AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hmmm, that explaination only seems to partially cover it. What you explained, Pere, is a good way to build up to it. I'll do my best to explain it hear. A Fountain (sometimes called a Shower, though there's another trick that gets the Shower name as well.) is basically six double follow circles spun along the course of a larger circle. Take three counts of a down-chopping cross-follow (weave) along your right side, continue that motion for three beats as you turn your torso to three beats of an up-chopping cross-follow along your left side. Hit three beats back the way you came and that's the end of the cycle. That's basically what Peregrine has said as well. Here's where it differs. Next try arching the path under with the three beats after the first cross-follow section and arching the path over on the second to form the larger circle the smaller circle are set into. To get the full Fountain effect, take this group of four sets of three beats and rephrase them to six sets of two. The first two beats would spin at a hub at your left hip, the second down in front of you, the third at your right hip, fourth - right shoulder, fifth - behind the head, sixth - left shoulder. The first half of this trick's sometimes called the Lower Fountain, the second half the Upper Fountain. Strung together it's a full Fountain. Once you get it going one direction, try it the other with the Upper Fountain then the Lower Fountain. Then try starting from the left side. Then try starting from the up-chopping cross-follow on both sides. Hope this makes sense,Diana

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*attempting to uncross eyes from back of brain trying to imagine it* smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
see this is why i cant learn any moves from the board smilethat was probably a really good explanation of something i already do and i just dont see it at all .... can i have a video please?Pere

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
So let me get this clear: your feet don't move the whole time right? The circles kinda circle your body without you lower body really moving right?If i'm right, I thought that this was called "around the world weave" and that the fountain was a combo with fwd weave, rvs weave, and windmill, with you turning your body 360 deg. in the process of doing it.nomad

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, so Nomad, you figure this out and can you then show me and Pere? I can't picture it...I am such a visual learner! *sigh*Back to the floor........REPULSE smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, you're right. This would be a whole lot easier with a video. Someday, maybe I'll hook that up.And, Nomad, yes, there's no real lowering, though that helps to emphasize the skill. It's all done in one plane with essentially the same body position. It's outline in the Schatz Club Swinging book, which dates back to 190-something. It doesn't surprise me that names mutate over time. So many people learning in small groups all over that planet. I like the sound of your set of moves as well. I'll give that a shot. Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Ah, here's the moves that build up to it...https://www.homeofpoi.com/new7.htm. Take that move and come back in the same direction, keeping the poi on one side of your body. Toward the camera, if you will. Then lower path on one direction shift, upper path on the other. Then, well, the 6 sets of two thing. Diana

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Right - Ithink I get it.so you do crossflow (alternating fwd/rvs weave) around in a larger circle in front of you at a rate of two per big circle?Josh

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
That's a fountain? If you're explaining what I think you're explaining I've done it for a long time cause it's really really fun to do, but it's nothing like what I had in my mind as the fountain.

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Yeah, if you're talking in terms of cross-follows being 6 strokes total, that'd essentially be two per cycle.

Lil kINGmember
7 posts

Posted:
YES...i got it...at least i think i got it smileive been doing a move like this for a while and your right tiki it is really really fun grin but i never knew there was a name for it. what i like to do is thro a windmill in all the way to the left and again all the way to the right...if this is the move i think it is it gives it a nice touchthe king

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I know this is an old thread, but I felt an explanation for anyone else who was searching on this in HOP terms might be easier to understand.Fountain-Start by doing a rvs weave facing to your right, only do the weave one time, and then immediately go into a fwd weave facing your left, again only do the weave one time, and immediately go to the Windmill. Then back to the rvs weave facing your right. Now between the three moves(the two weaves, and the windmill) arc all the moves together so that your arms go in a big circle. This is a fountain. Hope this helps explain it for someone else.. smileCan someone explain which parts of this move are the lower fountain, and which parts are the upper fountain for me? :PCRD[This message has been edited by CrazyRaverDude (edited 24 October 2001).]

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
the lower fountain you keep your hands on the same horizontal plane -turn waist right, weave to your right-do the weave to your left while you turn your waist the opposite direction-bring the weave to your left-do the weave to your right and turn back to your right-bring it back to where you started

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
My God, I am sorry, but i have never seen such a complicated explanation of a fountain in my life, sorry Dianna but I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about! ('trace the arcing path'?)I also think you are discribing a simple forwards to backwards weave with a windmill in the middle, which isnt my understanding of a fountain at all, please correct me if i am wrongThe fountain is really simple and doesn't need to sound like one of my physics textbooks!my understanding is:The fountain is just a mixture of the weave and windmill, so taking it from the right hand side...1. do the forward weave.2. your left hand will come over to the right followed by your right hand, your left hand will go round twice on your right hand side and your right hand will go round only once, so: as your right hand gets to the top of its only swing on your right hand side, instead of swinging it back over to your left hand side you move your hand back over your shoulder and swing it over your head. At this point you have changed the right hand poi from swinging on you side to swinging behind you.3.By the time you have your right hand poi swinging behind you, your left hand poi will be completing its second swing on your right hand side. Instead of swinging it back over to the left hand side, wait until it is at the top of its swing and move your left hand over your shoulder, swinging your left poi behind your back. 4. At this point the right hand poi will be coming up to the top of the swing and you can pull your right hand forward and swing your right poi in front of you.5. You are now doing the windmill.6. As your right hand completes a circle in front of you, instead of putting it back behind your head, swing it over to your left hand side and swing it by your side.7. Your left hand poi will then be completing a circle in front of you, so also swing that poi over to your left hand side.8. With both poi on the left hand side you can enter back into the weave.A pew points to help:1. The fountain has both a right and left handed part. The right is described above and the left is simply the mirror image of the right. The full fountain is thus the going from right side weave to windmill to left side weave to windmill and finally to right side weave.2. It is difficult to stand perfectly still whilst doing the fountain as you have to change the plane that your poi are rotating in by 90degrees to go from weave to windmill, so when starting you can make it easier by turning slightly (e.g. turn to the right when you go into right sided fountain).3. You can do a sort of fountain whilst turning from forwards to backwards weave and vica versa. Instead of just turning round put the poi over your head into the windmill halfway through the turn and then continue the turn into the opposite weave. This is however NOT the fountain.4.You can do five beat fountains/weave turns.5.You can stay in the windmill indefinitely and go back into the weave when ever you like (this is also NOT the fountain) but it illustrates that a trasnition is possible between weave and windmill.hope this is correct/helpsIthaca[This message has been edited by Ithaca (edited 30 October 2001).]

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

Belgarathmember
51 posts

Posted:
CAUTION--CAUTION--CAUTION--CAUTIONIf you do not know what a fountain is or how to do one, only read the above instruction manuals if you have high distinctions in:1.Superstring Theory2.Physics3.Rocket ScienceIf you lack these qualifications you only have a 1.08302% chance of understanding the above discriptions.Thank You... Have A Nice DayCAUTION--CAUTION--CAUTION--CAUTION

The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
so to break it down even moreweave - windmill - rev weave or...rev weave - windmill - weaveThough, about the fountain. Is it the arc movement that makes a fountain or do you have to hold the weave windmill weave at certain amount of beats. I find the fountain looks better with only one beat and its a continous motion.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
phunky,The last description says that the fountain is NOT:fwd weave - windmill - rvs weave (or opposite)I always thought it was fwd weave, windmill, rvs weave...Could someone possibly clarify this??CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
**** studies physics, rocket science and scratches head hoping for a gif of a combo move****

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The horse is dead. Please stop hitting it. Please.Weave-Windmill-Rev weaveThat's a HoP "full" fountain because I said so. It is clarified. It is done. Dianna stopped posting here months ago. Let it go kids, let it go.What ever happened to Sparkley poi? wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
hehe YEAH! YEAH! hmhmhm YEAH! sparkly poi are COOL! hmhm AHHHHHHHHHH! Goddamnit that hurt! hmhm hmhm

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
absolutely crazy,Woody brought some thin wire wool and mesh cages, stick a load of wire wool in, light the bottom and spin and you have a better affect than any fireworks i have ever seen!pics posted soon on www.poishop.f2s.com/poiimage.htmlbe niceIthaca

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

[({PoiToi})]member
98 posts

Posted:
Yeah i always thought the fountain was like NYC has it..forward waeve => wondmill =>rvs weave => windmill => fwd weave so on so on.but i would like to know who wo tdo the 5 bt fountin i've heard about?? Thanks. Jon Ino the horse is NOT dead!! it just looks like it!ever see "Me myself and irene?" heh heh

---Formerly known as RaverRomantic---

AIM: RaverRomantic