Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
I was toying around with the thing I read on here a while back where you can go from a butterfly to left/right hand above your head and the opposite hand behind your back, then meet at the middle beat for a butterfly. After playing with that for a minute I decided to try it with both poi spinning opposite directions (like you do in a windmill). Now I'm sure I'm not the first person to figure this out, but it turns out you can split the timing as if you were going to do it w/ the butterfly, except instead of meeting in the center for a butterfly you meet in the center w/ 2 circles whos middle section overlap (depending on length). It is a ton of fun and you can keep to almost any beat w/ it. The big trick is that the poi you are spinning overhand has to travel in a behind the head->in front->behind the back->behind the head path, while the one spinning underhanded must travel behind the head->behind the back->in front->behind the head. So when you split the timing of it you will basically do 1 beat w/ 1 hand behind the head, the other behind the back, another beat w/ the opposite hand behind the head, the other opposite behind the back, then a middle beat. I haven't tried this yet with longer strings but if I had to guess I would say that it is a lot harder as I had my poi tangle behind my back on a couple of occasions.Have fun and happy poi'ng! smile

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
WHoa!(Shakes head back and forth rapidly)I am going to have to read this one again after Im fully awake... ack!It definitely Sounds cool though grin------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Hmm... okay, check this out:With one hand, lets say left, swing overhanded and go: Circle in front, circle behind the head (ie windmill), then instead of doing another circle in front, drop it from above your head (behind your head) to behind your back. From behind your back it goes in front of you again, then behind your head. I used to do it a little when I was trying to get the hang of the horz. mex wave and the windmill... seemed to be a good way of working on both at the same time and not getting bored (since I was doing it w/ just one hand). So... apply that to the right, except underhanded. The difference is that instead of going behind the back to in front of your body, you go from behind your back to above your head, then it goes from above your head, to in front, to behind your back, rinse-wash-repeat.Now do both at the same time and viola... pimpness! smile

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
OK, I think I get this. It's sorta like the alternating butterfly combo listed in the poi lessons here, except based on the windmill. And you don't go front-back-front-back, you go front-back-back-front.Uhh, right? I think I'll go into the backyard and try this now.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Now I think I got it... brain is awake, nice and crisp (or crispy?). Ill go try it out. ------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I was doing a windmill after I had practiced with one hand each, doing what you described, and I busted into it! Its a pretty phat move Lamar. What are you calling it? Mexican Windmill? wink------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
3 beat Mexican Windmill. I like that! It is a pretty entertaining move, though, huh? I feel like that old school wrestling tag-team pair that looked like hillbillies w/ suspenders and walked into the ring w/ that exaggerated walk when I do it. smileI hit up the weight machines pretty good the other day and I couldn't even twirl last night but once I recoop I want to try to reverse the spin of each respective poi by kicking my leg back (btb wrap). I also wanna try dropping into a butterfly w/ a btb wrap off of the move as well, or hell -- the alternating butterfly version of this combo. I've noticed that it is possible to transition in to absolutely *any* move from this depending on where you kick out. Like I said... sweetness! grin

spinmember
10 posts

Posted:
This has endless possibilities I have been playing around with lately. It is a lot of fun to do this from a btb weave as you can move your hand forward to make the two circles or up. It give you visual alot more than one big circle moving around. It hold it for a few beats you will get to feel how you can turn it with out going back into a weave. Which makes the two circles one tiny one and then back to two. happy spinningmark

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
you can do this with one hand high and the other low, or one in front high, while one behind low...right???i think i know what youre doing...i do a slight variation of this from a rev butterfly. Lamar, insert a stall and a 90 degree turn and see if you can combo it into a weave...ill let oyu try it.hee hee "S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
It is crazy easy to combo it into a weave, man! smile That is what I love so much about it, it is crazy easy to combo it into basically anything I can do.I know what your talking about, though, and it just gave me a new transition so its cool. Your talking about the butterfly version of this same combo, where instead of meeting in the middle as 2 big circles they meet in the middle for a butterfly. I never thought to stall out of it and drop into a weave before... I'd always hit the butterfly beat and drop out into an xover, into a weave.Hmm... technically speaking you could stall out of my combo, into the butterfly combo (forward or reverse depending on which poi you stalled). Muahahha... grin

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i love it when a bunch of brains bump together and new techniques are the result.."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain