evenstarmember
36 posts

Posted:
Just saw Alegria last night *sigh* and besides the awesome double staff fire dance, the hula hooping girl took my notice, particularly when she promptly ended her act with some windmills. There have been threads about how to make fire hoops, but nothing thus far, about real moves to use.So anyway, I've been wondering for a while (altho I haven't tried anything out as yet, since I've only got one hoop), if there were anymore poi moves that can be used on hoops, and the possibilities thereof... anybody else share my curiosity? Or maybe tried it out before? I have my final exam on Wednesday, so I might go out afterwards and get me a second hoop ;)

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring.
TOLKIEN

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
if you can get a hold of 'in motion with michael moschen' video he does a thing with a hoop and a long pole, whereby sort of spinning the pole (one end on the ground) makes the hoop circle...that could be fun possibilities. theres also a lot of slight of hand hoop manipulation things with metal hoops that could be done but with fire it might not be as effective because the audience can tell when the hoop is circling or not which you can't if its just shiny metal.but yes ,the video is cool for all sorts of things, even a torch swinging part which is sort of eh. i can do that sort of thing smile but the rest of it...good luck!Pere

evenstarmember
36 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the tip =) I agree, fire may not be so good with poi moves; I'd *love* to get a set of metallic hoops like the ones from Cirque, though smile Great for daytime performances.

TOLKIEN

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Whats "Alegria?"Josh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Josh,One of Cirque Du Soliel shows.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

evenstarmember
36 posts

Posted:
Since you're in Adelaide, Josh, I believe that Cirque du Soleil is going to be there in the next few months or so smile Good tickets are a bit pricey (I paid for A list), but the show is pretty funky. Personally, I liked their other shows, particularly Quidam better, but there's a pretty nifty double fire staff routine that really stood out [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif">------------------[/image] A light from the shadows shall spring." TOLKIEN

TOLKIEN

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
On the matter of poi moves with Hula Hoops, I spent an hour practicing with this guy in Aotea square who was amazing with the hoops. When we swapped my staff for two hula hoops, I found a lot of staff moves translated easily with the hoops. Especially the side to side and behind the back, with the hoop looping up and down in your hand it can look very cool. Still can't use them traditionally, but there's lots of hula and non-hula moves to explore...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

evenstarmember
36 posts

Posted:
Cool smile Now that I've got exam time over with (for better or worse), will get down to business and buy a second hoop [image]https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif">------------------[/image] A light from the shadows shall spring." TOLKIEN

TOLKIEN

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Alegria"If you have no voice Scream If you have no legs Run If you have no hope Invent" Alegria is happiness

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
I saw alegria when it came to NZ, but the firestaff guy just did single staff......I was kinda disappointed, sitting there going "heeeey....do something I *can't* do" ;-) Seemed to be mostly showmanship and specacularness, rather than actual technique.....but then I guess that's what you want when you're catering to a large family audience.....I was probably the only cynical one in the audience who wasn't thinking "wooow" wink Has anyone seen the Imax film they produced? I think I liked that even more than the live show, despite the sweet and sappy narrative......the acrobalance piece was just sooo beautiful. I tried doing hula hoops with doublestaff and clubswinging moves once.....one of the hoops broke so I never got very good, but there's definitely possibilities. It'd look soooo cool under UV.xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
THat's starnge that he only did single staff. When I saw it he did both, but he was better with just one anyway smile

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429499385)

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Xaeda, I felt exactly the same about not only the firestaff guy but most of the whole show. He did doubles but not that well, and wasn't all that fast. He even dropped the only throw his performance had, a mere 5-6 metre thing.As a Circe de Soleil (??spelling??) troupe, I found Allegria to be just another circus, and nowhere near worthy of Circ's reputation as the "best of the best".I actually found the webber bro's the year before was more entertaining, more technical and had better visual effects.Maybe the Australasian Circ was a reject show or something, certainly if it wasn't for their fancy music and lights and the asian contortionists, the show would have been a complete waste of time (it was also a waste of money IMHO).But back to hula's, there are a lot of staff moves you can do. But you can also spin them in a globe-shape much easier.How about spinning it along it's circumference in your open palm, then doing a handstand through it while still holding on...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hmmm, now I think of it, maybe he did do doubles. Although the fact that I can't remember it probably adds to my point......sadly, he just wasn't good enough to be memorable. I remember after making trails of fire at the beginning, he basically stuck to very simple moves and transitions, so it was really pretty repetitive and dull if you weren't dazed by the fire/perceived danger/etc. I do remember a pretty cool throw that he caught behind the back, which I still haven't gotten round to learning. And the (way over-hyped) move where he put the burning staff on his feet.........not that impressive when you know about fire, but it really did impress the rest of the audience. I still thought the show was worth going to......I loved the jumping bungy rope people, that was funky. And it did get me all inspired about the interesting ways they presented various skills. But yeah.....guess we just have to accept that shows like that simply aren't aimed at an audience full of performers......we're always gonna be more cynical and picky than anyone else. Heh, maybe one day I'll run away to the circus myself ;-) xaeda

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....