Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Lie on the ground and work that six pack!!

Login/Join to Participate

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
I enjoy this lying on the ground move....very good for the abdominal muscles.1.front butterfly standing up2. work the butterfly into overhead butterfly (looks like a helicopter rotar on yer head)3. in this position, get down on your knees4. start leaning back keeping the butterfly in the horizontal position ( which should now be twirling around the stomach area )5. and sit up again (bringing the poi to the helicopter position)easy......ish......good for the gut though.also...try threading the needle when you're led down as well....looks cool

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

courtneemember
37 posts

Posted:
of course. im new to this stuff and am trying to put together routines that are insteresting for my friends, so i come up with this great butterfly variation where i end up on the ground with my legs folded under each other, doing the butterfly overhead and then slowly get back up. so far i hadnt seen it so i thought i mighta come up with something original, but it just seemed too easy to do for that. i was right, two people do it on the circles of light video and in cirque du soleil.. its still an amazing move, and most of the people ive seen do it untuck their legs and sit up that way, whereas i make a point to get up the same way i went down and work the hell outta my abdominals. i find that its more graceful and fluid to get up that way rather than have to jerk my knees out from under my bodyweight :)only variation i do with regards to your description is change the direction of my butterfly from vertical to horizontal slowly, as i sink to my knees. good upper thigh workout there, too.. and the transition is a bit more dramatic.-------------------nee

-nee

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
And...cuing a thread from January....These are several variations of the move you were talking about.I hope you enjoy it and have fun getting them perfect! winkhttps://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000011.html------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Backpacker2kmember
30 posts

Posted:
Jesus!!!!!....Cheers for that Pele.......I'm no Poi master but I'm capable of doing most moves I know of with relative ease and fluidity......But that description!!!! quadraceptic stretch!!!!....wow!!!!!....You've just opened up a whole new avenue for meThanks again!Dan.

ABCDEFG...HIJKLMNOP...QRSTU and V..WXY and Zeeeee.Hey everybody look at me...now I know my ABC!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
boo. the link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Has anyone done anything else (WITH POI you dirty-minded people!) while lying on their backs?

I've tried the butterfly and ttn last night, with sticking up one leg to let one or both poi wrap around it and change direction... it's good fun but I'm not convinced it's looking particularly impressive confused

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

PoiToimember
41 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

boo. the link doesn't seem to work anymore.

Has anyone done anything else (WITH POI you dirty-minded people!) while lying on their backs?

I've tried the butterfly and ttn last night, with sticking up one leg to let one or both poi wrap around it and change direction... it's good fun but I'm not convinced it's looking particularly impressive confused

yeah, I've done the atom, and wrapped my chains around my hands to do the weave and such. it's quite fun...
and when i do it at parties everyone seems to enjoy it, so i bet it looks cool. .
I f i was strong/flexible enough i'd like parallel to the ground with my calfs under my thighs, so my back was a few inches off the ground and then do the over the head butterfly.. that'd be cool.