Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Behind the back fountain (get ready to stretch)

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
If you (like me) have put in the mind bending and calf brusing hours required to be competent at turning from backwards to forwards weave behind the back you have probably thought of this already. The move is to turn from forwards to backwards then backwards to forwards continusly behind your back. This move is possibly the most impressive that can be done and draws cheers from any crowd. To learn this I had to practice streching for weeks. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and try to touch your right shoulder on your left heel and vice versa. This move is so worth the effort.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Are you going into an overhead windmill from this or just doing the "lower fountain" part, basically just doing a turn without moving your feet (much)?I just gave it a shot. Yeah, it strained my shoulders. I wonder how impressive it actually looks to spectators. It sure does *feel* hard.Next step would be taking that into a 270° rotation. Not sure if I can manage that.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
I guess you are talking about the btb *lower* fountain. This is a move that I forgot to put on video for my webpage (https://siteswap.org/poi/). Anyway, you must being doing it differently than I do because I'm extremely inflexible and I don't really have to stretch at all with this move. The way that I've been taught is that the three points of rotation for this move are to the right, to the left, and directly behind you, so it doesn't make any sense to be stretching for this move. The hard part is that you have to be extremely accurate with your swings or you get whacked with your poi.The best way to start learning this move is to practice doing a regular btb weave, but instead of having one plane of rotation on each side of you, have one behind you and one to your right with forward rotation. Once you get that down, do one behind you and one to your left with a reverse rotation. Then try putting the two together.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Bassman, I liked your moves but thought the 5 beat BTBW could have been cleaner. I personally haven't pursued this move in full yet. I've tried and got it a couple of times but gave it up to work on other moves. 4 beat btbw on the right is good but getting that extra beat on the left just fuckes me over. I guess I'm going to have to go devote a day to it or something. I want a vid from phunky, cocky little bastard, but I think he knows what he's talking about. I want to see if he has his 7 beat string wrap down. Good job on the web site though, it should help some new spinners understand what the hell we are talking about when we talk about, TTNW, and fountains. Well keep practicing.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Heh, i am a cocky bastard i admit it!but so are you Myst! heh, it's all good, i'm learning stuff on this board now so im happy. About that 7-beat weave wrap, i've got it down so it wraps around my two fingers instead on my arm so it looks ALOT better. And about the 7-beat tangle method, i switched back to chain from rope so its next to impossible to get it to untangle nicely. But i think a non wrap 7-beat is the way to go, so im practicing that as we speak. I looked in the mirror while doing it, gawd it makes you look like an idiot doing it tho smileMakes you wonder if you're flexible enough that a 9-beat non wrap weave is possible...hmmm, any comments on this?Oh ya, since we're all sharing moves and shit, a move i forgot to tell is doing a 5-beat between you're legs, isn't as hard as it sounds but boy does the crowd go crazy if you do it.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I guess I too am a "cocky bitch" as well. Haven't been practicing lately so people are sure to pass me if I don't get my shit together. I think I'm going to take the time to learn that 5 beat BTBW, It'll feel good to get another move under my belt. Just been messing around with my BTB wraps though so it shouldn't be too hard to get back into the game. To be honest, I've been a bit unmotivated, It stops tonight so I'll keep you all posted on my progress. This is gonna take some work, I just feel it. Eric

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
now eric its not about people passing others its about the oness with nature and with the movements. Mother Poi is going to bend you over and reem you a good one for your blasphomy. cocky bitches arent we all?hee hee grin grin grinSuper' ------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
*:Screams in agony:* The poi goddess has bendith me over and spanketh my ass. She says you're next phunky, then you superman. She glowsticks on me, I think she has fire in store for phunky, and she said that superman would probably like it so she's using a special tool on him, and I don't think it's of the poi family.(LOL)Eric

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Responding to Myst's first post -- Thanks smile My friend edited the videos and I don't think he noticed the goof on the 5 beat btb weave that he cut (I would have picked a different run). Well, it's not really a goof, it's just that my right poi was catching up to my left poi for like a 1/2 beat. That's actually normal for me though. I tend to loose some momentum on my right poi when it swings from my left side to my right. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I'm getting better at it tough.phunky -- I've never actually worked on any between the leg moves. How do you do a btl weave? Do you have to shorten your chains?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
There's actually 2 ways of doing the btl weave. What you can do is actually shorten you're chains and go through you're legs, not really much explaination except you should have one hand behind you and one in front.The way that i like to do is just lifting my leg slightly, so you weave and its on you're left side it comes to right side before it does a beat bring the poi's under yourleft leg and it should spin once, then bring it to you right side and repeat the process. You can do this 5-beat and i think it actually makes a difference in the way it looks. The 3-beat btl weave in this method goes quite quick, whereas the 5-beat feels like it stays under your leg for a long period of time.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
should i turn my head and cough? [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gif">------------------[/image]He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hello there,I am performing a virtual bow as we speak, I picked these chains up about 6 months ago and have been spinning like a lunatic ever since, I am totally in love with this sport/art/whatever and have just come across this posting. You guys are obviously a world more experienced than me and I am offering my humble respect to your obvious dedication and commitment. I would like to consider myself as being at the very beginning of an advanced level, but I really dont know how good or bad I am. I can do all the basic moves in the lessons and can do a nice turn which incorporates the windmill I think. I know this is not at advanced stage but I have recently mastered the 5 beat weave which was very hard and I really felt that I had WORKED to deserve mastering that little gem. So satisfying. The general extent of my abilities so far though allows me to swing in time with the beat and switch from move to move with ease... What do you guys think? where am I? Im thinking that Im a total beginner whose got some wicked moves coming up? what do you reckon?Will you please please please offer an explanation of some of these difficult moves that you are talking about here as I am just desperate to add more to my repertoire.Much,much,much appreciatedPeaceDizziness...

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Since I started in the middle of march 2001, and as I hear from phunky he started at the same time that would make us beginners as well. We come off as cocky cause we know we are good. I know there are better, but all the hard work I've put into my spinning has paid off and I'm getting up there. From what you say you've learned you are good, but you have to reach a new level and try every move you can possible imagine. If you haven't already learned it, learn the BTBweave, this will open new doors in your spinning. If you spin glows, I'd try to rate you if I ever saw you, but if you spin fire, I'd never rate you. I don't think you should ever rate a fire twirler. In the case that you spin stix, just practice and you'll know how good you are and if you need some work. I'm my worst enemy, I push myself harder then anyone could ever push me, and that's why I've learned so much in such a short time. Phunky has the same complex, I love to hate that guy. He pushes me almost as hard as I push myself. Eric

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thankyou MystIts nice to have some input, just come back from aplace called Eden its 5:17am and its been another wicked night thanks to poi, I just love this stuff, whenever I do it in public something happens. Tonight ive come across some top people and am back at theirs now chilling, theyve just Hello Myst.Right bthen I know when Im waffling so I will leave it at that.Love peace and happinessDizziness...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Hrm, i was going to make a mom joke to your last sentence there Myst... but i decided not to smileAnd to Dizzyiness, i don't consider myself as an advance spinnner due how long i've been spinning. But i am damn good heh. I don't know, ive downloaded all the video's on this site and have seen the circles of light video also and i after seeing all of those spinnners, and just remember i have total respect for them and i know poi is more than just technical stuff, but i was pretty unimpressed with what i saw (technical wise). Why is it only recently people have been talking about 7-beats and btb 5-beats and such? I mean, how long has poi been around and the fact that a person spinning for only 5 months has to bring to the attention to everyone that a btb-5beat is possible and maybe even btb-7beat (non wrap). I also don't understand the resistance when someone mentions an idea for a new move or when they just accomplished a new move. It's always met with something like "prove it" or "its impossible blah blah blah". A little open mindedness never hurt anyone. I think the point of this board is not only for getting to know your fellow spinners but also to share knowledge and information to make us all better spinners. So if someone comes off being cocky, as long as he's sharing his stuff, well let him be cocky. ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Don't you be talkin bout my momma! What up dizzy and company. I think Jo was the one who brought the 5 beat BTBW to the forfront. Funny too, cause I was thinking aout it for a while before I saw the post. It kinda made me not want to learn it but then I realized to stay on top of my game It would be in my best interest to learn it. I don't know why people haven't talked about it, It took me like 5 months to imagine it and by that time Jo had already learned it to some degree. Maybe we just don't have a mental block on poi. I honestly believe if I can imagine it, I can do it. Seeing as I don't imagine taking limbs off, I think It's safe to say I'm right. But whatever.Eric

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
WehHey cant you tell what I got upto on saturday night...Love peace and happiness indeed...How you doin people? I am fine and v happy since I found out what the fountain is yesterday and ho hum Ive been doing it for ages, arent I good??? spose that just frees my time for the btb weave and 5 beat. Ive already got the btb weave but cant just swing into it whenever. this will be sussed tonight though. Should I get used to turning whilst in the btb weave before I start on the btb 5 beat do you think? or just get on with it any old way.hmmm...Also, I would like to offer my humble opinion on this fire vs glowstix debate. "I really do not see any difference in the skill level required to do either...the way I see it, if I can do it with glowstix I can do it with fire, bricks, toilets or persons of restricted growth if I wished and they were willing, the fire has never done any more damage than a bit of singed hair, in fact Ive been in much more pain from getting a healthy "thwack" from me stix, cripes...ive burst blood vessels in my kneecap, temporarily crippled meself by wacking my right testicle so hard i went bog eyed and collapsed (then did the same thing again 10 mins later after recovering,)a black eye and innumerable whippings. These things are bloody dangerous!!!Talk about a steep learning curve though. My point though is that using fire (imho) is no more dangerous than anything else as it is very difficult to imagine actually setting yourself on fire or anything. Saying that though when I first started and was using fire I was poisoned by the fumes (not nice at all) this was worse than all the acute pain experiences but this is totally controllable. Hmmmmmm...What do you think??? Should this be a fresh post???I know nothing about this internet thingy, please excuse my total ignorance.Happy TwirlingPeaceDizzi

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
If you put it as a fresh post, i bet a moderator would have moved it to the general forum. Then another moderator will go on saying how this subject has been beaten to death and will show links to the threads talking about it. Then you'd get no responses so it was good you said something here.I spin fire just as much as i spin glowsticks... and i have to say i've hurt myself way more with glowsticks than with fire. I like spinning both though, takes the same amount of skill to spin either. I tend to do more wraps with glowsticks though, doing wraps with fire looks kinda lame to me, not to mention the black marks it leaves on your clothes smileAnother thing though, i believe the way you spin fire and the way you spin glowsticks should be different. With fire, you should spin gracefully making it seem effortless. But with glowsticks, it should be for the trippyness, like your hand moving and then lights are following your hand type thing (from a spectators point of view). Not saying you can't spin gracefully with glowsticks of course.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Damn, my 5 beat btb Weave is getting cleaner by the minute. I also learned how to spin to my right with a behind the back 5 beat weave. It's not perfect yet but it's getting there too. Since I learned that, I have both sides of a 5 beat BTB face bash weave but can't put them together yet. Can't wait till that fear gets lifted and I can just do it. I've also been trying a 5 beat btb lower fountain, Not easy when you don't have everything perfect. I'll give myself hmmmmm... three months till everything is perfect to the "T". Hopefully I don't get anymore, "POI" injuries.LOLEricHow's that BTB 7 beat coming phunky? Good luck!!!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
heh, btb 7-beat non wrap is one of the moves i'm not going to bother to try anymore due to the fact that im going to have to dislocate my arm to do it. I'm not convinced wrapping in a weave looks good either. I'm now off to new frontiers, BTB 3-point TTN is almost there, 6-beat corkscrew is close to be being figured out etc etc. So many new shit to try... plus some top secret stuff... heh, can't tell you guys everything :P------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Sweet Jesus!!!I went to my room and spun my zuni's and holy shit guess what!?! 5 reps ( left right left=1 rep) of 5 beat btb face bash weave. I'm so HAPPY!!! I broke the fear and now I just have to get it down perfect. funny thing is, it was easier to learn then the 5 beat shin bash btb weave. You all know how I'm feeling, that new move feeling. Opening new doors and moves up. Damn you phunky, I thought about that also(btb thread the needle) now you're going to make me learn it. See this is what I'm talking about, phunky's always pushing me to new levels. You little bitch, if I ever see you... In all honesty phunky, I want to thank you for pushing me as hard as you have.Eric