touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
Tonight I figured that not only is it a good idea to stop spinning one poi to reverse the direction, but this simple idea has let me create more new moves than I could possibly explain!Thus there is no real explanation of my new moves, but i recommend that you all try stopping one poi in any place imaginable, it has made me a very happy man.If anybody lives in London it would be easier to demonstrate my much loved new moves in person...hit me back, I`m always willing to share new moves, but can`t explain them with words very wellat all.Sorry all that live far away from London I guess I`m not much help to ya`ll, I`ll try harder I promise.Happy happy poi joy!------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Do you mean stall where you swing it slowly and then shift direction or do you bring it to a full and complete stop? That might help me visualize. Thanks.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Tikimember
44 posts

Posted:
What kind of stuff do you do after stopping your glowsticks? About the only thing I've spent time doing is while doing a windmill or weave with glowsticks, spinning one of my glowsticks so it stops hanging in front of me while continuing to spin with the other. Then from around crotch level or below slowly bringing the stopped glowstick straight up so while one glowstick is spinning tricks around me, it looks like it is rising straight up. It's a neat effect lighting up your body then dropping it out of sight behind your head and bringing it in line with the other hand.

1. CAUTION: Knife is very sharp. Keep out of children
2. A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.
3. Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
This is kind of interesting, because after I had been spinning for a while I realized that I have a firm rule that I hadn't even been aware of myself: never stop. I think I only became aware of it when I saw other twirlers stopping for reverses.If I want to reverse directions, either I do a turn or a move that lets me reverse. But unless I make a mistake (which happens often enough), my chains never stop.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Stalls don't necessarily stop the poi though, they slow them down...ALOT...and then allowed for this really graceful transition...what is neat is to go from fast to stall and back up into fast. The sheer contrast of speed dynamics is really pretty. I am working with that on some moves now, but it's hard to control since you want to have enough speed to keep your chains from snapping back but slow enough to easily and gracefully transition. I still think wraps are the way to go but stalls are interesting, though I agree with Adam, I don't think my chains stop full out, because even after a wrap, which is essentially stopping them for a split second, they are back whipping around.Not that this helps but it's my opinion. smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

HOP Newsletter