Page:
GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
smileHello everyoneWell, my problem is the backward weave, i have been trying all morning to pull it off, but no matter what i do they always end up spinning forward doing a forward weave frown I have looked at the lesson for it on this site, and studyed the person's hands in the video, but i just cant seem to get it. I know if i can find an easy way to start it off i will get into, so does anyone have any suggestions? Im starting to get quite fustrated now confusedThankyou everyone,GoldenKrispy

beakermember
54 posts

Posted:
I swang the poi towards myself in split time and crossed them over occasionally until I felt I could weave them. If you work on that for a while you will work out the timing when to cross your hands and so on. When I started to learn backwards weave I gave up and had a go a few days later as I'd been going over it in my head for a while it clicked and I could do it. Mental preparation can be useful too ya know.hope it makes sense smile

C'mon baby light my fire

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i just recently started swinging poi, and the weave was the first thing i learned. i don't know if it will help, but the way i learned was to break the patern down to one hands movement - 2 circles on the oposite side of the body, 1 on the same. once i had that down, with the backwards or reverse i had the same problem you're having - i kept switching to forward. what helped me was watching the pattern of the swing while going forward - where the trails would be. when swinging forward the trails looked like they formed an X in front of me, the poi moving in a downward motion. so when doing backwards i consciously reversed it so that with the same X pattern they were swinging upwards. untill i was comfortable in reverse i kept watching or checking to make sure that i stayed in reverse.i don't know how clear my explaination is. i wish i could draw pictures to show you what i mean but . . .good luckjen

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
hmm... i think pictures... no scratch that... i think videos would teach a LOT better then words... Friend and I need to start video recording our hand motions so we can help others... oh and if you want words now... the reverse weave is a bit tougher to pick up then the forward, but it's still quite easy compared to your future endeavors such as the btb 5 beat reverse weave (frikkin' insane), so keep that in mind... oh and if you're actually looking for good advice... it's the same thing as the forward weave just backwards (sounds stupid, and apparent, but it's true)...

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
im not a pro at poi but i can do the reverse weave!how i did it was to practice the figure 8 revurse unyil i could throw in an extra spin to make the weavepeace out

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I had trouble with the backward weave at first, I was doing it occasionaly without knowing how. One thing helped me get it right. The lesson on this site: https://www.homeofpoi.com/new7.htmmainly:*
Start learning this by starting with only one Poi. Hold the empty arm out in front of you.* Start swinging the Poi in a backward rotation.* Then swing the Poi across your body and under your other arm for one rotation. * Then another rotation, spinning the Poi still crossing your body but this time swing over the other arm * Then swing the Poi uncrossing the body out to it's original side. This teaches you the order the hands need to move in.Also try this, which I worked out teaching to others, useful for learning forwards and backwards weaves:* Swing the Poi in the which ever direction, split time.* Cross over so that your hands are crossed over and stay like that.* Using the arm that is underneath do a figure of 8 over to the other side, looping your arm over the other arm.* Practice with both arms and then speed up, eventually this leads to a weave.Unfortunately I'm sat in the office and might get dodgy looks if I try to confirm that's all correct for the backwards weave as well as forwards!Either way, be prepared to hit yourself quite a bit!

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

miggyzmember
1 post

Posted:
I couldn't get my head around the reverse weave for quite a while until I realised that if you do a turn whilst doing the weave, the poi want to go into a reverse weave. i.e. rather than going down on the cross-over they are now going up.You will whack yourself in the head a few times, but once I'd worked out how to turn into it, I could then see how to get into from other situations.Have fun!!!

MiggyzAnyone seen my wombat?

clarkeymember
29 posts

Posted:
The most common problem that i see with people trying to learnt he weave, both forward and backwards, is that they tend to do half of it, e.g. over & under on one side of your body, and then only either over OR under, on the other side. Normally the prob. is with the weaker hand, i.e. left for right-handed people.My advice is to hold the good arm straight out in front of you and practice swinging the poi over, under & out with the other hand (don't forget this is a three beat move - over,under,out).When your proficient at this try putting the routine back together with both poi swinging. If this doesn't help, try swinging both the poi parallel at your sides in reverse, then stagger the beat, then with the leading hand bring the poi across your body over the opposite hand, and begin to 'chase' that poi with the corresponding hand.Hope this is helpful, if not another description can be found at https://www.geocities.com/firepoi/
- just select backwards weave from the moves list.Easy, TIM smile

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i agree with miggy.. the easiest way is to strt in the forward weave, and then pick a side to turn to. let say the right side for instruction purposes. As the poi come to your right side and you left Poi is swinging across your body, turn to the right 180 degress. You essentially just turn with the Poi. Kep your hand motions the same, and you will feel it. Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i can't even do the reverse weave, altho i can do a buncha other shit. the way i learned this was to have a poi on each hand but hold both strings together with both hands. then, practice the motion as it's a lot easier to swing 1 around instead of 2 in split timing. then as the motion is gotten down, gradually start swinging the poi apart

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
think back to school, when you skipped (if you did) start backwards and pretend you are skipping, it will all come soon after that

GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
Well all of you have been very helpful! Its seems some of you have very different ways of grasping the backward weave, but i will try them all untill i get it. I then i will inform u when i eventually do!!! hehe! Cheers everyone!Keep Smiling grinGoldenKrispy

Zeduahmember
11 posts

Posted:
Ok.... I have been trying to do the reverse weave as many of you have explained.... one of you said that it is the exact hand motion of the forward weave, just backward... so instead of the right arm going over the left arm, then under the left arm, then out, it should be the right arm going under the left arm, then over the left arm, then out? This much seems to make sense when you write it, but it is a different story when I try to do it. Can the reverse weave only be done with short poi, shorter than your arms? Mine are about a meter long (I'm tall), and even when I drop one and try to make sense of your instructions, it makes no sense when I'm trying to spin.... spinning in reverse, towards myself, you cross over when the poi are nearing the TOP of the circle and coming DOWN towards the other side... so how on earth can it possibly go UNDER your other arm first? My arm always gets in the way. I just don't understand how it can be done, unless you guys are doing it with poi shorter than your arms. Is this the case? I can do the forward weave and three behind the back moves, I KNOW I have the coordination to do the reverse weave, I just have to be able to conceive of how it's done first. Can someone explain in more detail? Thanks! smile

miggyzmember
1 post

Posted:
Try the turn, and follow the poi, they know where to go.But if you realy have to try and learn from reverse spin at your sides, I think the cross-over is as the poi go up from the bottom, if my brain remembers correctly! coolenjoy!

MiggyzAnyone seen my wombat?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
ZeduahA lot of people have problems with the weaves because of the fact that the first set of a three beat weave (on one side of the body) is actually a two beat. so to solve that problem learn to do a two beat weave first :::This works for forward and reverse weaves::: do a two beat (let us say left always over right) and then learn the opposite two beat (right always over left) belive it or not this will teach your hands to do a three beat. then when you are ready to try a three beat start doing a two beat first for a while, then instead of brings the crossing hand back to its own side-leave it on the opposite side of the body for an extra beat.In other words Zeduah, the reason your arm is getting in the way is because you can't go directly into a three beat, you have to start from a two beat (even if that two beat lasts only half of a set-one full set being left and right sides combined) in other words, 2 left, 3 right, 3 left, 3 right.So... when you start a three beat reverse weave the first crossing arm should pass OVER the opposite hand on the "first half of the first set ONLY" (thus doing a two beat), BUT every cross over afterwards is done by bringing the crossing arm UNDER the opposite arm first. In other words start with a two beat first and from that you can do a three beat, it is the only way possible.Hope this helps.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
K well this may sound kinda stupid, and weird to sm ppl, but i tried this a few times, and ill post it in a new thread to.1.: Drop your Poi on the ground2.: Walk inside, or in the garage, and go searching for 2 sticks. Not glosticks (those may work too), but sticks about 15" long.3.Walk back outside and start doing the move you want. But this time, do it in slomotion.Figure out in your mind how the move will have to go, and do it very very slowly with your sticks. Just keep the basics and the move in your head and pick up the Poi again, and do the move as slowly as possible (so that the Poi wont 'fall'). If it works, youll be able to speed up and remember the move right.Worked a lot for me, so mebbe u ppl can use it.Happy Stringin'

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Doh I was gonna say that - try with clubs. you can slow it down like totally, and it still feels basically the same when you get it. plus you dont hit yourself in the head, which is a major psychological barrier when doing rvs moves, i find.i mean, i could do the 5bt like months ago but still not the rvs 5bt simply because i keep hitting myself in the face! its coming though, i got the rvs 4 bt, and doing with clubs really helped.once you got it, you got a whole load of combos you can do, and poi'ing starts getting really really fun! so good luck! [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">------------------[/image] - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I first learned everything with a staff (actually some long pole thing around my house). Try it with that first, helps a lot since you don't have to worry about the ends hitting you.------------------Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
sorry totaly off the topic, but blackbird what prog are you using for your pics?loved underworld and mist detail smilebeth

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hi!I just helped someone who was struggling with rvs weave get it just yesterday, and she was having exactly the same problem you are.you say you can do it on one side, but when you go to the other, it just switches to fwd (kind of behind you)...ok - so when you are spinning at your sides, learn how to start the weave on the side that tries to switch. bring your bad hand up to speed with the movement, and your good hand will just follow along.So start the rvs weave on your bad side. concentrate on where the poi need to go.Use two short sticks, that the best way to learn this stuff.Good luck,Josh

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
photoshop 6.0and thanks smile it's nice to know that people actually look at them.sign my guestbook...? grin

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Aeorimember
77 posts

Posted:
I have been 'into' poi for a while but never prcticed religiously so I'm still at a bisic level. I know the forward weave and my friend recomended learning a turn then moving from forward weave to backward weave. I'm gonna try this out tommorow ^^

Fear my wrath and call me muffin for I am the muffin of doom!!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
good luck! it took me ages to get it! - my advice is practice with one hand (one poi!) at a time.
I don't know about you but for me it felt really unnatural to have the poi spinning backwards.

you'll get it! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

kitilixBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Why do I keep hitting myself!!!!! AAAAHHHHH! Dam u backward weave!!!!

By the powers of greyskull!!!!!

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
the key thing for me in learning backwards weave was to recognise the the poi are being sent UP on the cross-over, and not down like in the forward weave.

i really struggle to learn it with clubs as i rely on the momentum of the poi to create the pattern of what i am ment to be doing in my head. i just cant SPIN them....

Good Luck!

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Loads of people I've taught have found this difficult and frustrating. I'm afraid its just the good old practise that sorts it out. Try with one poi at a time at first,

spin one circle (backward obvisously) on its own side, then as the poi comes up, move it to the other side of your body and spin one circle under your non-poi-holding hand/arm, then one circle over your non-poi hand/arm, then as the poi comes up whilst doing the second circle, it goes back to the starting position...

chanting... one, under, over, one, under, over helps ('one' is spun on the poi-holding side of the body, 'over, under' is spun on the non-poi holding side of the body).

If you struggle with this, then get used to spinning a figure of 8 first, get used to the poi spinning backwards and switching sides of your body.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
I know i recently posted this in the 'help' section, but more people read it here, so:

OOOH YEAH!!! I JUST LEARNT HOW TO DO IT!!!
And...
A REALLY good teaching method

Basically:
First you need to split it up and do it one-handed, but you don't need the other hand without the poi to do anything. Just let your hand with the poi in do a figure of 8 BACKWARDS. You need to learn this really well with both hands, then
Put them both together doing a figure of eight with 2 poi at the same time (i.e they are both on the same side at the same time), then once you've learnt to do that really well, make them follow each other rather than let them go around at the same time. Then, you'll be laughing.

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

kazmanBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
I'm new to poi, started like 2 days ago. Got forward 3 weave yesterday and today im trying reverse version. Few hours ago i thought i would NEVER get it, wasnt coming close. Then i realised this is because my body just didnt know how to to reverse figure 8's. So i did them for like and hour or something (1 hand at a time, more focus on off hand, it was useless)

Now i've almost got it right. Can do a normal 2 beat thing in reverse and my main hand can get things right but my off hand keeps on causing the poi to smack me in the head, but im getting there

practise your reverse figure 8's, it helps A LOT.

poi is so much fun biggrin biggrin biggrin

Practise makes Poi-fect :P

kazmanBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
Yay, i got it right... well kinda.

I can do it now but i hit myself in the right shoulder with left poi most of them time (i'm right handed)

But i have gotten it right a few times.

My off hand still needs to get a lot better with reverse 8's though.

Practise makes Poi-fect :P

adrenalinejunkienewbie
1 post

Posted:
Genius idea! Never thought about the sticks, will give it a go! Thanks biggrin

adrenalinenewbie
18 posts

Posted:
hi everyone!
i got the backwards weave 3bt, now im trying the 5 bt any tips, the poi keeps tangleing on my wrist

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny. - Frank Outlaw

Page: