bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Hey,I just started poi and Im having some trouble doing the weave. Ive read the instructions on this page a hundred times, but i still cant get it. Any advice on getting this down??BTW, is practicing with something that has a tail easier? I made my own poi and didnt put a tail on it and sometimes its kinda hard to see where it is. Also, is the "Art of Poi" video worth getting for a newbie?Thanx in advanced.ps: I wasnt sure if I should post this here or in the "moves" forum so sorry if its in the wrong place

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
the way i learned was by the video in the poi lesson section. focus on her hands closely. it shows you the "over, under, out" one hand at a time on the video. for the weave you have to realize that as you do the"under" (lets say with your right hand on the left side of you body, for explanation purposes), your left hand begins the down swing on the right side of you body. i hope this makes sense. good luck. *next time post such a question in the "moves "catagory. PLUR.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Really liked the video - unfortunately my friend has borrowed it and also loves it so I may not get see it again for some time.I learnt the weave from a figure-of-eight and just sort of put an extra turn in on one side. Like all new moves, once you've nailed it you won't be able to understand why you couldn't do it before (honest!).Good luck and hope the bruises fade quickly.Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
There's a way I teach the weave (my friend Vinay taught me this method for teaching this tricky move) that helps you get the basic arm motion down before putting poi in your hands.Find a straight stick, a piece of wood, or a pole (borrow someone's staff or something); something you can hold on to with about five to six inches of space between your hands. Hold the stick with both hands in front of you so that your hands are on top of the stick.Now move your right hand over your left hand, still holding onto the stick. Your left hand will swing under your right. Your arms are now crossed in front of you with your right hand on top of your left. Using your right hand, pull the stick (and both your arms) slightly toward your left side. When your left arm has travelled far enough to the left that it is also on your left side, start turning your hands over, still holding the stick, so that your left arm crosses over the right arm. Your left arm will be on top of your right arm. Now pull the stick (and your right arm following it), over to your right side.Cross your arms again, holding onto the stick, so that your right arm gets to be on top again. Have the right arm pull the stick back to your left side.If you're having the same arm go on top every time you do a crossover, you're not getting the whole thing; you're doing what we call a 'half-weave'. But if you get your right arm to lead, then your left, then your right, then your left, etc etc, you've got it!I really hope this helps. It's not easy to explain in text. I might try to get my friend with the digital video camera to shoot me doing it for illustrative purposes.I'll be happy to follow up with a clarification if any part of this doesn't make sense; please let me know if you get stuck at some particular place.Whee!-protie

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Funny, I actually picked up a pair of spoons to learn the weave just to get the hand motion down... Don't even bother picking up poi until you can do it with your hands first!

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I moved it..no worries, it's what I am here for smile

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
That's an ingenious teaching technique, Protie. Now, can we analogize that to the rvs weave, I wonder?

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Adam! grinAgain, my friend Vinay, just after I taught him to do the weave (we did the over-under-out thing with one poi for a while so he could get the hang of it), invented this teaching technique. He already knew how to do the weave, more or less, from various martial arts training, and apparently they teach a similar move with this technique. So I really can't take credit for it, but I strongly advise you all to take advantage of it when learning or teaching the weave!And yes, it should work just as well for the reverse weave; a friend of mine taught himself to do the reverse weave this way.Hooray!-prote

bhawkmember
48 posts

Posted:
Thanx for the help guys, I think I almost got it but I think I know what my problem is. Whenever I swing my left poi on my right side (a crossover), i have no problems, but when i come back to my left side, my poi is swinging at an angle towards me instead of being parallel to the way Im facing. Its kinda hard to explain. I dont have this problem when crossing over with my right hand. Any ideas on how to correct this problem? It might be the reason why I cant get the weave. Oh and thanx Pele for moving the thread.

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
bhawk:sorry hon that's just going to take some practice. Keep practicing that crossover with just one poi (even if you're pretty confident you can do it easily with one, do it a few times and concentrate on where your hands are going when it works), and then with two.Good luck; let us know when you have it!-prote