Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Double Fire Ball Staff Start

Login/Join to Participate

Belgarathmember
51 posts

Posted:
Just learnt a great way to start off a routine with the staff, instead of shaking excess fuel form the staff just dip and light so the wicks are still driping hold the staff horozontaly in front of your body with your hands palm to palm in the center of the staff, now snap the staff into the air with your bottum hand while slideing you top hand forward rolling it out of your hands, this spinning motion forces the extra fuel out of the wicks creating an awsome double fire ball.For better results fuel fuel fuel the more the better have it dripping.Let the wicks burn for at least 30 seconds first as this lets the fuel heat up and burn better in the air.Spin the shaft as fast as posible for huge fire ballsCaution: If you throw the staff above your head during this trick dont look up as a shower of fuel will get you straight in the eyes!!!Tell me what you guys think about this one!

The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Hi Belgarath and welcome.I think that most of us actually use the trick you mentioned from time to time, but thanks very much for your input!It's great to see another staffer on the BB - there's waaaay to many poiers. winkI look forward to more posts from you.flashThe Staff Purist------------------"she dances in a ring of fire and throws off the challenge with a shrug"

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Heh, that's one of my fave staff tricks. ;-)Only I do it a little bit differently -- I hold the staff with my arms about 18 inches apart, palms up, and generate the spinning motion with a flick of the wrist as the staff rolls from the heel of my palm off the fingertips.Now, if you *really* want to see an impressive fireball, do this same move with white gas instead of kerosene. Whoah baby!-p.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
This is definitley my best crowd pleasing move (pity it's so easy to do).There's heaps of variations to it, one handed, two handed (usually bigger fireballs), and I'm working on a "snap the fingers move", where I roll the staff between my thumbs and fingers like the Fonz. Not a huge fireball, but the image and the small explosions look pretty cool.As for staff, I find this BB a little frustrating due to the number of poi posts i have to wade through to find staffers. How about suggesting a seperate staff and poi category, expecially in the technical discussions...CharlesPS why doesn't every staffer list their favourite three moves, we may know some of them but there would be a lot we could all learn from each other...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Sinthiamember
2 posts

Posted:
Sounds cool, thanks for the tip.Another one that I did accidently recently, which also requires really wet wicks and white gas: Light one end of the staff. Hold with one hand and slowly slowly start spinning. Don't grip too tightly. If there's enough fuel on your wicks, a stream of fire will run down the length of the staff and light the wick on the other side. ~Sinthia

~Sinthia

SilverOnymember
9 posts

Posted:
Ya! Staffers. One of my favorite moves (I don't know the name of it) But what I do is spin with one hand and then I start turning and changing back and forth from forward spin to backwards spin. This makes things really chaotic... good eye candy. I also like doing continuous tosses so that as soon as it touches my hands, its going in the air again. People watching it look like they're watching a tennis match on a vertical plane. Heh. I've been spinning staff for about a year and I didn't even know about poi until about 3 months ago. Poi is fun... I dabble a bit but the staff is more challenging I feel.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Well I went out and made myself a staff today. I'm dripping with sweet I've never sweet this bad with poi and I'm normally all for speed with them. :P Sin How do you keep the trail of fire from going over your hands?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim Morrison

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think the trail is supposed to go inside a hollow staff...works for me smileoften I get a flameout on one end...I spin it around a bit and pop! its a burning again smile)Josh

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
try this out...dip both ends of a staff really well, then light one end.hold the staff vertically between your two hands with the burning head at the top.throw it vertically up spinning it... basically a sideways burnoff... but the tric is, if you spin it fast enough and throw it high enough... the other end lights from the fireball!This is a really neat way to light the other end, crowd loves it, especially if you go straight into a rapid three finger twirl then a spinning toss straight after you catch it smilealso, instead of catching a toss, try bouncing it off your foot wink tends to bend the staff though------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!B l A c K i E

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
After experiments last night, burnoff is fun, but severely reduces burn time.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
damn. never even heard of burn-offs. i have had the spontaeously lighting opposite end thing happen before though. i call it a staff fart. i like the sound of the trick where you light one end the whip it up and the fire ball lights the other end. i don't do many tosses though. one more thing to practice. as for my three fave staff moves:two-handed over the head action. grip the staff horizontally with both hands facing down. now do a windmill. basic but sexy. one to two handed grip transitions make people blink.gripping the staff near one end and doing giant horizontal sweeping circles while whipping your body around. i have a big staff where one end broke off. i was going to rewick it, but now that i've played with it a bit, i really like having only one end wicked. it's opened a whole crate of new moves.double shoulder roll. spinning a forewards figure-8 in front of you, put in into a shoulder roll. then recover that into a waist wrap, then into another shoulder roll on the other side. maybe thow a neck wrap in there too somewhere.i also like doing figur-8s behind my back. i have 1, 3, and 5 beat btb figure-8s down pat.don't even get me started with double staff. i don;t think i can explain any of that shit in text.yeah staff!------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Oops, Maybe I started a thread that should be a seperate one. Guess it doesn't matter, with staffers like us we're probably going to check this thread a lot anyway...Moving into the three fav moves area.1. Neck catch while spinning, then release to roll down my right arm and lifting my arm to finish with a palm spin. Still mess it up a few times but the crowd doesn't know it was supposed to end in a palm spin smile2. Close body spins, with lots of sharp twists and turns, love ducking it under my arm so half of the staff rolls across my back. Most of this is done with me moving around and the staff just doing its own thing...3. Fireballs/burn-off. so simple, so cool, so much fun, so easy (can't complain really).Maybe my fav moves are a little boring, but I rate most of them by crowd reaction, and find the really tricky stuff, the crowd doesn't even notice.Except when I do firestaff on my unicyle, then they are impressed, but I still come off everynow and then, so it's not a fav move just yet.Peas, Loaf and Dungbeans...------------------Charleshttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

dub_monstermember
2 posts

Posted:
just been spinnin for a couple of months but I loveTossing, specialy for 1080+ degrees (3/4 turns) just stroking it into the air feels beutifull.Slow, slow dance as smooth as possible, nothing too hard but everything smoooooooth as.side to side backwards (like with the thing goin for ya head), it is simple as but feels just great.spose at this stage im going for waht feels good, gotta try this btb with the staff, body rollin sounds fun tooLove yaDub1. Spin is sacred2. From spin comes clonk, therefore clonk is sacred3. Clonk is inevitable, therefore only the foolish fear clonk4. To move with spin anything is possible, to move against enshures clonk5. only the foolish invite clonk

Theomember
19 posts

Posted:
Haven't been spinning much lately because winter sucks arse but now spring's turned up i'm back into it, yay. Gotta get more grip tape too, my knuckles are raw as.3 Moves I love,1. bending forward doing a sort of horizontal windmill then bending right the fuk back so my torso's almost parallel to the ground to do a sort of helicopter spin. A bit hard to describe but it looks good.2. going under the leg to a throw. It only looks good if i catch it, which is not as often as i'd like, but the momentum usually leads on to another nice move 3. Flameballs, i like them too. ------------------"That is perfect. This is perfect. Perfect comes from perfect. Take perfect away from perfect, the remainder is perfect. May peace and peace and peace be everywhere."Sweet :)

That is perfect. This is perfect. Perfect comes from perfect. Take perfect away from perfect, the remainder is perfect. May peace and peace and peace be everywhere. :)

Argistofstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hellow, Im a n00b staff dancer and was wondering if anyone had any links to good sites (tutorials) on how to do some other good crowd pleasers? (i know some basic stuff but im teaching my self so any help is appricieated)

~Argo~

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
ok ive just browsed through this thread (most of it not makig sense as i dont do staff yet ). now i have two questions,
1. why is this in poi moves?
2. is there a way to get the fireball with poi?(maybe thats why this is in poi moves)

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Matthew_NeSILVER Member
Northeast USA Firespinner
122 posts

Posted:
Well, to answer your question about why this is in poi moves, the first post was in 2001.. before there were different sections for each art. Second, yes, there is a way to get fireballs with poi also.

Step 1: Dip your poi (preferably in white gas) and let them soak.. for a loooong time.

Step 2: Light

Step 3: When you have lighted them, move your poi in an underhand whipping motion, and snap it back. This will create a semi-large fireball, while spraying most of the excess fuel off.

WARNING: MAKE SURE YOUR CHAIN IS VERY SECURE BEFORE ATTEMPTING. IF YOU USE BALLCHAIN, ATTEMPT AT THE RISK OF A POI HEAD FLYING OFF..

Really, it happened to me. Ballchain just snapped in half

Enjoy!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
1 - a long long time ago, in a New Zealand far, far away, there was a young forum that only had a poi discussion area.
2 - the 'burnoff' move -the name it is most often is referred to as- is possible wif poi, but i can only do so with a head balanced like a double-headed poi, because they can be spun off in a 'lasso'-like manner.
3 - there is no third point.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by dub_monster:
Tossing, specialy for 1080+ degrees (3/4 turns) just stroking it into the air feels beutifull.

I was laughing at this post untill I realised it was me that posted it!

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
Though I mainly use poi now I have a few moves with the staff that might be interesting.

1. I do a neck roll that i let roll down my shoulder then I pop it off my elbow cathching it and bringing it into a waist roll and one more time around the neck for good measure.

2. I call it a backscratcher. Its kind of an over the head figure 8 where one end of the staff comes in front of you and then the back end dips behind your head.

3. This one is a bit difficult on fire but still looks cool. you bring it around the front of you and roll it back to where it hits the inside of your elbow and stops. Then you whip it around your arm spin it behind your back and let it hit the inside of your other elbow and stop. The your bring it back around front for a spin.

I find that stops kind of break up the circles and make it a little more interesting.

Always Beautiful

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
heh, you said stroking...

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
careful now, you don't wanna go blind!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
if youre looking for a nifty way to light the staff search for hand transfers, im sure theyer on the boards somewhere, if no detailed explanation is found PM me...

theyre fun...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!