Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > This addiction is killing me

Login/Join to Participate

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
What up all, I'm Eric. I think our minds were built and are maintained by our love for poi. I say this because, and stop me if this hasn't happened to you, every time I learn a new move be it, 5 beat weave, reverse weave, or any other move for that matter, there are always so many possibilities for wraps and combos. This makes it extreamly hard to figure out where to start, it's all just so fun and every new combo you think of makes you want to try more and more. I'm not saying I have a difficult time figuring out how to link my tricks, I'm just saying, isn't it weird that we're all so into poi, we can't not think of a new combo or wrap.by the way, I spin glowsticks. I'm sure fire looks sick but my mom wouldn't appreciate it too much.------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
sup Myst.I learned on Glowsticks as well. I am aspiring to spin fire in the next couple months or so. I still dont feel comfortable yet.Sticks are bad-ass though, when you get them going. My biggest problem in my first few months of spinning was not remembering everything i could do. i would run through an entire song, then at the end, say to myself "DAMN" i forgot to do this move...But after a while, i learned to let myself go, i end up at least touching pratically every move i know. Most of the time anyway. Now I am trying to figure ways on comboing in and out of different moves form all different angles, so that way i wont be confined to doing a certain move before another. You know what i mean..I love to see new people coming into the board and expressing their joy of spinning. My first 5 posts or so were the same thing.Everytime i learned a new move, i had to post it..Welcome, and by the way, i like the Member name. Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I've been spinning for about 2 1/2 months now. I just can't seem to put them down. I've learned every move on the list, smoothly, learned how to do combos with them, wraps to others, I've even made my own moves up. I feel I'v learned pretty fast, the only problem is I keep learning more stuff. The more stuff I learn the more combos, then I learn more stuff from that. It just keeps going. It's to the point where I can chose the style. Smooth and slow, fast and amazing, wrap after wrap, combo to combo, or just mix them. I love my sticks so much. Eric Still learning more, your a cool guy Super.------------------If you don't want to be an addict, don't ever start spinning.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
when i die (after poi'ing to death) i hope to be burried with my poi! outside at my site i want there to be a hundred poi'ers around! let this addiction kill me cause i DO love it to death! grin i also wanted to make this post to be the 1000 person under the new moves section! cheezy, really cheezy i know, but oh well! grin peace and respect!------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey Myst,I dont think there is anyone on this board that wouldnt know what you are going through smileyeah - we are all addicts...I dont think it is possible to learn everything there is to know about twirling sticks or poi or staves...you just keep learning and refining...and innovating and inventing and re-inventing...etc etc hey Sups...where do you live? anywhere near San Fran? my gf and I will be there in about 2.5 months, and if you want, we could hook up for a fire twirl...Also - Burning Man is calling...Love and Light,Josh

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Josh, i will be in SF at the end of August for a weekend and then i'm going to burning man. Should i understand that you're going to be at BM too? Maybe we could meet up...nomad

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Rockin Nomad that would be cool.I think we will be in SF for about a week in the lead up to BM...how are you getting to BM?Josh