Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Newbie in need of corkscrew & windmill advise!

Login/Join to Participate

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
I just recently starting spinning and have since gotten totally addicted to it. I've managed to pick up all the basics and I now use the weave as my 'base' move. Cool thing is that I picked that sucker up before I even found this site. All of the sudden I just felt all the weight perfectly in my hands and just started breaking it down like crazy. (hence the addiction!) I'm not sure whether I'm doing 3 beat or 5, but I'm probably doing 3. I also toyed with doing what I *think* is what everyone would consider a reverse weave but I'm not so good at the left side of the rotation yet. What I'm curious about is all this corkscrew & windmill stuff. I've looked over the videos and am still totally stumped. I've read on here on that they are basically all just the weave in different planes, but I'm not sure how to get 'em started or even what it is supposed to look/feel like if I do get it right so I'm lookin' for pointers. Basically any way I can chain smoothly from any of the basic moves so I can really get a good feel for it.Lastly, I've noticed that whenever I go from a front butterfly and jump it over my head that I don't get all the way behind my back, instead my hands are split apart at angles behind my head such that it looks (at least according to my friends) like I have wings. Should I be dropping my arms back further, or try and force them to keep from splitting, or what? The wings are kickass and all but I wanna try and get down a transition from front to top to back, rinse, wash, repeat, and bruise. smileMuch thanks for any suggestions! Oh... and if any of you spin in the Atlanta area drop me a line. I haven't ever actually spun w/ anyone else before... none of my friends can seem to get the movements down and I *really* wanna see what some of the shit I'm doing looks like. smile

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Welcome Lamar!First of all, since I know someone else is going to say this anyway, Ill say it to you instead. Weve just gone through some growing pains on this site, and I dont think we are quite through with them yet, but they have subsided some. Check the search feature on the site. That was a big issue here before. Personally, I can understand asking the question again. There is good on both sides. You look it up, and find good information. You actually ASK, and it becomes more a more personal experience, and can relate better.Check it out: the weave. Youre doing it, right? So the weave is on your right. Turn right 90 degrees. You have it spinning in front of you, right? Naturally you have to do something with it or else they get tangled. You Could keep it going and just toss the weave behind your butt. Intead, since you have it in front of you, toss your hands behind your head. Your hands will actually be above your head, and you dont really have to move them at all. Practice with one. This is the windmill, and it is heaps of fun. Youll discover a whole bunch of nifty transitions with it too! smileCorkscrew... okay, for the windmill, youre standing straight up, right? If you could stand horizontal on a wall, and do the windmill, you would be doing a corkscrew. Since it would be quite a challenge to do so, just bend at the waist for starters, so youre more or less looking at the floor. Same motion as a windmill. Wrists stay close together. My brain is fried from work, so this might not be the best explanations. Hopefully they work for you though. There is a group of us that live in Florida. Maybe sometime later this year we can hold a South East Spin Fest! That would be tight. Have fun grin------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

Lamarmember
53 posts

Posted:
I'll definately look into that search feature in a sec. I think I managed to pull off the corkscrew last night, but it may be a horizontal corkscrew. I can't seem to tell those apart. They both seem to be (from a single poi standpoint) 1 circle in front of the body, then 1 circle above the head, then done in split time to the other poi. I'll see if I can't transition it slowly into a different plane above my head and see what it turns into.I actually go down to Jacksonville occasionally. How far is Tampa from there? I'll be going down there towards the end of the summer and it would be hella phat to actually hook up w/ some fellow addicts. Plus, by then maybe I'll actually look like I know what I'm doing and be good enough to learn some shit while I'm there! smile

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Lamar, If your doing a horizontal corkscrew, well... thats the only way to do it! Now try and slowly bring it, take several rotations if you need to until you are doing it completely vertically, and you have your windmill. Congrats!Jacksonville is near the Atlantic. Tampa is near the Gulf. A friend just took a trip to Georgia, went to the border, and it took her about 3 hours. Dont know how she was driving or anything. So Tampa is probably 4 hours from where youre at. Not too bad. Definitely look us up if you come down here. We meet up every weekend and have a blast.------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow