adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
OK, a windmill is sorta like a weave, right? And it is possible to do a weave turn, so it should be possible to do a windmill turn.It is. So far I've only worked out two permutations. I will try to describe.Start off doing a clockwise windmill. That is, the wicks go right-to-left across your face at the bottom of their arcs. When your hands are behind your head, turn 180° to the left. You sort of follow them around. You should now be doing a counter-clockwise windmill. When your hands are behind your head again, you can turn to the right and get back to your starting place. The important thing to remember is that, from a fixed observer's point of view, your chains are going in the same direction throughout.When done correctly, this move feels kind of weird. When done incorrectly, you get a poi in the face, or you wind up adding some extra motion in the middle so that you wind up changing your chains' directions. It seems like it should be possible to work in turns opposite the ones I mentioned above, but I haven't figured them out yet.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Rockin.some things I've been thinking about lately which relate to your kind of thinking.its possible to turn while doing a butterfly. Why not turn while its behind your head? why not turn while its behind your butt?I'm thinking these things are totally possible. (I'm hanging for Jo to show me it on the video) just technically difficult.Anyhow smileI'm going to try that move. tonight if it's not raining.Josh

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Along the lines of turning when a butterfly is behind your head, lately I've been trying to do a behind the head butterfly, then turn my body and end up doing a normal butterfly.I like it because its an interesting way to transition into a butterfly.

Warrenmember
12 posts

Posted:
The turning while doing a butterfly is definitely possible. I've found a couple of ways to pull it off. One is to just turn say to your left while moving your left hand to the left side of your body, and then on the next beat moving your right hand to meet it. If you want to turn while doing a butterfly in just one beat I've found the best way is to do it over your head. Only thing to watch out for is to make sure your hands stay in the same position on each side (same hand you keep on top and in front stays on top and in front). You can do the over the head turn while doing a one-handed butterfly as well.Here's a random quick question. I am working with a tight budget and wanted to know what everyone thinks is the best material to use for strings for glowsticks? I used this one string a little while ago that broke at least 2943587293487329 times and gave me just as many cuts on my arms. I'm currently using shoelace but was curious to know if anyone had some incredible material they use?

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i thpught the same thing, but i really didnt approach it very system matically, i just tried to turn and see what happened...all i can say is, "OUCH"..And [josh] i have tried that move many times, and it technically seems to work, but the problem i have when i try it, is that the poi seem to always end up at a wierd angle that causes them to collide..but here is the kicker, i have done it bfore (very slopply) with one hand BF. i do it forward, then turn so its on my right side, palm up, then i take it over my head when the Poi are on the upswing, not when they get to the top. then if i time it right, i can keep the poi traveling almost completely vertical, so that they dont hit each other. And of course your hand flips over when you do this. The coolest andthe hardest thing about POI, is that there is a point in time during every move ment, when you canchange its direction smoothly. But it is like trying to shift with out using the clutch. I want to work on the Windmill. theres got to be a way."S"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Another way to turn in a butterfly is to do a "protie"--a reach-around butterfly (where you bring one hand behind your back, and reach around your body with the other hand). Then just follow your hands around.When just getting started with this move, it helps to do one hand first, wait a beat, then follow with the other. But once you are comfortable with it, you can do both on the same beat.It seems like it should be possible to turn while doing a butterfly behind the head, but I haven't managed it. But from a behind the butt butterfly? I don't see it. Your body would get in the way. Either you'd have drop into a crouch as you came around, jump over one arm, or bring one arm all the way around the body. And being triple-jointed would help. So I guess it technically might be possible, but it wouldn't exactly be a smooth transition--it would be a stunt in its own right.[This message has been edited by adamrice (edited 10 July 2001).]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Adam,youd have to do it when both poi were either at the top (crossing) or at the bottom (crossing). at that point it is possible to step around the butterfly - I think.I just dont see why it would be possible to do it in front of the body and not behind.I want my practice poi! ARGH smileI can turn a butterfly while keeping my wrists in *almost* contact, with a bit of work I'm sure it's possible to turn your body through 180 degrees without pulling your wrists apart, and while keeping them centred.Are you going to be in Austin spinning mid August? I'll be popping through Texas on a whirlwind tour of the mid-west around then (hooking up with Superman in Houston too hopefully) and I'd love to catch up for a twirl...Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think that turning them while in front of you is one matter because your arms can easily adjust angle and height to move across, while when behind you, either up or down, you are more limited in your motion and flexibility. The only way I can figure out the behind the head is if you do a flip and turn under it, that is, start from behind the head, move it up and over as if you were going to flip it so that it would be spinning in front of your face but instead turn under the flip and, in theory you would still be doing it behind you head.Now, I am going to go find my ultra soft poi before I try this one...and maybe a hard hat and a set of safety goggles. grinI'll let you know.Thanks Adam for the windmill, I had thought of it as a possibility but hadn't worked up to trying it! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
yay smile I love discovering new turns - I've been thinking about the bt head ones but I've been working on btb turns..umm...doing forwards and backwards butterflies btb, then while staying btb, switching between backwards and forwards. I can do these both, only I can do the btb backwards butterfly - btb forwards butterfly much more fluidly than the other way around. It's like learning to go from normal forwards butterfly to backwards butterfly and vice versa all over again... smile Oh and is fun to combine these btb butterflies into circular weaves too...And Sup - someone said it somewhere I forget who it was, but when you said there's *A* point where you can change - (you probably know this already but I decided to write it anyway), there's heaps of points you can change from. [This message has been edited by splat (edited 10 July 2001).]

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
That is *exactly* what I was talking about Splat smilecool.well now I know it's possible, it will be easier to learn smileThanks,Josh

yeawordmember

Posted:
the wind mill turn is possible if you do the wind mill with your right hand under try doing it with the left hand under you will see that it is the same as going over your l shoulder counter clockwise and going over your right shoulder counter clockwise. i learned that way and i just learned how to do reverse windmills so buy the time im finished im verry dizzyand as far as shoe laces with glow stix they are fine but make sure there not to thin i have numerous ropeburns on the back of both my hands from wrapping boot laces are ideal