SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
forward butterfly..bring it up over your head into a horizontal butterfly (still in standard time) then drop it into a horizontal mexican wave..pretty simple..i have never tried tocombo those together..thought maybe some of you more experienced peeps have. how does it look?? i will try that one tonight..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
By horozontal mexican wave, do you mean like the corkscrew? If so, yep, I do the regular butterfly, then up over the head and down into the corkscrew. The hardest part, for my thinking, is bringing the butterfly up over your head without hitting yourself!Good luck mate wink

spinmember
10 posts

Posted:
A relativly easy way to go in to a horizontal butterfly over your head is to turn 90 degrees from a windmill, to do so just turn only one hand. It doesn't come out flat right away but this is good because it is cool to see it slowly flatten out. A little variation from there would be to do a reverse butterfly low (kinda like when your at the bottom of a corkscrew) or thread the needle done horizontal.Hope some of that helps.peace

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
An easier way to go into an overhead butterfly is to start from side-circles, and do a crossover move in each hand, but so that the crossover brings each hand overhead, rather than across your front. Remember that you wind up reversing directions in the process. Takes a little practice to get your hands together quickly, which is important to avoid the dreaded butterfly collision, but once you get it down, it feels natural and easy.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
One thing I've been doing which is somewhat related to this stuff... If you go from regular butterfly to overhead butterfly, instead of doing the regular quick transition, you can slowly tilt the poi 180 degrees, going through the horizontal plane to do it.It seems easier to get from behind the head to normal, than it is to do it the other way. I don't know how good this looks, but it really works the muscles... smile

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
cool...im not bringing it down into a regular corkscrew..HMwave, is essentially a corkscrew, but the are traveling in opposite directions..And i tried last night and it worked very well. If i timed it right and put enough velocity into it, im thinking i could bring it right back up into the over head BF...man you guys help me generate so many new ideas to try...Thanx peepsSuper'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Neat, Superman! I never thought of it but I'll be sure to appropriate it and tell people I invented it. *giggle*I'm trying to figure out a way to get the 'horizontal' butterfly over my head, leaning back, then doing the horizontal mexican wave under my *back* rather than under my chest..I think I need shorter strings than I use currently..or else need to get a lot stronger.-protie

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Thanks Adam, that was almost too easy and I like the feel of it. You guys never cease to give me something new to work on when my own creative powers are in a slump. smileForgot to try yours Super, will tackle that one tomorrow.------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
hmmm thanks guys again for the inspiration. I decided to get my butt into gear and got the btb circular weave (after lots of visualization and whacks to the knuckles) thanks to a couple of people here =) Whoever said no pain no gain wasn't kidding.. i forgot about the move you described super - it is so easy to forget what your hands are doing! If I concentrate too much I screw up if I don't concentrate enough I screw up even worse .... its just finding that damn happy balance.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
protozoa:mexican wave under you back...that is awesome...please let me know if you pull that one. If you do, make sure to get it on video, Malcom would definately have to out that in the lessons section under "youll never pull this move as long as you live" it would come after the superduper extremely advanced moves...hee heee grin I would love to see that move pulled off...------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey you guysI don't think you can go from the Mexican Wave to the Cork Screw? Mexican Wave is opposits, and cork screw is same direction. you can go from Cork to windmill, but not mex wave to windmill, you see.Try puting a Tripple or Quad into your Cork, Its tricky but cool, ALSO you can go from a cork at split time to together, turn following with the poi in front, swing under your legs by lifting your left leg, (when spinning counter clock, right) then your right leg to let them out from between your legs. Its a really cool trick and you can get low with it. you can go back into the cork if you want, but I Go above my Head together then back down between once more. (just for effect, and if noone got it the first time) Happy SpinningSki

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Ive almost got the quad cork (thanks Tall Juggler) When i do, the first trick i will do with it is the one i saw on Jo Derry's video. It is so cool and i could use it in at least 5 different ways...its doing a regular corkscrew, then as you turn 180 doa quad above your head, then drop back into a CS..Fucking awesome!!!Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
quote:
Hey you guysI don't think you can go from the Mexican Wave to the Cork Screw? Mexican Wave is opposits, and cork screw is same direction.
...from skihey ski...im dissapointed in you...Have some vision my brother. jesus this is going to be hard to explain...Check it out.. Ill describe what each arm is doing seperately, but in actuality, they are happening simotainiously...your body will do a 360 rotationboth are going to do essentially the same motion. RIGHT POI: as the POI begins to pass over your head...instead of over, drop it deep as you can at a slight angle behind your head like youre going into a windmill. As it is traveling downward, turn your palm up and straighten your arm out and take it out away from your body horizontally to the ground...and bring it back in front of your body. While all of this is happening you are turning to the left.LEFT POI: as the right POI goes behind your head...the left poi in traveling inward under your body.as it begins to pass your torso, drop the poi by straightening your armand it will almost drag the ground. do this as you turn to the left so that it doesnt hit your left leg.on it way up, take your arm back and over behind your head as best you can (this is difficult because your hand is contorted weird) from here you will feel that it will be traveling in the same direction as the right POI. this happens because youve already altered the path of the right POI, and the rotation of your body reverses the path of the left. (your arms will both be out n front of you and straight. The POI will be traveling together.From hereyou should be completing the full 360 rotation and you can go right nto a standard CS..It works..honest injun. It is just hard a hell to explain..Mess with it...youll fell it.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain