Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > weave from outta space or mistake ?

Login/Join to Participate

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi there,I don't post much in the move section cause it usually is too technical for me to understand the level of language. But... eeeer, dunno where to begin and how exactly I should describe what I want... but I'll give it a try anyway...If I spin one hand forward, one hand in reverse, can I do the weave or even the 5 beat weave ? I recently managed to do something which looked like a weave but a. it felt really weird and not "natural"b. couldn't see myself , but my guess is that it was maybe not worth all the bruises frown I just hope someone sees what I am talking about ... winkshine oncassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 26 July 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i want to say no..mainly because i have tried it many times out of curiosity myself. it seems like it could, but then you try it and the mechanics make it impossible. "S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't think it's possible, but you can do a "lateral butterfly" that is similar to what you are describing. Just start doing a regular butterfly, and rotate your body 90° while holding your hands in place. It is possibly to cross your hands in front of your body and do it on the other side--try crossing your hands separately at first, but eventually you'll figure out the timing to cross them together.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Hey Cassandra, It sounds to me like you're doing a Thread The Neadle weave (TTNW), which is very possible. If you spin one hand forward and one in reverse when you cross one over it will make a butterfly on that side. If you are doing a butterfly on your left side, cross your left hand across your body first followed one beat by your right hand, now bring your right hand back to your left side followed one beat by your left hand, now just repeat. It's 1 beat (circle) on it's own side and two beats (circles) on the opposite. See it yet. This would be my guess to what you are doing. I may be wrong, either way I'm sure what you are doing looks good, even if you don't know what it is.EricHappy late birthday Cassandra

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

4,224 posts

Posted:
Ok, Ok .... Supe, you are right, in my mind it seemed doable, but never feels natural in practice.Adam, yes, I know what you mean and enjoy doing it allready, thank you.Myst, I know what you mean like a transition move from one butterfly to the other side. But it is not exactly what i meant (or is it ? I actually have to print this and then go home and then do what you are saying to see how similar it is...)thanks for trying to understand me though winkAnd Myst, thanks for the late happy birthday ! smileShine onCassandra

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yep,Its one of my favourites, So it better be possibleI commically call it "cross don't follow"You can do it in 2 different times, the thread the needle (push throughs) time is the one that is more unnatural If your board For fun, also try doing the reverse. so then you can do the equivalent of weave to reverse weave (cross-follow to reverse cross-follow). And if you still not had enough, its pretty sweat behind your backenjoy the head fuk and keep swinging Drew

4,224 posts

Posted:
Drew, I'll make sur to work on that then ...did you hear that Superman ????Let's Goooooooooooooooooshine oncassandra

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Hey cool! Old skool butterfly weave conversations.

well, from 3 years ago anyway. Thats old skool for HoP.

and yet PoiboxII was saying the other day that there still isn't agreement on what exactly Butterfly Weave is..?

surely that can't be right.

"No, it can't be right.
And don't call me Shirley."

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
My dear lord. Someone send this post into orbit please. I cant even imagine a time when no one knew what a butterfly weave was smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It was before you were born. wink

Back when people wore pajamas and lived life slow.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
::Removes his pajamas hoping no one saw::

Hahah, pajamas... Who wears those things these days!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PsychoTronicstranger
80 posts

Posted:
hey, hello!
I had a lot of time to see you here,maybe because I am not reading all the posts.Hope you are fine:)
I am going to try out what you said but I dont like the title you gave at your post: weave from outta space or mistake.... Since you managed to do that it is from earth thats 4 sure and it is not a mistake...!Way to go Cass hug
many hugs and kisses weavesmiley

"For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes,
a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous."
"Put out the torches! Hide the moon! Hide the stars!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i miss cass way too much, remembers these old times so well, now its all full of people.