Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > mess'n with the butterfly lastnight.

Login/Join to Participate

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Doing a reverse butterfly, i splitimed it and moved my hands upward making theBF spin horizontally. But the Bf is not flat. It is creating an atom shape around me. My hands are bout chin high. Now i raised them and put my hands behind my head still in split time. The Poi are travelling parallel to my back while behind my head.. Then i bumped it into a standard A-T-head BF. From there you can just take it back in front of you and youll be in a forward BF. ahhhh discovery....Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Most of the people i've run into like to call it x'ing. It's an odd move i think. I bust out btb weaves and 5-beats i get no reaction from the crowd. When i start spinning fast and do x'ing there jaw drops. "OMG, its like an orbit around your head!". Heh. What else you can try is instead of an X shape try to mold it in to a + shape so one is completely horizontal and the other is vertical.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i know what ya mean..it does seem the simplest movements get the most reaction sometimes.when ido this move in front of people they ask more questions about the "x" pattern than they they do about the technically hard part when i bump it into a above the head BF.amazing."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hehe I love that move however it's still being a bitch to me. Getting into it and holding it is no problem, that comes when I wanna move onto something else the only way I've managed to get out of it is droping into a low-wave which I think is weird having them drop so fast. but it works and I'll prolly keep doin it that way. Btw I call it the atom :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Isn't the so-called " atom" actually the Helicopter? Bugger me, all these names are damn confusing, has anyone thought of making some kind of mathsy-ish system for numbers of beats, positions, directions etc?I just dumped studying maths properly but philosophy of Maths is approaching with the new term - I'll see if I can get my head around this system thing...p_g

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I thought about that once but there are just WAY too many things you can do with poi to describe it like that.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i can do that one pretty easybut how is that dude...5 BTB reverse weave and no reaction of the crowd... omfg.... that move is soo hard!! that would make reaction from me... i mean that atom move is really simple... anyways i really dont know.... i havent do it with crowd and stuff maybe just around my friends tho... i guess when i learn a bit more i will appear on one of those nightclubs here that ppl does poi =) i wanna see if that true about the crowd getting exited from a simple move and not exited from a difficult move(at least to me...) the BTB reverse weave...(still trying...) lol i just can do the simple 5 beats weave i also need to buy glowsticks and watch how it goes... can you bealive me i never does it with shinning glowsticks(i mean new ones)...???? lol i know how to do almost everytrick in this page and i haveng buy any glowsticks... i do poi with some pois a created to practice but to tell ya the truth they are old glowstikcs that doesnt shine anymore tho hehe (Since i saw that buying a glowstick to practice like nah...) but i will buy one tomorrow to see =) and do it to see what the crowd think i wanna see if they get impressed with simple move more than harder moves... tho [This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 04 August 2001).]

Dance like if noone were watching you

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Dude, that is such a true statment. I do all sorts of hard shit and not a word from the crowd, ok maybe a couple "what the fucks" and "how the hell is he doing that's" but as soon as someone bends over or leans back in the slightest way, the crowd is all up on their nuts. This is why I find all the spinners in the house and spin with them, they can appreciate the effort it takes to learn some of these moves. I used to be shy and unable to spin in front of people, but now I'll jump into a huge circle and tear some shit up. And as for those people who don't appreciate what you are doing with you're sticks, wait till they pick them up and try what you were doing, they'll think back and say "damn, I should have watched that guy closer instead of watching that one guy do fucking butterflys over his head". Superman, you know I don't mean any disrespect, I know you're a great spinner. It wasn't a comment about your move but about the audienceEric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
LoL....yeah i know that... but at least the ppl i did it in front they dont say a shit cause they know they cant do it... and of course if they wanna do any of those move i teach them how to do it... but like i said i never did it with crowd just with my friends... ummm i wanna do the BTB reverse weave before doing it on crowd i wanna see the reactions to see if they get more like ohhhhhhh for the BTB weave 5 beats or for the simple move of the atom... =/this is interesting... i pretty do it tho thats why i never did it with crowd but i will like to enjoy it and also ppl that seems that like it too huh? =) and apreciate what i am doing...jeez a question... does any of you got the roof of yer house like shit for doing this like me?? lol i do my practice inside my house when im bored on the afternoons... jeez if i ever did that out of here the sun will burn you ;p the sun is really nazty here;(

Dance like if noone were watching you

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I was playin with the butterfly last night and came up with a move that just looks sicking. Started with a forward butterfly on my right then switched it to a reverse butterfly on my left. After acouple hours of practice with it I managed to get them moving into one-bear per side. I don't even know how to explane the hand movements, but it just feels wrong to be able to do such a thing. Btw the timing needs to be *perfect* if your a split second off they tangle horriably.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
i know the move you're talking about. It took along ass time to get it down good. A move you should try next is doing that on the other side. You'll then realize unless you change which hand leads you're going to have to cross your hands to get one beat on each side.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Messed with it more today. I tried that out and found that an OTH BF works to switch lead hands. So now it's leftside, infront, OTH, infront, rightside. Working on polishing up my BTB BF so I can throw that in there too.------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"