and already youre into btb stuff? Thats crazy. When I was in my second week of leanring I was pretty happy with myself because I could do a butterfly with out hitting myself in the crotch (well, not often anyway). I only started to learn btb stuff about 2 months or more after I had begun to learn poi.

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
endangered- ok perhaps i should explain that i've had my poi for about four months now, but i've never seen any POIers after i started... so i just asumed that once i had a basic butterfly and 2b/3b weave. i knew i all. i never realised you could do all this fancy shit with a couple of strings grin only started doing the fun shit since i've been in here. and yaaayyy!!! more brisbane twirlers... grin where bouts? beth

floating
drifting
fading away

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Ah, ok, I get it now. Thats still pretty impressive anyhow. I live in Ferny Hills, what about you?

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
yeah but it was all i could think about for days before trying it anyhow i'm in loganholme, shame everythings so far away (shorncliff) know of anything happening down this way?beth smile

floating
drifting
fading away

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
tee hee.. just had to point out shorncliffe does not come close to equalling everything smile .. in all honesty I have been around brissy and surrounds to dozens of different groups.. and seen probably thousands of twirlers..., and the real talent that goes out to play is down by the river near south brisbane. This one guy can backflip while twirling ... *talent* ! So if you're in the area... come and trickswap! smile [This message has been edited by splat (edited 07 September 2001).]

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I would love to meet other twirlers but I am very limited in where I can go because I don't have any means of transportation. I wish I knew some people around the Ferny Hills area. Ah well.By the way, do you realise how far off topis this has gone? grin

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
zooming through...ES, that's what public transport is for!! smileOr a bicycle, depends on how fit you are I suppose... (that's how I get around)But its still on the same topic kinda..if we were meeting to twirl we would be demonstrating techniques wink

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
hey splat define down by the river near south brisbane -the suburb, or somewhere south of brisbane beside a river...and also when does this stuff go on??would be great to catch up with you guys sometimeES- so anyway i'm getting the hang of 5beat BTB... hehebeth

floating
drifting
fading away

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
hey beth, thats good to hear. I was doing it for a bit tonight, and I realised that I nearly lost how to do it, because I haven't been practising it for about a week. But it's all under control now smileMeanwhile, I'm thinking about going to the next moon fest. Are any of you guys going?And by the way splat, I don't have a bike. I sold the last one I had about 3 years ago for $50 tongue

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
...next moon fest is on 2nd October smileand it's easy to get to via Public Transport - just catch the train to Shorncliffe and it's just a 5min walk to the beach...

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Sweet. I'm almost definitely going then smile

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
hey becdo you do any classes in the city?and when will moonfest startup again?beth smile

floating
drifting
fading away

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Hello Beth...yes Elke and I do run workshops in the city - and the next one is this Saturday - with sessions in poi technique, staff technique & "gypsy fire" (fire bellydance, fire fingers/fans)... we run two groups (one for beginners and the other for more experienced twirlers) for each class. If you want all the details, or would like to receive regular updates about twirling gatherings/moon fest email me at moonfest@bigpond.com Oh... and Moon Fest started a couple of weeks ago and will continue once a month til next Winter...

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmmm..its down near the river in Davies park in west end... on tuesday eves around 7.00 - late... I have been around and around (only Brisbane gatherings and areas) and I haven't met anyone doing anything 'technically' good. (leaving a nice hole for us smile )Without having my head stuck up my arse - I haven't met or seen anyone in Brisbane who can funky tricks with poi ...(and I've been everywhere here frown ) and am always up for trickswappin smile (It'd be great to meet up too) Oh.. and best of all you don't have to part with any $$ (how can you charge for such a generation to generation thing?? I think its like tai chi ..it should be free)give us a bell if it tickles ye fancy.

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
splat- i have a feeling there won't be much trick swapping with poi, more like you can teach me some more tricks, i don't think i've evolved much lately and my staff is complaining to me of favouritism rolleyes .i'm planning on going to that woodford festival thingy this weekend (sat), if your keen email me@ranger_bethany@hotmail.commy fluffy poi are lookin real dirty after last night frownbeth

floating
drifting
fading away