PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Actually I didn't but since Nomad thought it was on purpose, he named it and everything...what did you call it Nomad? and intentional or not this worked, so...ladies for an interesting effect you can change direction off your breasts! That's right. You read it correctly. Tits are now poi toys! smileI was going into a nose breaker from under and came in too close, smacked my boobs (each with the respective poi..right to right...) and they changed direction so I just kept it going and went into a buzzsaw.However, it got laughs and joy and worked to where others thought I meant to do it so I figure why the heck not. I also smack my butt with the poi to change direction just to be silly so you can actually do one to the other and it is funny. No it doesn't hurt as long as you don't really slam yourself AND you are left with some fun soot marks on your tops. smileThere you have it ladies (okay, and gents)...bounce off 'em if you've got 'em!!!! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I think i called it the "smacked boobie bounce". Or something close... And it did look intentional!nomad

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well i guess that'll teach me to go to bed early...totally missed that one (dude)Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Pere, It was while I was spinning at the party. I think you were contending with the "Hey man, can I try that" kid at the time.Oh well...next time! smileREPULSE------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

AmberGOLD Member
48 posts

Posted:
when you hit yourself and do wraps dont you get dirty?or dont you care?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yeah you get dirty, I care, but I can live with it smilejosh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
It all comes out in the wash amber so I really could care less. I have clothes set aside for spinning anyway.The closer the fire is to my body the happier I am, soot or no soot. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i just got the BESt pair of black leather pants at the child and family tag sale today for $3!!! no more soot marked pants for me but theyre so nice i almost dont want to spin in them and mess them up with oil. but maybe thats good for them....yayayay. so how do you wash leather pants (having never owned a pair before?)REPULSE! Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Damp sponge, leather cleaner (available at any leather retailer), or a professional leather cleaner.Way to go Pere! Gotta love those tag sales! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Personally, I really like doing leg and body wraps. Sure, you get a little dirty, but it really drives the crowd wild.Now, one thing to be careful of if you have just recently started poi in the northern hemisphere: If it is hot and you take your shirt off, do NOT attempt upper body wraps! Yeah, this may sound obvious, but in the heat of the moment you may forget. I've now got a bunch of red marks on my belly to remind me. Fortunately, there was no pain involved, and I only noticed when a friend commented on all my hickies. ;-)-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok well at the risk of sounding a bit devil-may-care, and bringing down the wrath of the more safety conscious members of the list I'd just like to suggest that bare skin wraps and especially beats are totally possible - I do them myself. Its all in the timing - ie you have to be damn fast, and I dont think I'd try it with cables...I use chains because with the greater surface area I can unwind them with force, rather than waiting for them to do it themselves smileJosh

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Plus hot chain scars look soooo much better than hot cable ones!! hehe just kidding... smile I just really don't like the way cable tightens and cuts into your skin when moving super-fast.That's a good point tho.. although a guy in gooble warming in brisbane *tried* to tell me otherwise the other week!

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
also not if you have towel/wire poi or you will get little spider webbed brands all over your arms and legs and back etc....not that this is bad; i think they look kind cool myself but i don't go out of my way to get them.REPULSE!Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I do bare skin wraps a fair bit, usually around my upper arms/legs etc. I have never been burned as a result of a wrap...knock on wood. Singed the back of my hair a little from a misguided neck wrap though. Then again, I do trailing as well so the whole fire/skin contact thing is nothing new to me.I have been burnt though from trying to prevent the Jacob's Ladder from hitting someone else and I have the coolest scar around my ankle...looks kindof like a celtic weave! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Er, when I said body wraps, I don't mean chain/cable wraps, I mean where the wick makes contact with you skin for several seconds before reversing direction. With my four-wick poi, the contact time of the inner wicks against skin is nearly five seconds, or maybe even more.But on the bright side, if what happened to my bare skin is the worst that can happen, then the worst really isn't too bad at all.-p.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That's what I was talking about to pj.People do wraps without the wick touching them? How do the manage that and where is the fun? I would rather have the wick than the chain. I am more comfortable with fire touching me than with hot metal!You saw the wraps I did with the JL, pj, that's what I am talking about. I also feed it from behind through my legs so that two wicks are against my bum and two flip between my legs and hit my stomach. People love seeing it, though I dunno how that would feel for a guy to do it, if it would crush the nads or anything???? Then of course tha standard legs and such. Tossing it is fun too..mark the handle with somethign glowy or bright for night time releases though, otherwise it is hard to see.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I do feel some kind of need to say this ... there seriously can't be anyone here who can't admit to getting at least a few black smudges on their body/face after playing with fire for a while??my friend twirls double sticks and his face gets comically blackened after a few hours of fun all the time... I also get poi-kisses all the time and probably look a little less than 'presentable' after a big night of twirling. The more smudges the more fun thats been had I say smile

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
My experience has been that when a burning wick or hot chain/cable touches cotten, dennim, or leather, you've got at least a five second grace period before you even feel any heat, let alone chance burning something. But when that same hot wick/chain action makes contact with bare skin, it starts leaving marks pretty darn quick!WRT to the chain wraps, they are the things that Ben was doing in VT with the really long chains with simple wicks at the ends. You're doing the simple forward swing and bring your hands over top of your biceps, allowing the chain to wrap once or twice arround your biceps. You then turn arround, and the momentium of the poi then unwinds the chain from your biceps and you're doing a simple reverse overhand. Loads of fun, and no fire contact at all if you do it right. But things get bad if you don't turn in time and the wick wraps all the way arround to your bicep and then gets stuck there. Fortunately that has only happened with unlit wicks for me so far...-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
WOW I've never seen anyone do wraps where the head of the Poi *doesnt* at least bounce off the body/skin.All my wraps involve doing what you warn against PJ - isnt that interesting? I'd love to hook up with you guys when I'm in the US (a couple of months away) for a spin, I reckon there is definitely a lot of cross pollenation potential smileJosh

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
yeah the no-contact leg wrap stag leap thing people were doing at ecsf was pretty cool and i have never figured it out again...something close maybe it is the same but feels different w/ shorter poi?Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I thought that hits in the back of the thigh Pere, at least that's how I have been doing it. The one where it goes under one leg to the thigh and then a step turn out of it? Or the one where it kind of swing under and through? I think I have them both, and if I don't well, then I have more of my unique stylings. We'll compare notes in NYC?------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
You kids are crazy!Play safe now.Axis.