JeannieGOLD Member
18 posts

Posted:
Okay, so I had a dream last night about poi... I used to be heavy into gymnastics, but I'm so out of shape I couldn't possibly do this move... maybe if I stretch out, I could manage it in a few months, but for now, it's just a dream turned idea.Have you ever watched professional gymnastics, like at the olympics or something? There's one event called the Mat, which is basically just showing off on a big empty mat, either alone, or with a prop, like a ribbon or a ball.Anyway, I dreamed I was a gymnast, and instead of using a ribbon, I was using poi- adapting the usual gymnastics moves to the technique for twirling poi. It was all very beautiful, but one move I remember especially was this: A normal, forwards butterfly, then slowly, tilting backwards from the waist, bringing the poi up so that you're facing the celing, doing a forward butterfly. Then, (for the really limber) bringing your hands farther back, and tilting your head back so that your head is now UPSIDE DOWN, facing the back wall. You are (from your perspective) still doing the same forward butterfly. I think I could get that much to work in the waking world, but here's where the dream gets REALLY gymnast-y. At this point, (in the dream) you are standing on one leg, the other leg bent. In one quick move, at the point where the poi are closest to the floor, you snap your body up so that you are now standing vertical, snap your leg straight up, toes pointed to the sky, and move the poi around your body (left to the left, right to the right) so that you are again doing a forward butterfly in front of you. Now, you can bring your leg down through the butterfly, while the poi are farthest from your sides. Okay, so I grant that it sounds unreal, impossible. But wouldn't it be awesome if you COULD? grinJeanniePS- I'm afraid this one is for the female firedancers. Men would just look too silly. ------------------"É preciso amar as pessoas como seNão houvesse amanhã." We must love as if there was no tomorrow.

É preciso amar as pessoas como se
Não houvesse amanhã.
We must love as if there was no tomorrow.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
That would be the shit to see someone pull it off! I know there are a couple of people (guys) that do rolls, cartwheels, backbends, and other basic gymnast-type moves while spinning. Since you use to do that type stuff. i would stretch-out, and try to start incorporating it into your sets. You do not see it very often, and when you do, the person is usually a hired performer.I think you should go for it Jeannie. You could be on your way to developing your own style.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain