phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I remember reading somewhere that someone did a 7 beat weave. I think theres two ways of going about this. You can either let it go around your arm for another spin (like a wrap) or deliberately tangle your poi together and then untangle. I think the tangle method would be able to allow for a 9 beat or more move. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I just got the 7 beat weave tonight messin around I think it looks way to technical and would look like you just madly swinging them on one side I doubt they would see it for what it is.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
anything more than a 5 beat weave just doesn't look right, I think when you cross strings and they stay the same distance apart looks sick but unwrapping them, if you can't keep them the same distance apart, isn't great to watch. When you do a wrap to get an extra beat, I feel isn't really an extra beat, I think it's a wrap and should not be counted. But if you do it and like to do it, have fun and don't stop. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
My favorite way of doing a 7 beat weave involves letting go of one of the poi during rotation. It looks bad ass, and I disagree with Myst, I think doing the wrap weave looks nice. I took a poi workshop last week, and the instructor, Dan Holtzman, showed a 7(9?) beat weave using a wrap. I noticed that he wrapped it on the opposite arm that I used. You can actually wrap it on the open arm or the crossed arm, although it looks very similar either way. Also a talked to a yo-yo guru named Ben from California(?). He showed me a few different wraps that I haven't done before, and told me about the tangling the strings together method that you were talking about. Believe it or not, yo-yoers actually do weaves as a two handed yo-yo trick, although they call it something else. I think it's called cross-follow or something like that. Anyway, the tangling method doesn't seem to work very well with my chains. Perhaps it would work better with ropes or something.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I was practicing the move with glowstix today. I prefer the non wrap method because one of the circles it makes goes smaller when you do the weave (ones bigger than the other). So you're left from the spectators point of view that the weave looks uneven. I actually changed my poi to a type of rope instead of chain that i normaly use today. They're really hard to tangle so actually when i did the 7-beat it unwound quite evenly. Just a little more practice and it'll be all good.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
That's what I'm talking about phunky, If you can get it to come out evenly every time, that would be a sick move! Good job and keep practicing. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

clarkeymember
29 posts

Posted:
Don't know how relevant this is but, i am relatively new to the 5/6/7, etc beat weave, and only just comprehended that you have to wrap the poi round you arm. (couldn't do it at all b4)Only when i was trying it last night i encountered a couple of problems, namely that when i tried to wrap the poi i had trouble controlling the number of times its wrapped round my arm, and also i found no matter what side i did it on it always seemed to wrap round my right wrist... weird hey!?If anyone has got an explaination or can tell me where i'm going wrong that would b sweet.Also this twisting the ropes sounds like a good idea, but i don't really understand how that will work...?Easy, TIM(p.s. do u have to wrap the poi to do a 4 beat weave?)

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
no clarkey you dont have to wrap to do a 4-5 beat weave.."S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
I thought the 5 beat weave was called 'the Tangle', I've just been shown another way of doing it, without wraps, if i can combine it with the way i already know I might get the 7 beat, maybe, just maybe...Any ideas for a name for the 7 beat?Axis.

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Here's how I do it, no string-wrapping or tangling necessary:When you do a 5-beat weave (mastering this is a must before trying 7-beats! smile ) you do your regular 3-beats then add more by crossing your wrists, then moving back to the other side, uncrossing the wrists, and then rotating your arms around each other, then crossing at the wrists again, then going back to the other side.To get seven beats, cross at the elbows then the wrists, then get your arms over to the other side of you (this is the hardest part) and unwrap em and then do it again!Will put it on video next time Vees (https://www.vees.net)has his Coolpix 990 handy (which is just about always.. wink )-protie[This message has been edited by protozoa (edited 09 August 2001).]

dances with firemember
2 posts

Posted:
Actually, I think that's a great explanation. I've done the 7-beat with wraps, but hadn't thought of twisting my arms around each other. I can't wait to try.Damn, I knew I should have brought my poi to work today.Billie

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Spanky, if you don't have any thing new to add, please stay on the social board and tell everyone how all the moves discussed here are fake and no one can do them.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Bassmanmember
95 posts

Posted:
Well I don't know what Spanky's intentions were, but I thought that was a pretty f***in' halarious post! *lol*

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I have some videos of 8-beat reverse weaves on my web site (www.flamingsphere.homestead.com , the "cool videos" section has a nice close-up video. For some reason I get 8 beats while only wraping once around my wrist on each side. I have wraped twice on ocation and gotten an insane number of beats (like 12 or something, I dare you to try and count that high, that fast!!!). The wraping poi does speed up as it's chain shortens, but with practice you can flow with it. It helps to spin slowly on double wraps so the wraping poi doesn't get going too fast.Daniel

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I was messing around with a few combos of fwd and reverse weaves and I thought I figured out a 7 beat weave...at least thats what i thought. while doing a fwd weave, swing into a reverse weave to your right or left, let them go one rotation, then tuck and bring back to a fwd weave on the same side, and then pull them over to your opposite side while they are still going forward.they will not tangle as long as you keep them moving from side to side. then its really just a simple combo, but looks really good.....is this the correct name or is it a "fountain" move...i thought i counted 7 beats without having to wrap them.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
I've had what I call the 5 beat weave for a while, which I think is what you call the 7 beat. I wrap at the wrists. If you do it this way, you can also do a reverse version. The trick for me is to start wrapping my wrist as I cross sids, and keep wrapping as it goes across before you start unwrapping. I have also experimented with wrapping the chains on one side ad nauseum, but have never figured out a way to unwrap on the opposite side that looks good. The first side looks good, but the otherside is always pretty dull and lasts too long for me to have stayed interested in the trick. One of my favorite extra-beat tricks it to go into an extra-beat windmill and then down into the extr-beat weave. It looks cool and feels very nice to do.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
actually This

www.flamingsphere.homestead.com

is a 5 beat weave..

The rule is, one joint for two.. the "3" at the shoulders, the "5" beat at the elbows, and the "7" beat at the wrists.. and a "9" at the finger tips (over under like your crossing your fingers, takes alot of finger strength, or really light poi..)

a good starting point is watch the Kato Vs Jo, battle on the COL3 video, the little bald one, wraps his 5 beat on his elbows.. I think it's durring his second go at it.. Also it is easy to start by going from r-5b-elbows, to over the head 7b-wrists to f-5b-elbows, turn 90-180 degrees depending on your flexablity.. just to make you realize that the 7b is on the wrists. it feels like you are all wrapped up and doing a three beat with your wrists. But ofcourse this is not balanced and needs to be brought down to your sides. and such for the "basic" move.. lol.. pun intended.

AND IT'S NOT 5 until you do it the same on the left and the right and back to the starting poistion at the left again.. or what ever direction you start first. Other wise you'd get even numbers.

And everyone knows there are no even numbers when you are counting in 4/4.. actually I don't think the counting thing ever made since, because its an over-under at each join, which to me is 2 4 6 8, I like a little chaos, so blah..

Silly people can only count in odd numbers. Must be a metric thing..

-nasu

DJ-5Lmember
24 posts

Posted:
I truly think that a 5 beat weave is enough. Therefore, here forward I must agree that a wrap is a wrap is a wrap.... No wrap intertwined with another move can be considered an extra beat... It's like taking two 12" offsetting one of them to add another count to the build up.. it's just another trick.

What is your Theme song?

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
hey good work phunky, i remember that to do the 9 weave we always used to find it a lot easier to take a step forward at the appropriate time (im still spouting the same crap), not a big one, even a sort of 1/2 step helps out by changing the angle of your shoulders. we used to do it by stepping forward with the right foot as you brought the poi over from the right side to the left :-)

one small step for poi kind........

nasumember
35 posts

Posted:
I agree, a wrap does not count..

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I’ve edited this a bit because I was not happy yesterday.

Anyhow, Axis, I know this is an old post, but just to clear up a bit of confusing nomenclature “The Tangle and Tie The Knot” are old Indian club terms, and refer to tangling limbs and not strings/chains.

Great tips nasu. I don't think the counting thing ever made since either. Jo vs Kato is my favourite clip on col 3 and I sincerely hope Mr Kato is not offended by your description of him. I need to watch the video again, but when you use the term wrap, do you mean strings or limbs? ie. he wraps his 5 beat on his elbows.

I’m not that fussed about getting the 7-beat weave, I’m more interested in getting a good flow b/t different parts of the body, like behind the hips, up under the arm pits, behind the neck.

Cheers

[ 14 August 2002, 15:17: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

DJ-5Lmember
24 posts

Posted:
If your doing a wrap on a five beat it seems as though that would count as nothing more than a reversal.. Or maybe I'm just reading you wrong. And why does everybody in the midwest have such a kaotic style? for some reason I have yet to see a pattern of organized moves out here, or maybe i'm just watching the wrong people.

What is your Theme song?

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Im agree with myst
more than 5 beats doesnt look good

I saw a friend that used to poi that did 7 beats but dunno in my opinion it looked kinda horrible
like if he was forcing the poi didnt look fluidity like it should be...

Dance like if noone were watching you

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Whoa, this is a really old thread of mine. There's a time and place for every move. Just because it my look bad or forced doesn't mean with a little practice a non wrapping 7-beat weave or whatever will look just as good. I personally think the arm position you have to go into makes it look awkward. But it's also different enough that when your spinning infront of an audience, regular people will notice your doing something different. Unlike the difference between a weave and a 5-beat weave which is hardly noticeable to spectators.