Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 360 turn whilst doing overhead butterfly

Login/Join to Participate

kingmember
15 posts

Posted:
Alright people, my fellow Poists, begginers, amatures, and profesionals, what we have here is a move that can be done, but takes a lot of OOOOuuuuuuch!!! and pain, but then again what move does not. In Anycase, this move involves doing the normal front Butterfly, and whilst taking it to the overhead butterfly one lifts one leg up whilst rotating on the other focal pivot leg and twisting around to finish back at the normal front butterfly. I must admit , it is an outstanding move to pull doing it with fire. Let me know when anyone masters this one.King

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
king,ok... I can do a 360 but I am not sure if I am doing it the same way as you are. I start in a regular butterfly, and as they are coming up I turn 180 (at 90 degrees of my turn the poi are directly over head) the poi reach the bottom of the swing I start to turn again (poi at top of circle again at 270 dregrees from start)What it translates to is doing a 180 into a reverse butterfly, but instead of staying there I keep turning until I am back at the start. When I do it my hands pass on one side of my body somewhere between chest and eye level (depending on my mood)Is this what you were talking about, king?Daniel

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

kingmember
15 posts

Posted:
DNot exactly. The whole movement is a smooth transition from a bounce of the front buterfly, to a bounce of the overhead back to a bounce of the front buterfly. The rotation is closely related to a ballette dancer doing a twirl, or an ice scater doing a twirl. Your arms go up once and down once, and on the way up you start the turn. By the way, do you know how to do the reverse butterfly thred the needle? This move is equally dificult to master.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
King,do you actualyl turn while your poi are in the behind head position? or are you putting it behind your head, turning 360, bringing em back?BTW- I'm not even close to doing consistent turns with the butterfly behind my head, but I can do a reverse TTN in my sleep - perhaps I'm getting your description wrong? cuz what I think you are describing sounds really really fuckin hard winkJosh

Blue Phreakmember
5 posts

Posted:
This 360 turn is i think whats confusing everyone im a little confused myself. from what it sounds like u are jumping up in the air and turning 360 b4 u land and while doin that ur going from forward butterfly to reverse and back let me know if im rightBlue

kingmember
15 posts

Posted:
People, people, as one swings up to do the overhead, turn! In the process of turning, the poi equipment and strings do not hit each other due to the momentum originated from the movement. If one was to visualize it, it will not look like the poi does an overhead exactly because you are moving while doing it. I think it is hard to explain if not viewed in real life, so I apologise for my lack of discription for this move. It is a little like the 5 beat which is only achieved through a lock of the wrists and movement to the right or left respectively depending on which side and which hand does 3 beats. When I gain some more software on my system i will show it off to you guys.Blue Break... You do not finish with a reverse buterfly, no my friend you finish with the normal forward butterfly.King[This message has been edited by king (edited 19 July 2001).]

Angelmember
10 posts

Posted:
Right...just whacked meself in the eye while trying it at my desk with rulers....HEHEHEHEHE...*Looks into crystal ball*I forsee more bruises to my head and neck area in the future*grynne*Sounds like a cool move though.

*HEDONISM*

shevamember
3 posts

Posted:
hi kingbeen tryin your move and wanna know if you do the turn realy realy fast or maby the whole thing is the hands moovment???cool move, help me do it rightsheva

kingmember
15 posts

Posted:
Hey Sheva,It is a fast move done with carress and flow. One movement, quick turn and voila, ce bon. I like to pull this move at parties when people least expect it. I will be getting a computer soon and I think that the best way that I can explain it is through a video because it is far too hard to explain as i have already tried. I do however think that you have the concept down, just think of it as when you go up to do the overhead buterfly, rotate 360 and at the end of the turn bring your poi set back down to the starting butterfly. Capish.King