Forums > Social Chat > HOW LONG HAVE WE ALL BEEN SWINGING FOR

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BECKYmember

Posted:
IVE BEEN SWINGING JUST OVER A YEAR.. I RECENTLY WENT TO SAN FRANSISCO AND MET SO MANY PEOPLE WHO SWUNG POI AND OTHER STUFF THEY WERE MOSTLY ALL REALLY AMAZING AT IT AND HADNT BEEN DOIND IT THAT LONG. I JUST WONDERED WHAT STAGE EVERYONES AT HOW LONG YOUVE BEEN SWINGING AND WHATS THE TRICK YOUR MOST PROUD OF..IS ANYONE ELSE FINDING THE BEHIND THE BACK WEAVE SLIGHTLY TRICKY..IM SO BRUISED!!! LET ME KNOW LOVE BECKY X

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Hey Becky,I've been swinging since Dec of Last Year. I saw the Poi and Fire staff in action on a beach and knew that I had to be part of the action. Im still working on the Behind the back weave Its no prob to do a figure 8 and sometimes a beat or 2 on both sides but things deteriorate very quickly after that.As far as pride goes, once I learn a move and can do it reasonably well and have it flow into a set Im proud of the way it fits together, but no longer actually proud of the specific "move" if that makes sense. Code128

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
hi becky been swinging since jan 2001 got behind the back weave after about a month you will find that going in one direction behind the back (what i would call reverse is easier) that is when the poi come toward your face. other tricks like mexican wave and turns can be very cool as well smile

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

mikeybmember
93 posts

Posted:
It occurred to me last week, it's almost exactly my first poiniversary. Started at the Big Green Gathering at the end of July 2000 (just before I found out how the CAPS LOCK key works ;-) {sorry!}).Did our first payfer gig last Thursday. Going to do more. Most proud moment? End of our set last Thursday when we got asked to do an encore, of course :-) Gave up on having favourite moves quite recently - if a move's a favourite I just repeat it too much til it gets boring, so i try and be fair to all of them.mikeyB

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
im closing in on a year in about a month or so.But i still havent spun fire yet. <> I cannot wait to spark up.."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
about a year and 6 months on Fire poi.I do have moves I do more often, and which feel better...these are alternating / butterfly variations (see my short set on the video for eg of my typical stuff) but I agree that ppl should try to avoid the fav moves thing, cuz it will limit your set when you come to do it.Josh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Been at it since the beginning of the year--lit up one month after I started practicing.It took me a month of solid practice (and very bruised shoulders) to get the btb weave. Different moves come to different people at different rates. Someone who is newer to poi than me recently showed me how to do the 5-beat weave (thanks, Andrea), which had eluded me since I started out. And San Francisco has a very strong poi community for newcomers to learn from.I don't have any one move I'm proudest of--although I have made it a point to develop a repertoire of moves, I'm more concerned with making constant, smooth, and interesting transitions between moves--this I find is much harder to maintain, but more satisfying. That said, I am usually most pleased with whatever moves I've figured out most recently, which this week is the reverse thread-the-needle.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yep I'd like to underline what Adam wrote about having a good community to learn from. I think I'd be a much better twirler if I had ppl to learn from. Sadly there is no-one I know of in this state that can teach me all sorts of new stuff - and to my knowledge there hasnt been any really exceptional twirlers since I started (I killed em all wink) Dont get me wrong, there are a *few* good ppl, but no-one who makes my jaw drop... I think this can also be a benefit, cuz from what I see on the vid, my 'style' is different to a lot of the ppl on there...and I guess thats a good thing. eh - get the video and then you can tell me smileIts certainly much easier to learn moves when you have an example of that move in action right in front of you.Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 17 July 2001).]

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
i started february of 2000, so about a year and a half (on poi that is) and started staff last june, so a little over a year for that. it was cool (i think) how i got my start on staff.... i was chillin at my karate place watching the kids from summer camp, they were watching some video and the lights were dimmed (halogens(they kinda flicker)) and i was hold a bo staff and i noticed that when i spun it a little, it looked like there was a strobe light on it. and i also noticed that when i spun it down-wards on my right side, there came a point where i could no longer spin....my arm stopped twisting (OMFG!!), so right then and there i taught myself a behind the back pass, going down on the right and up on the left. i dont think i knew how to even spin it normal like in one hand yet. wierd. as for poi, i saw a guy at an animation festival at CAL spinning some green glow sticks, totally mesmerizing, i was hypnotized, i was hooked, i went home and made myself a poi (not a set, but one poi, yes i started with one poi). and i must have practiced everyday, 2 or 3 hours a day with that one poi for ahout 2 weeks or so and then i made a second, then it started to hurt. funny huh, starting with one poi, at least i got a lot of focused prcatice with my left side, you have no idea how horrible i was at the start. at about the time i started staff, i found this site, a gift from god. by that time i knew butterflies (just forwards, no over-heads or anything fancy) and forwards and reverse weaves with turning. this site helped my through so much of my self-training.fav move these days:: ok do an alteranting butterfly on your right and cross over to your left, but without making a full rotation with either poi, keep turning your body to the left so they cross again, on your left again, (now, relative to your audience the poi have started on the far side of your body and moved over the close side and around your body to the far side again, hmmmmmm) then go back, and forth, and back, and so on. you can see this move in jo derry's first vid (i think)(once again, thanx so much jo, youre incredible)DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunkPS: i put a new pic on my site in the bio section.....its me in my tux from prom night, my tie is crooked......woopsies[This message has been edited by Drake (edited 17 July 2001).]

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning since May of this year. and sadly I dont know any one that is better than me. frown Not that I am good, but I have suprassed the friends that turned me onto it. Its tricky trying to pick things up from video clips. wink

I smell something burning.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I know what you mean about San Francisco. There's been a huge boom recently. I've been playing over two years which makes me a senior in the community. Ha! In any other art form, I'd be just beginning. Which I am. wink

plastikgirlmember
41 posts

Posted:
I've been swinging since...september of last year. Almost one year!! Weeeee!What I really wanted was to be accepted as a pupil in this circus academy...but there were no vacancies left. Then, this girl called me and asked if, instead, I wanted to have club/fire swinging classes. I said yes, and went open-hearted to my first class, wanting to know WHAT WAS THAT!!!!So, since then, I'm completely in love! I think I finally found myself.And, I must say, thanks to Home of Poi, I discovered poi (cause here in Brazil club swinging is way more popular), ordered a pair (from this very website, located on the other side of the world), and been living happily after that. So, that's it =)p.l.u.r., people

Lady bug lady bug, fly away home. Your house is on fire, and your children will burn! Ashes, ashes, all fall down!!

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
I've been practicing now for about 6 months or since feb. 2001. i hardly ever hit myself anymore and all my moves flow continuously which is something i'm very proud of...however if it's a specific move that i like the best, it's either doing the butterfly and then doing a somersault while still doing it ( a real crowd pleaser wink ), or a couple moves that look like they have no set pattern and i'm just flinging my arms all over the place, but really it's a move that flows in two like 3 or 4 other ones. That i'm proud of also. My favorite moment ever while swinging was the school talent show...what's better than nailing ALL your moves infront of 1000 of you peers...the sound of the crowd cheering was the best and on a small scale probally one of the most exillerating times of my life! DAMN this stuff is cool! ------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
For me it sometimes feels like I've been doign it forever, sometimes it seems not long enough.I agree with both Josh and Adam about that a good community makes it easier to learn...I'd be much better if there was a community here. But on the flipside those of us who are isolated have the ability to really truly define our style without real outside influence, for that I am grateful.I also agree with Adam that the finished product is more somethig to be proud of than any one move. I get thrilled when I get something after working on it but then the joy wears and I am on to the next but the euphoria of a good, clean show lasts alot longer.And I also agree with Diana, though I want to extend her statement out further than San Fran...everywhere it seems people who have been doing this over a year are hailed as veterans, whether or not they feel it. Because the art is such an infant in this incarnation of it, it seems anyone who has been involved for over 8 months is seasoned!In fire breathing (my other love) someone I know by reputation who has been doing it for 10 years finally reached his veteran status!!! I am barely out of diapers when it comes to this!!!!How different are the lifespans of these fiery creatures! smileMy best to all no matter where they stand in their fire lives.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I just heard about this swingin' movement a few months ago, but I have been artfully twirling stuff for 20 years! In high school I learned some juggling moves, and I borrowed twirling moves from the martial art of "arnice"(sp?). Despite being male, I was also not averse to learning baton twirling type moves. I would twirl sticks and weights on ropes. In a very dark park one night with friends, I hit upon the idea of twirling a pair of cigarettes. Beautiful, if only for a small audience. Years later I thought of using glow sticks. But lately I have been itchin'... I'm ready to move up to F-F-F-ire!

jamiemember
21 posts

Posted:
i'm one of those new san francisco people who has just joined the community i hear you guys talk bout so much, i've been spinning since...early june? well it's been about 5 weeks that's all i know, anyways, i learned fast because of this site, without homeofpoi, i'd know nothing, i can do moves (5bw, 4brw, btbw)but i have no flow and very little speed, i guess thats what happens if you learn quantity before establishing quality.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i have been swinging for like ummm just 1 months and a haft lol grin my problem is that i dont know ppl that do it bleh.. i just know 1 friend that do it(that watch from other ppl that do it better hehe)... so i learn watching him tho or with video clips i download tho...anyone know were to downlod nice video clips with music and all ? ;p[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 23 July 2001).]

Dance like if noone were watching you

evenstarmember
36 posts

Posted:
I've been practising poi since just Feb 2001, started up fire poi around late April or early May... I haven't been practising for a while though, cos I've got work, and been overseas smile Before I left for my trip, I had actually attempted, and managed quite a few btb weaves... until donking myself in the eye tongue Actually, uni's finally started for me, so I am going to practise tonight grin More btb work ahead! Woooh!Undómiel.------------------"From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring." TOLKIEN[This message has been edited by evenstar (edited 23 July 2001).]

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring.
TOLKIEN

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
quote:
shocked Too long but not long enough shocked
peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

ReddevilBRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
I have the same as Jammie,started about 6 weeks ago, i know all the moves, learned from vidoes(though dangerboy goes way too quick for me to see) but dont have any flow, speed is ok though, need to know what moves go into others. anyway i keep practacing.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I have been spinning for almost a year. I started out similar to Drake I saw some one spin glowstick and was hooked instantly. I have been pretty much self taught, and didn't even know abou this web site for a while. One of my favorite moves is the three swipe, because I figured it out and taught myself it with out ever being shone. Even with my self teaching I have quite a bit of experience with fire.I find it hard to belive that some people have spun for a good long time and never tried fire ( of course you should wait untill you can do it safely)Poi_Master_N"If god didn't make mistakes we wouldn't be here"

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...I started, let's see, all of, er, four days ago, since saturday... and I can do the weave, the reverse weave, the butterfly, the one handed butterfly, threading the needle, mexican wave, chasing the sun (occasional head bashes there though wink) and I've nearly got the reverse thread the needle and the btb weave.And I can kind of do dodgy versions of the 4 and 5 beat weaves, although I can't tell if they are right, because the videos are really... I suppose 'inadequate' is a good way of putting it.I'm pretty proud of my reverse weave, I just tought myself that half an hour ago.Incidentally, I started fire on the second night. Did anyone else have such a, heh, um, baptism of fire?Oh and I started staff/firestaff at the same times too, respectively. Aren't so many good tricks in the lessons i can do because i have a quarterstaff.------------------Blackie

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
HAH!!! I just got the 5 beat weave, wicked, apparently I was trying to do a 7 beat weave (no wonder it didnt bloody work without wraps) and I did the corkscrew, which is basically a sideways mexican wave, right?

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmmm... I have been playing with poi for about ... 7 months or something now on and off cause of sickness. I'm only shaking off being ill now so I am more willing than ever to try newer tricks and stuff. Getting paid to do it is fun but if I couldn't I'd still be doing it in 10 years for sure. I think it is a good way to elevate your spirits and 'escape'... much better than a drug addiction anyway eh wink ? I learnt btb weaves a few weeks after I started spinning and learning the normal weaves.. I think ppl who do funky flips and keep twirling are the real 'elite' btb weavers (cause who gives a crap about a btb weave when there are ppl doing twirling flips damnit!?!? wink ) And Josh you just haven't travelled to the right states!... smile although I guess you are travelling to some that are rather far away and seemingly congested with fire-ppl and knowledge. You'll get stuff to bring back for sure ...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Liquidmember
28 posts

Posted:
how do you say poiis it like boy but with a P????

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
yes liquid, that's correct (see previous threads)shine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Splat,I've seen impressive stuff in NSW (Sydney and Byron). I've seen some impressive stuff in Victoria, at Rainbow Serpent Festival there were some Talented ppl. While I was in Brissy I saw a few kids walking around with twirling gear...standing around for a while and stuff - but I never saw anyone twirl...oh well smilenext time I'm up - I'll try to contact you through this board - so we can hook up for a twirl, that is, if you are for it?I'm going to make an effort to be there for moonfest too.Josh

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning every day now since the spring of 1997. So about 4 years with Fire Poi. Lately though (Past few Months)I have been into the staff and Blowing Fire!! Lots of fun!! SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
dec 2000, the only problem is iv hit a point where iv leveled off a bit in skill advancement, need to work harder on the reverse 5 beat adn bhb stuff------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Check it out, my first post!I agree with you emptyset, I'm now encountering the same problem. I hate mental blocks!!!! I've been spinning since jan 2000 or somewhere around that area of time. Currently only glowsticks, but extremely eager to upgrade to fire, although I think maybe I should try some practice poi before I light up for the first time. Anybody have some advice that would help? I'm sure there have been posts like this before, I'm sorry for asking it the 99th time or something. I guess I should start doing btb stuff, but I'm also considering going back and refining some basic techniques. I'm gonna stop now cause its a lot and going off topic. Any advice is appreciated!!!Q

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
*If* I am up for it... ? Always smile And I think I am in dire need to visit ye olde Byron as I have not since I started and have seen the most amazing photos (that I've ever seen actually) come from in the hills near ye olde commercialising(ised?) Byron.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Page: