Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Musings on Grip and Butterflies...

Login/Join to Participate

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Every time I get a new tip that I've never heard before I feel like I gotta share it with hopes it well help some newbie. Sorry to the vets who know it already, but why didn't ya tell me?!Today, I was playing with my butterfly moves and found it interesting how different a look you can get from going from front to back butterflies just by using different hand motions to do the same move. I normally use quite a bit of arm and shoulder motion when flipping a poi from front to back butterflies, much like swinging a tennis racquet. By switching my hands from palm down in front of the body, to palm up behind, you can keep your arms much “quieter” and look much smoother. When I was just starting out I was focusing on just getting the little buggers to go where I wanted. Now, I see how subtleties of wrist position and arm motion lend itself to really dancing and cleaner circles. I recommend trying all of the moves you already know in a way you’ve never done before. Really low/high, palm down/palm up, close to/far from your body, or keeping your wrists almost touching the whole time. It makes quite a difference.With all the push to “learn new moves, learn new moves, learn new moves” it’s nice to learn a new way to do some old ones!I also found that changing grip will also change style. I had been gripping on my knuckles closest to the palm. Today I switched to further outward from my hands and got MUCH more control. Ultimate result: Proud new member of the 5 beat weave club.[This message has been edited by NYC (edited 29 August 2001).]

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
totally cool, and by the way like the new name. when i was teaching the other day i noticed very much what you are saying. a lady was trying to do the butterfly and she kept pointing her palms up, she was getting the rythm but couldn't understand why they would hit every few rotations so i took a minute to compare my technique to hers and kind of combined them, now she has a perfect butterfly, and it was just a small rotation of the wrists. kudos on the 5 beat, i just got the rev one, had to close my eyes to get it, that darn mental block.

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Thanks proz, I was also noticing that during a butterfly the poi should "cross paths" on the left and right side BUT should be "in beat" on the top and bottom thus preventing them from colliding (also known as the always popular "Kabanger" effect AKA "any one in a club who borrows my glowsticks"). Having one hand slightly above the other allows this to happen. Never realized why until today...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Guess i got a head start cause i borrowed the art of poi from Finn and in that she mentions the importance of where your palms face in moves and where you should position them for each different move she describes

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -