Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > butterfly/thread the needle

Login/Join to Participate

krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
Hi everybodyI discovered something cool tonight that I wanted to share. Maybe you all do this already, but I'm a new twirler and thought it was a pretty creative solution.Okay, I just learned the "Thread the Needle". I've been doing the butterly for months, but had a problem switching hands when doing it one-handed. I figured this- when you go from two-handed to one, the hand you're going to put it in should be on the bottom. But I couldn't figure out a smooth way to change which hand is on top without going into a completely different move. Thread the Needle does just that! :)Now I can do this:right hand butterflyboth hands (with one-beat thread the needle)left hand butterflyetc.The cool thing is it almost looks like you're just handing the butterfly back and forth.I dream of doing a one-handed over the head, side-to-side, switch hands move (to the reverse butterfly maybe?). Has anyone tried this? I think it would look cool, but I'm still working on the over the head one-handed front to back right now.Kristen

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i like your creativity. very nice. me personally, i put it into my top hand. but very cool. keep up the good work, by the way, where in CA are you?

anyone got a light?

krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
It's gotta be what you learn first. I tried putting in the top hand, and it didn't feel right. But I find that learning a move backwards (or in the other hand) sometimes takes longer than it took to learn the move in the first place. But maybe it's just me. Now I'm off to work on the 5-beat weave, which has me completely baffled. and I thought three beats on a side was pretty cool...I'm in the SF bay area. I should have said San Jose, since they're all basically one big city here.

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Krystie or anyone else who is reading. I have been playing with the One-Handed Butterfly and am desperately looking for something more to do with it. So far I have found the following things one handed butterfly - 2 handed reversing the chains causes a reversed butterfly. If you start swinging the one hand left to right instead of up and down it will start to turn into a weave and then you can move to the left and right of your body like a regular weave. Also you can switch to a one handed corkscrew although thats tough for me to get looking good consistently.So many times I have tried to go from one handed butterfly infront to one handed butterfly behind the head. It has never worked.Is it Possible?????Code128

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
On the one-handed butterfly behind the head, it's definitely possible, but was very tricky for me at first. So far I can only do one hand, and not the other. Here's what I'm doing, for an example, but I'm sure it can be reversed and/or put in the other hand:I start with the inside butterfly (that is, they spin downwards on the inside) with my right hand underneath. When you go behind the head, your left hand would be on the bottom and the right hand on top, right? So when I do the one-handed right hand and go behind my head all I'm thinking about is keeping what was the top of my hand pointing down behind me (otherwise I tend to rotate my wrist). Does this make any kind of sense? And if you're doing the butterfly the other direction, sorry, but I think the same principle applies. I usually get hurt doing the outside butterfly. And while I'm on the subject, which is more common? Do people to both, or switch between them?That butterfly-to-weave you mentioned, Code128, sounds cool. I'm always looking for different move changes, since the same thing gets somewhat boring. What I usually do is simply toss the butterfly forward so I'm spinning on the side, then weave from there.

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
Kristie Im having a little trouble understanding, do switch from two hands to one hand w/ both strings Im a little confused, maybe Im just slow or somethingThanx, Matty

krystiemember
22 posts

Posted:
I'm sure this has been stated before, but it's hard to talk about some parts of a move with only words. So bear with me :)Yes, the one-handed has both strings in the same hand, but not held in exactly the same place. Like, I'd hold one on my index finger and the other on my pinkie, if the thing being twirled was light.