Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > no-handed cartwheel with poi

Login/Join to Participate

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Alrighty, in Capoeira we call this au sem mao (but with squigglies over some of those letters... anyhoo...)This is something I've been working on for a while. I look gimpy when doing it, but I'm still at it, dammit. Maybe some of you will have faster luck with it.First, learn a no-handed cartwheel. I recommend a beach. It's all nerves, and the sand helps. You can land on your head and not get hurt. Do a cartwheel with one hand first, (let's say to the left) starting with your left hand and then using the right hand instead. Hop more and more each time from your left leg as you bring the right leg over, and swing your arms more for momentum. You should be able to get it to the point where you're basically just catching yourself with your far hand as you come down.Now the tricky part. As you swing your arms for momentum, try to tuck them in and keep them there once you start to go over. The move virtually can't be done without pulling in the arms. Gets the mass distribution closer to the pivoting point. Ah, physics.At this step it's nerves. You'll either freak out and extend your arms, thereby losing your spin speed as conservation of angular momentum takes over, or you'll have the cojones (or the ovaries, as the case may be) to keep your arms in and flip over your own teakettle to victory. Leaving the legs less than vertical makes this easier. So far, no problem.And now...The same move can be done whist spinning poi. Step into the move doing windmill counter-clockwise. As the right poi comes down across your body and heads back up again, move into the catwheel. Both poi spin behind your head as you turn upside-down-ish, and you come out doing counter-clockwise windmill again.Like I said, I look sloppy when doing this move. It's hard to get the legs straight and to get enough spin to stay up for any length of time. Anyone with suggestions or comments, I'm all eyes. It might be possible to use different timing of the poi to make better use of their momentum.Peace and Love.-Rick

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
What do you mean "First learn a no-handed cartwheel"? At this point I`m already thinking of the pain I would be putting myself through!Cool move Rick, just wish I had the guts to try it!

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
wow!! are you insane???. I bet it will look great when you master it but I dont think I will be trying this out pyro

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Well, here it is, several months later, and I've found a way to make this move look super-phat instead of off-kilter and gimpy.The first thing I changed was to use chasing the sun instead of windmill. It lets the swing of the poi have a more efficient effect on the flip. But it was still tough to time it properly.Shortening the chains (wrist wrap and hold) helped, and now I've foregone all but a leading-in and leaving poi move and just do the damn cartwheel with short chains. I find the timing the chains require when longer conflicts with the timing of the flip.Doing this move in a martial arts-style routine or segment is snazzy.Word to all you pushers of limits.-Rickp.s. in the video Shaolin: the Wheel of Life (a videotaping of a stage performance by the official ambassadors of the Shaolin monks) one of the monks uses a nine-section whip in each hand and does a kind of flat-spin kick that would be a no-handed cartwheel if he kept his head down and changed the axis of rotation for his body and legs. He spins one whip above and one below his body while doing this. He then proceeds to do this again and again and again until several of the audience members have reached orgasm and passed out. If you want to absorb some mad physical energy styles for your performance, watch this video.

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
Hmm...sounds like a question I asked before...except I call it an "aerial" (breakdancing lol)https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000450.html

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
At the risk of speaking about things i cannot do...What is a no-handed cartwheel.Isn't just a sideways flip? Like a forwards or backwards flip but side on with the same sort of motion as a cartwheel.Calling it a no-handed cartwheel seems to imply it is even harder than a flip, and flips are pretty bloody hard!!!!!------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Geezz Rick that's mad as!!I was wondering about what next direction to go for acro-twirling (see ma?!?! i'm makin' up words now...) Reading this posting today inspires me no end! wheel of life? sounds like ambulance car parts! Practicing acrobatics on sand is hard tho - it's too easy to churn the crap out of the spot your landing on. When the sand gets that messy it absorbs some of the thrust in your launch! Hey get get some footage online if ya can man! cus it'll fire people up like a priest in a kindergarten. When i finally nail my current trick, I'll post an .mpg vid of it online.*pants like rapid dog*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
Rick...at this point in time i would just like to make it clear that i hate you :P (naa.. just really jealous) i really wanna get that down, ever since i saw it done for the first time....heheh *pouts*

wulff

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:jaw drops:hmm, another thing to cause extreme pain to myself whilst trying...and yeah, that shaolin video is absolutely incredible, it inspired me to make three section staffs and absolutely kick the shit out of myself...not that thats a bad thing...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Capoeira kicks serious booty smile I went to a club once to try and learn, but I was soo out of shape and there were no other newbies at that particular meeting so I never went back. Now I feel dumb cause I'd still like to learn but I'm sure the same guy is teaching it. I have too much other stuff I'm learning now though, snowboarding, skateboarding, and poi. I think that should be enough to keep me occupied for now.But that move would be nifty to learn.------------------Ambiguous

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Charles im fairly sure the no handed cartwheel is the side flip you were talking about I just think that Rick was describing it like a no handed cartwheel because the move is eventually derived from doing cartwheels.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I went out and tried to do cartwheels, which was kind of embarassing here in my dorm, but it's just too darn cold to do anything outside smileI'm thinking next semester I'll sign up for a Tumbling and Floor Exercise class, of course only if it fits my schedule. I've always wanted to do flips, which is one of the things they outline in the course, and maybe something could be worked into my twirling smile------------------Ambiguous

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
You can do this like a cartwheel or like a roundoff. The cartwheel method is to understand how a cartwheel works. Stand and move sideways into a cartwheel, leaning your torso down to the ground before swinging your legs over. Keep the torso down there until the feet land, then bring it up. So the emphasis is torso down, legs up, legs land, torso up. Also, look at the wall you were facing when standing up. Don't look at the floor. This will help you later. Step two- bend your torso down as if to do the cartwheel. Now move your legs round so you turn 360 degrees (step across with the back leg and then round with the second)and raise your torso. Now inrease the height component making the feet take off when turning. This might seem nothing like an aerial, but it will help you generate drive in your torso. Remember to keep your torso vertical when you bend down- otherwise you'll do a butterfly kick. Keep on increasing the height of the feet until you're comfortable with the idea of moving in the air. Now, for those martial artists out there this next step will be a bit easier. Make the first leg that takes off more of a roundhouse or outside to inside crescent kick. Then make the second leg into a hook kick like motion. Again, aim to increase the height. Next step is to really whip those arms into the move and try to inscribe a high arc on that first kick up. Remember it's torso down, first leg, second leg, first leg lands, second leg lands, torso comes up. Keep that torso vertical and look forwards not at the ground. Each time try to kick higher and whip the body harder. At some point the legs will come up straight and high, torso vertical. There's your aerial. Base it on a roundoff (ie, from a run or a hurdle step) to accelerate it and increase the height, but try not to twist too much into it- that just throws the move out of allignment. Just keep on experimenting and you'll get it. Remember, torso vertical, swing tose arms and kick up high.PLEASE dont try this if you dont have the following, you might get hurt. flexibilty- especialy in the back and legs. high vertical leap-if you dont have this then get it. you WILL hurt yourself if you dont have good jumping ability. someone to watch, spot, and help you out ------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Or Better yet just watch this over and over. smilehttps://www.bilang.com/trickz/tricks/Aerial.html------------------Blessings to all, Peter "In motion, move like a thundering wave. When still, be like a mountain.Rising up, be like a monkey. Land swiftly and lightly like a bird. Be steadylike a rooster on one leg. One's stance is as firm as a pine tree, yetexpresses motion. Spin swiftly and circularly like a wheel. Bend and flexlike a bow. Waft gracefully like a leaf in the wind. Sink like a heavy pieceof metal. Prey like a watchful, gliding eagle. Accelerate like a gusty wind." Wushu Proverb

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.