pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okay i know theres a whole dabate on wraps, i just wanted to see how many wraps the more experienced fire dancers like to do? a couple a whole lot. i know it is all preference, just wanted to see who prefers what. oh yeah and thanks to all the performers who built and keep this site alive. love coming here smile

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Poz,I think it depends on how many different ones you know...and the style of your dancing smileI dont know all that many wraps (thigh, calf, wrist and shoulder are about it) and I try to keep a flow to my sets...so I dont do all that many, cuz I think they tend to chop it up.I also think with fire, if you are good with wraps they are more impressive if you only do em every so often, save them for the prime opportunities...So yeah...I think they can be overdone, but I also think that they are wicked for transitions...Josh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't use wraps a lot, and I don't have a lot of variety. I do use thigh-wraps to change direction, and to a lesser extent, as moves unto themselves (chicks seem to dig it when you wrap both your chains through your crotch). I've been practicing bicep-wraps, but haven't tried them with fire yet. Same with wrist-wraps.Like anything else, the trick is in doing it smoothly to make it look good. When a firedancer can drop a wrap in without disrupting the tempo, it looks great.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hi pozee,sorry to interfere, can't say I am that experienced, however wraps is definitely one of my great fun . the bicep wraps which adamrice mentions are great smile and pretty easy too with fire (just remember to wear long sleeves (spelling ??? pardon my english) cause it burns !!! allthough I remember pele saying she does it on bare skin and seeing hephaestos doing it without T shirt on in the Circle of light video... I am a chicken, not ready for that yet !!! winkMy personal favourite is simultaneous bicep and leg wrap, looks nice and feels great with fire !!!all time most impressive I guess (and painfull if you miss) is neck wrap !nice combination is bicep wrap into butterfly and then throw one in the air , catch it make 45° turn and it becomes the weave.shine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 21 July 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i taught myself one combo wrap,i think i can only do 3 total. Im working on a few more. I know Myst has some nice ones that he likes to do BTB and shit...more advanced type stuff."S"------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
YAY Wraps!I like them. I think that just about any part of the body can be wrapped with practice,not taking facial features into accoutn obviously, from behind or in front. I don't think though that a routine need one of every kind of wrap. Like Josh said they can be overdone, and so, for best effect need to be used in moderation. My fav wraps are to cross your arms in figure 8 motion and wrap the chains around your waist so the wicks bump your butt. You can also crotch wrap, where the chains go through "there" and again hit your bum or lower back...this you can step over and turn out of for nice body dynamic. Alternate shoulder wraps (left from in front and right from behind, etc...)are nice. A nice one but takes lots of practice (I am still practicing *sigh*) is with longish poi drop them behind you over your shoulder (ie: for bth butterfly, mex wave, etc) Bend your leg up behind you and wrap back there, it's good for changing direction to go into overhead things.Hope this helps. Have fun!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thenks everyone for their input. last night i shortened my chains(for the ease of quicker wraps) and did a whole dance almost completely with wraps. i did almost every wrap that i know, which is actually quite a few, and josh was right. wraps are very nice looking and the people watching seem to love it, but it just seems that they do get a little over done. i think it is better to go on doing just regular moves and then throw in a few wraps when they are least expected. and that feels wierd for me to say because i always thought that it was all the wraps i like to do that gives me a different style. i would like to think that a lot of my wraps are almost original. who knows though. if anyone wants to talk wraps and give me some pointers please write back or e-mail at poseymj@3maw.usmc.mil once again thanks to all

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Shit yeah Pozee! I'll talk Wraps with you smiletell me what you want to know (I may not be able to answer, but I can try! smile)And tell us the fire wraps you do, so we can compare notes...Josh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okay i am kind of new at explaining how to do wraps, but here it goes2hand bfly, wrap the right hand poi on the left arm and the left poi on the right leg simoultaneously then wrap them both underneat the right leg, then wrap the right had poi on the left leg and the left poi on the right arm again at the same time then wrap both underneath the left leg. you can obviously stop anywhere in the middle to bring it to something else.next one do the 1hand bfly then invert your arm and wrap it on your bicep of the same arm that is holding them.2hand bfly to alternating wrist wraps right, left, right, left so on.doing the forward weave when your right hand comes to the right side of the body, turn head 90 degrees right do a neck wrap and at the same time wrap the left one under the left leg.2hand bfly invert the arms and wrap on both arms, you can also then bring them up to wrap around the neck.btbweave (the one where you start out in the regular rev. weave) wrap on the left arm once from underneath once from above then bring that arm in front to wrap the left arm and at the same time wrap the left poi on the right leg, then bring the right arm back behind wrap one more time on the left arm and at the same time wrap the left poi on the left leg again.(can be done on either sides.one handed bfly to arm then leg then neck1hand bfly horizontal obove head wrap the neck then the leg then back to the neck.(this can also be done with 2 hands to wrap both legs instead of just one) 1hand bfly (pretend its in the right hand) stick your left arm straight out behind you and bring the butterfly behind your head and wrap.well that is a couple of the ones i really like. i would really like some input or variations for new ones. i have been doing this for awhile but just recently found this place. love it!!! great to have some kind of community of people with the same interests and passione as me. well hope you all can help. oh yeah there is this one wrap that i saw once, still havent really got it but that is from not practicing it, he was doing the bfly behind the head and the he wrapped the right poi on the left wrist looked really neat, have to try that one again. later

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Poz,that sounds great! are you going to come to SF for our fire twirling meetup?I dont think I've seen anyone do some of the wraps you are talking about...and I'd love to see them!Josh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey josh, i would love to come up there. i will try, i dont exactly know the area. but i am sure i could figure it out. do you think i should try to do a small video and send it in? i dont know, i would really like for some ppl to see the wraps, i know they would love them and maybe be able to learn a little. hope you could understand the way i tried to explain them. for me i kind of need a visual aid. well i hope to make it to SF to dance with all these wonderful people

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey again Poz,I definitely think you should do a vid smilemake it short and sweet, follow the guidelines on the video page for how to make your video, and try and keep it very clear...you could ask Malcolm directly also;info@homeofpoi.comDo a search on 'Video' and you will get some results on how to shoot a good video. Personally I like seeing video that is with fire poi at night, but with some light around so that you can see whats going on smileI cant talk - all the video I've been involved in has been...well quite amateur in comparison to some of the more professional videos ppl have done over the years...Josh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
thanks josh. i appreciate the point in the right direction for the vids. can everyone understand the wraps that i wrote about? do you like them? any variances you might want to add. i hope you all like them, if you all want more ways to do them and others like them just ask. have a great night, or day wherever you are.

anyone got a light?