AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i started the poi thing around a week ago, and i'm practicing to get better at it... well anyway, does anyone else get hit with the objects frequently? And does it occur less as you improve?

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
It occurs much less frequently as you improve. Practice, practice, practice!You'll improve very quickly.Finn smile

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
Yes, smakcing yourself is part of the learning process. It took me about a month, maybe six weeks, before I was reliably managing to avoid hitting myself for long periods of time (like, 10 minutes or more at a stretch).Later, when I was trying to expand my repertoire, I'd wind up whacking myself again with the new moves. (Although the old ones were still firm.)This is why I advise people to learn new moves with soft objects -- if I'm hanging out with a few other spinners, whirling my fire poi around, and someone suggests a new move, I'll put down the fire poi and whip out my Zuni instead. Usually saying "I better try that with these things first, so I don't knock myself silly when I screw this up."At this point, I'm reasonably convinced that part of learning a move is learning where it will try to whack you if you don't get it right. (I recall someone mentioning the "face bash" and "skull crash" BTB weaves -- one tries to hit you in the face, the other in the back of the skull.)Learning poi is a great way to improve your pain tolerance. smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
As you improve, you *can* hit yourself less. But if you keep pushing yourself, you'll always be hitting yourself when trying the new stuff. I think pain has a certain educational quality, though, so that's OK. I'm working on some moves where I have a hard time avoiding hitting myself, so I whack myself a lot when practicing, and, well, hope for the best when I light up.I believe it was Greg LeMond who said of cycling "it never gets easier--you just push harder."

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
it's especially annoying if i try to do the butterfly and they smash together so i get hit in the head or the groin... are there any suggestions for avoiding this?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
That's one of the most common problems. You need to get your two chains slightly out of synch. Hold one hand over and forward from the other. You can also experiment with making one reach 12:00 slightly later than the other.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
im also pretty new to all this spinny stuff, but have spent many hours practising, here in Amsterdam. My friend and i practise alot using 2 lengths of rope, instead of poijust normal sailing stuff, 1.5 cm think, with a knot in each end...after a few days of whipping myself senseless, i found i had some of the basic moves worked out...and switched to normal poi, (which prior to this rope pratice were amazingly magnetically attracted to my groin)i now practice more with the rope than with the poi. As theres very little weight difference along the lenght of rope, it forces you to keep you circles very smooth, something that you can a little for-granted a bit with poi, as the weight of the poi "holds" the circle somewhat...also , as the rope is a "solid" length,(as opposed to a thin chain, with balls on the end), in the daylight, when your spinning well, visually, its also very interesting...often looking like a staff being twirled quickly.anyway..hope this helps....try it...

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
When I went to the ECSP I was humored (as only an audience person can) by watching a girl hit herself in the groin with her poi. However, this is not the humorous part. She was sitting on the shoulders of one of the other spinners. So he got hit in the face instead.Part of the humor is also because moments before the accident someone using a camera had mentioned that "Whenever I see someone spinning poi they usually end up hitting themselves in the gr..." and then she did.I also just watched "the Art of Poi" last night. The instructor used Beaming Poi for all of her demonstrations. If I remember the stories right, I've heard of one person knocking themselves out with them and another breaking his nose. I may have heard (or remembered) wrong, but the message is the same. Like kmactane said, soft poi are better for practice.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I had a difficult time learning the backward weave. (not BTB, just plain old backward) It took me about 4 hours to actually do it with out hitting my self between the eyes every 30 seconds.

I smell something burning.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ironically, the bashing isn't the probelm with me, it's the little metal hooks/swivels on the comets and practice poi that get me. I think every single time I do a leg wrap with them I get scratched. I look like I lost a fight with a tabby cat.When I started I hit myself sure but you do get better and the more transitions you learn the easier it is to get out of being hit if your poi go awry. You can actually turn out of it or duck and swing type things.It will subside, but remember no one is perfect. Everyone, even the best, hit themselves when they are learning something new, or tired or whatever. No one is perfect and no one is infallible. grinBest wishes for safe bonks (oooo that sounds dirty! wink)------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
Aha. hahahah. *sorry*I just remembered how many of my clothes have black stains from hitting myself.But dont worry, you will eventually stop getting hit by the "evil poi"...hehhehe.p.lu.r. =)

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I kinda see it in terms of risk.when you first start, you arent familiar with any moves, so the risk of you hitting yourself while doing any move is high. as you become proficient in your core moves (weave, butterfly, windmill etc) you will stop hitting yourself as much in these moves. eventually you will stop hitting yourself in these moves all together, meaning your risk of being hit is approaching zero (while you are in your comfort zone). Of course, most ppl arent happy to stick to the basic moves, and so try to throw in something new or difficult every now and then in their set. You will know you are trying something hard, and so it becomes a calculated risk. You can prepare yourself to drop the poi, or duck or things like that, thus - even while learning you will hit yourself less.This is why I think as you improve you should hit yourself less...because as you improve you will become more conscious of the risk of each move (even ones you dont know) and you will be more aware of how to avoid getting hit, and you will be more practiced at ducking or stalling the poi if something does go wrong.Josh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I've made a couple of woolen pom-poms about the size of a cd that are a good weight for learning new tricks, but are kinda too big and hit each other. So instead I use my other practice poi that are made from tennis balls. Sure I still get hit - but the only really painful one are the groin hits. So I grab one of my rollerblading knee-pads and stuff it down my pants - works a charm!!!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I think Josh has the right idea, I was hitting myself all the time when I was learning the weave and the butterfly (yes, I hit myself in the groin too, but only once before I padded myself with a few socks)Now I've practised those moves, I don't hit myself while doing them anymore, but I do hit myself when I'm trying new stuff. However, since I'm now more familiar with the poi and where they're going to go if something goes wrong, I'm better at dodging or catching them so I don't smack myself in the face.Trying to learn the BTB weave has put me right back to square one though, I get thwacked all the time if I try it.------------------King of all things Walrus

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I'm thinking of getting a little black phillips (cross) screwdriver head tattooed on my arm because I always seem to end up with an imprint from the screws on my poi.Hitting yourself will always happen as you learn new tricks. Wait till you try to learn btb weaves. It is very refreshing however to twirl for a session doing simple tricks very slowly and working on your fluidity. You tend to hit yourself a lot less and it can boost your confidence. People I've helped teach have stood there doing nothing but forward and reverse weaves for maybe hours. Twirling trance!I've experimented with practise poi made of rope and towel, made soft so I can beat myself all day with them and still twirl.Have a look at the thread about Definitive list of wraps for moves where people hit themselves on purpose!------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
You have to be part masochist to really get into poi.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
I hate pain but i was so desperate to learn quickly i didnt cut a hole in my tennis balls to make them lighter. a few hundred bruises not too much later, i was setting them alight.I was practicing once and this guy started on the 'thats so easy' line so i let him have a go. Both tennis balls hit him in the groin. divine retribution....[This message has been edited by Firefairy (edited 17 October 2001).]

regulaemember
23 posts

Posted:
Hi all, im a newbie in poi and in this site so I thought this was a good thread to post my first msg. As all of us who spin poi y get hit a lot but lately since I started two weeks ago its been a lot less, wich makes me really happy. Usually when I practice I wear my wool hat...that helps alot. First I was kinda afraid of getting hit but now it desnt hurt much, im just too concerned im not getting it right to worry about the pain (except when its in the eye or lip or...yes, the groin) Anyway I also had a q, my index finger is hurt (dont know how to call it in english, im from Ecuador) from the straps rubbing too much on it...what can i do so it stops and is it normal? I guess maybe im just holding it wrong but im not so shure about it.

Firefairymember
115 posts

Posted:
i got the sore finger bit too and still get it when ive been twirling a long time. i found that my fingers harden up. i was also using hemp handles but i went to a charity shop and bought this groovy leather tie which i cut up for new handles (a soft belt would do it too).