Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Alright, so this one sounds like it is going to be interesting to learn. Forward thread the needle, no problem, almost boring...I cant quite visualize the reverse... do you push from under your arm to wrist? Seems like it would make sense. Please help! Thanx to all in advance------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
I can't really help you there, cause i struggle a little with reverse butterflys and varients thereof. What i really want to get is a backwards one-handed butterfly, but any tips on just doing butterflys backwards would be helpful.

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Wow, I never even though of trying a backwards one handed... thanx Mr. Sock. I wouldnt even try to do a rev butterfly until I met up for the first time with some fellow twirlers in my area. I was always dodging the balls... and just gave up... just practice a whole bunch and be prepared to get some fat lips...------------------~I dont care if they eat me alive, Ive got better things to do than survive. ~Ani

Wow

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
I have no problem with forward thread-the-needle but quite a lot of trouble with the reverse. I _can_ do it, ,and with some practice I could probably get it _reliably_. smileBut the way it works is essentially the exact opposite of the forward thread-the-needle. When the poi are near the top of the swing (say at two o'clock and at ten o'clock) take the hand that's on top, draw it back and stick it under your other hand. Repeat repeat repeat, thwack on the head, untangle, recover. :P That's how it works for me, anyway. grin

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Shibaki....play around with the reverse butterfly...it is awesome...i learned at least 6 moves that stemed off of a reverse butterfly.careful with a behind the head reverse BF...you have toleave it behind your head for about 1 secong longer than yopu would a forward BF...i learned that the hard way..thought id share because its the obviuos transition...id love to help you with any reverse BF moves, because i learned all my moves from reverse spinning. The reverse BF is an awesome gateway to other moves.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
oh and i think the rev, TTN is possible, i have tried it few times, and have come very close..."S"

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
another thing about the reverse butterfly is that it is much easier to go behind tha back with a reverse butterfly than it is with a forwards one. In fact, I *still* can't bring the forwards butterfly behind my back.And don't forget going from the reverse butterfly to the reverse mexican wave. I found this to be a real brainfnord the first time I tried it.-p.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hey pj...i had the same problem with bringing the forward BF behind your back..but i actually figured this out about a week ago..again practice with one first...this is hard to explain...just play with it and youll understand it....have you seen the practice video??its the same thing as "one each way" just without turning your body...practice with one, youll get it...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
OK, I still can't go straight into a one handed from a backwards butterfly, but its possible to do it another way. Do a forwards one-hand butterfly and leg wrap. Don't know why i didn't think of it sooner. smile

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Hey Mr Sock...try this one..One handed forward butterfly..then on the up swing..take it over your head and turn 180 ...whala! reverse butterfly..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Thanks super! I've been doin one handed behind the head for a while, but i didn't really think of doin anything where i turned around. Now where are my poi... grin

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
Hell yeah, I actually started practicing the Rev Needle today and I got it after about 10 minutes. It still feels really funky though, and the tails on my comets, dont know if I love em or hate em. I know that I will be grateful for how precise they make me do the moves later on though...Thanks all

Wow

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I actually prefer the rev. thread the needle...I like how your hands appear like water flowing uphill smileonce you get both, you can do alternating forwards and reverse TTN, which I think is actually easier than alternating butterfly fwd to rev...I like anything that allows me to go round in circles...I guess I was a Whirling Dervish in a previous life smileJosh

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
SHIBAKI, when i had probs learning new stuff on tailed poi i'd wrap the tail tightly around the poi head and tie it on semi permanant like, at least till i figured out the trick, then back with the tails for some refinement smile SUPERMAN, is it possible to turn round while over the head onehanded butterflying i gave up trying. how are you holdin em, that might make the difference, i have double loop handles so i leave the left and hook one of the right-poi handle loops onto my left little finger. when i turn i cant figure out what to do with my hand.we should come up with a standardised shorthand for all these complicated tricks we're startin to do:"over the head one handed butterfly" could beBF-OH-1h. hey can you do an R2D2? grinJOSH, i'm with u on that circular thing. 5beat circular weave is tasty. [W-cir-5b]?cant get a W-btb-cir-3b though. Although i did recently get the W-btb-5b and as i'd never seen anyone do it or mention it before, i was very happy with myself .till i logged on here and found people already doin it. d'oh! i cant keep up. bobrob

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Ok, I managed to get the reverse thread the needle yesterday. Immediately followed it up with a thread the needle with arms to one side, poi behind the back. A little while later I got an over the head thread the needle in. Still working on the btb ttn.Now, can anyone do a thread the needle in split time? I *thought* was able to to this on Monday night, but I have not been able to do it since. -p.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
Bobrob: i cant do it everytime, but i get it going in a froward O-H-BF palm is down. i am standing with it sort of at my side. Then as they are going up. I throw my hand straight up and over my head as i turn to the right.but at the same time i turn my hand over to where my palm is up. the most important part of this is to keep within the beat of the BF. no hesitation. When you do a Fbf behind your head , it is a reverse BF. i saw a guy put a bf behind his head and gradually turn his body around and turned it into a RBF. So i figured, why cant you just do that in one beat. Then after that i thought, why cant you do it with one hand..And pj, you are getting sick my man..."S"------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

- Mark Twain

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
cheers super, i'll give it a shot...ttn is a bit of a weird trick for me, its lovely to perform - feels so smooth, an all that, but i noticed on videos of me doing fire that it doesnt look all that different to a standard butterfly, especailly from the front and back ( if you were to be performing to an audience). slowed down works best for me so that i can exaggerate the move and get the most out of it. but generally i use it only for a few beats in a burn (usually in a slow bit or buildup in music)had a wicked poi sesh in this huge disused quarry i found today. red sandstone or something, like martian landscape grin fun