Forums > Social Chat > Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Timmymember
45 posts

Posted:
Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

Has anyone ever thought of making a "poiers" music album? A collection of music that's GREAT to poi to? What music would you put on it?

My favourite music..

I'll start it off with 'Bony Incus (the man with no name mix)', by Eat Static. What music would other people put on it?

Happy (rythmical) Swinging,

Tim

Music Music Music

Music to spin to, Tell us your favourite music to dance to

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
I've made compilations of my fave poi choons.As i dj Deep, psychedelic Trance and Techno, its mostly slower more intence tunes. I cant poi to drum and bass, (and the usuall pants like, R'n'B,pop or UK Garage) at all but when im not practicing and am doin fire, I love the tribal atmosphere created by drummers. If your into your tougher style of trance check out this choon ironically called,"Trippy" by 'Nick Sentience", its my poi choon at the moment.

twirlgirlmember
13 posts

Posted:
Hey there!I just thought I'd bump this up to the top, since people have been asking about music lately, and I've wanted to post on the topic myself... hope nobody minds! smileI'm just starting out at poi, so I haven't really put anything together with music formally yet (just a little practicing to music) but there are several artists/pieces that I really envision spinning to, so I thought I'd share them with you!The CruxshadowsGothic/Darkwave/Synthpop band from Florida. Really great stuff - if I had to pick one band to spin to, it'd be the Cruxshadows... their music is fastpaced, intriguing and multilevelled (they have some slower songs too) you can listen to some of their music here: https://artists.mp3s.com/artists/59/dancing_ferret_discs_inc.htmlTapping
the VeinAnother gothy band.. this time from Philly. (They considere themselves "alternative rock," but most people you talk to would label them goth.) Passionate music with lush female vocals. Their song that I'd love to spin to is "Butterfly," from their first CD. Listen to them here: https://artists.mp3s.com/artists/64/tapping_the_vein.htmlLoreena
McKennittI agree! Loreena would be great to spin to... "Santiago" comes to mind...Ashley MacIsaacCrazy fiddler from Nova Scotia... many of his CD's are beautiful, traditional music, but I'd like to spin to some of the music on "Hi, How Are You Today," in which he brilliantly abuses traditional instruments to create crazy fast-paced music that I don't even know how to classify. You can preview his albums here: https://artists.mp3s.com/artists/c5000/ASHLEYMACISAAC_5000515.htmlSting
- "Desert Rose"Just seems like this song would be really beautiful to spin to.Anyway.. there's my 2 cents.. I know some of these artists are kinda obscure, which is why I wanted to mention them to you all and give you a place to sample their music. If you're looking to buy any CD's from these artists, and you're having a hard time finding them, I highly recommend IsoTank: https://www.isotank.com
(I know they carry The Cruxshadows, Tapping the Vein and Loreena McKennitt, and I believe they can order anything they don't normally carry for you.) Have fun, everyone! smile

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
I started to put one together for myself heres my tracklisting so far:1. Powerman 5000- When worlds collide2. Outkast- Bombs over bagdad (rage against the machine rock remix)3. Goldfinger- still counting the days (punk's wikked to spin to)4. Silver Blue- Do you know5. DJ's @ work- Someday6. Rob Zombie- Dragula7. Rimini Project- Sounds good (Club mix)8. Gigi D'agostino- Lamours toujours (Johnny Vicious club mix)9. Milk inc.- walk on waterand thats my list so far...any suggestions------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
If you want fiddles. You should try the Levellers. Jon Sevink is one of the finest fiddle players in the world.I would recommend "What You Know".Personally, whilst practicing, I currently spin to:Lab4 - Rock the HousePransterz & Dynamic Intervention - Motherfucker DJMarco V - GODD (Innercity Mix)Psychaos - Mad Man ScratchyPsychaos - Chaos To OrderLab4 - MachineFractal Glider - Chasing GaneshaOS1 - Bouncing BassLab4 - DreamlandHallucinogen - TrancespotterMagnum Force - Unlucky PunkAnd an S4 track that I don't know the name of. [This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 18 March 2002).]

Meh

elliwmember
25 posts

Posted:
i have to say i havent been able to stop listening to afi lately and some of their tunes have a grat beat. i think though that you seem to twirl to music you like to listen to in general. agree?oh and for those tool fans out there they are playing soon so check out www.gigsandtours.com . its great to hear what others listen to as im always interested in muzic.anyone like redsnapper , the herbaliser or the orb? their quite cool , havent tried spinning to em yet though, infact i'm going right now. bye

little miss firefly, burning bright,lights your way all through the night.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I like The Herbalizer. Plus anybody else on Ninjatunes. It's the one record label I've found, that has consistantly good artists right across the board. Herbalizer, Coldcut, Mr Scruff, Dj Food, Funky Porcini etc. Can't fault any of them.I saw Red Snapper last summer. I can't say i was very impressed by them.

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
lemonjelly, KY album, beautiful.Good choices cantus Herbaliser, wicked musicEspecially like the Very Mercenary LP.But I dont often spin to itI go for more chilled stuff to play:Mr scruff tracks 2,3,12 (i think) are groovy.Glass

xamax1BRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hey everybody,I just figured i'd toss in my suggestion(s) for music. Now, I don't know who either of these songs are by, but they're both pretty good, and kinda different:I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Guy Richie movie 'Snatch.' Tracks 2 and 3 on the soundtrack are great. Track 2 (really the first song on the cd, track 1 is just brad pitt babble) is the song played over the opening credits w/ a simple bass line, and track 3 is a little harder w/ more distortion and a really quiet, creepy section. I'm sure you can find them on napster or some similar program.~mx

takitizy

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think those tracks, xamax1, would be Diamonds by Klint and Supermoves by Overseer

Meh

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
Yer the snatch soundtrack is good. Massive attack has as piece on it called angels (I thinks that is what it is called anyway) it is really good. They play it when the Pikies caravans are being burned and also when they are getting thier revenge.BTW: I F&*^ING hate Pikes.PS not really im not opioniated either way it was a line from the movie that I felt like repeating.

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

clairebearmember
52 posts
Location: jersey - Little rock, not quite there and almost h...

Posted:
Musis to poi to!! ohh theres so much, I'll agree with the "AfroCelt Sound System" though, and also if you like fast and celtic then try some "Martyn Bennet" (mix of trad and dance) also "Head Mix Collective" (though I'm not sure how easy much of their stuf is to get hold of.For more earthy, connected stuff I love "Baka Beyond" their latest album "Sogo" is really beautiful.But for me nothing beats having a group of drummers and didge players, getting those live beats and the constant flow and change of improvisation, keeps your brain and arms tuned to what moves you can transition into next.Roll on wednesday night smile smile smileBig love and rainbow light xxx

Be Cautious of who you sniff, they could be an EnemyBig love and fluffy rainbow light in bundles. Bear xxx xxx xxx

SteelWngsBRONZE Member
169 posts

Posted:
Well IMHO, when it comes to spinning I find that the more exotic the music the better. I love fast techno, but I have found that a slower beat helps me with my footwork and technique. I like to spin to music that gives what I'm doing a sensual feel and a sort of mystical quality. The new albums that I have picked up are by Sequoia Records. They do a lot of "New Age" stuff. I figured I would include a few samples Middle Eastern World BeatDivine - https://www.sequoiarecords.com/sound/106/divine_mp3.htmlOndine
- https://www.sequoiarecords.com/sound/106/ondine_mp3.htmlShape
Shifter - https://www.sequoiarecords.com/sound/106/shapeshifter_mp3.htmlAmerindian
Tribal drummingThunder Dreamer - https://www.sequoiarecords.com/sound/836/thunder_mp3.htmlReverence
- https://www.sequoiarecords.com/sound/836/reverence_mp3.html
Enter the Sacred - https://www.sequoiarecords.com/sound/836/enter_mp3.html------------------Blessings
to all, Peter "When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling."

Blessings to all,
Peter
When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon ...you just have to outrun the halfling.

LPHmember
20 posts

Posted:
Hulio Iglesias does the trick for me .......kiddin'

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
For a more mystical, Eastern feel, try Indian Morning Theme by Up, Bustle and Out.

Meh

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Right then.Normally when practicing twirling I am doing it outside and with no music all on my lonesome. I have moved back to nowhere, and the kiddies here are not hardy enough to come out in the rain and wind to practice, so I find myself doing it at when i get home in the middle of the night. Twirling to no-music is marvellous because the rhythm is upto you, you have nothing to stick to and speed up or slow down as you wish.But I have been wanting to twirl to music more, and had a go at Dave + Chris' party at the weekend. My tests concluded that the Psy-trance there was damn quick, and found myself losing it when trying to keep up. But I heard Dom talking about tuning in on different aspects of it, not just the thud-thud-thud-thud. But I was only hearing the thud. But i was canned. My results, therefore, are as yet un-conclusive, but if i want to do it in clubs, i shall have to listen for the plinkle-weeees and the shooooooooooms. I also want to twirl to TooL. Could just be me, but they love their silly poly-rhythm extravagances, but it is quite slow and bouncy normally, with lots of contrast, so could make for good performances.

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

*Spinstar*member
6 posts

Posted:
Funny, I wondered earlier today what others twirl to. My faves are:Nine Inch Nails (especially Pretty Hate Machine.This album and Poi go together flawlessly )ReggaeCrash WorshipI keep saying spin and think about DJing. Does that every happen to anyone else?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Kato spins records and spins poi. But not at the same time. Not sure of your point spinstar. But it seems to fit anyhoo.

Meh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
yeah, I prefer slower stuff to spin to, but when out dancing I love psy trance. So if the beat's too fast you can go slower by reacting only to every other beat. Or as Moohaahaa said, tune into the 'plinkle-weeees and the shooooooooooms' in the music and make shapes to those. You have to try to anticipate the music somewhat, but it's more interesting than just the beats. I think that stems from the fact that I need more than just beats to dance to, I'm also an electronica fan and like weirdy bits in music.

ishkasallymoBRONZE Member
12 posts

Posted:
massive attack and leftfield are fairly decent to twirl to......

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
agreed Massive Attack.But i guess it depends on mood... erm...1.Lamb2. Autechre3. Amon Tobin4. Quite a lot of Aphex Twin tracks especially 'Flim'5. Cylob6. System of a Down7. Global Goonahhhh! Loads of stuff!!!!!!! Something with a large drum/bass beat or a dirty dirty guitar riff. Yeah!! smile

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Oh, and Prodigy. 'Voodoo People' is great Garbo. I'm feeling that.

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
dibs, excellent list! Although I don't know about spinning to Aphex, it's a bit hectic!Hmmm, might as well ask, has anyone else heard of Capitol K? It'd be interesting to spin to as it has beats in it but is also quite disjointed. Either way, it's excellent music.[This message has been edited by -Dom- (edited 22 March 2002).]

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
thought I'd ask since it seems that psy- goa- psycho-trance seems to be pretty popular anywhere but the US. Could someone who digs this stuff recommend a DJ mix of Goa. You know, the smoothly mixed-make ya dance your ass off for 70 minutes-non- stop kinda stuff. Pretty fast, thump-thump-thump-thump, wicki-wicki-wicki-wicki, wha-wha-wha-wha kinda stuff??Much appreciated!!!tone

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Not sue what you could get over there Toneman. There's dozens of compilation albums out What I can give you is a Planet Zogg playlist and you can try and get some of the tracks from it:Nearly An Eternity - PropulsionBug - Zen Terrorists - MeshBlunt Force Trauma - Zen TerroristsNightmare Walking - Toxen - RedemptionSummer Slam - Opal - Square recsIndustry(Greg's Zogg edit) - Green Martian - BonzaiFast forward To Madness - ? - WhiteFlash - Nuw Idol rmx - NukleuzReload - Deedrah (GMS remix) - HadshotSandstoned - Propulsion Hope that's of some help to you.[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 22 March 2002).]

Meh

twirlgirlmember
13 posts

Posted:
Ooh!! and I forgot Kitaro!The album Kojiki by the Japanese New Age band Kitaro.. I haven't actually listened to this in years, but they were the second band to come to mind when I started thinking about music for spinning (right after the Cruxshadows). Really intriguing music... very overt Japanese sound... music varies from slow and beautiful to fast and.. beautiful! smileIt strikes me that this album would be PERFECT for anyone playing with fire fans!

Solmember
33 posts

Posted:
If anyone is looking for a good music for poi, then you should get SHPONGLE "Tales of the inexpressible" - really good chill out, but with the right rythms and very"flowy". It's made by Simon Posford and the whole album is a little work of art.I think you can get it on www.juno.com or Psychodelic Dream Temple in Camden. Enjoy

Sol

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I like Devine Moments of Truth by Shpongle.Katinca recommended it to me.

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
no-one's going to agree with me, but the song Dogmanaut 2000 by Frigid Vinegar is great fun - not particularly "moody" or whatever but great beats (this is coming from someone who doesn't really like/appreciate dance music)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
So - if I was going to buy one trancey/dancey CD does Shpongle get a good rating? I don't mind drum n bass, some trance is ok, but I can't stand techno. Advise me...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
That track had better be good Durbs as it's taking a serious amount of time to download. If it's crap I fear i shall have to cut your feet off....

Meh

Page: ...